Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Winter Olympics 2018

Watching BBC News this morning they had some slot called news watch, they read out some of the criticisms of the coverage and the BBC minion basically said, we don't care we are right you are wrong. BBC doesn't give a toss about the people who pay the TV Tax as long as they get the money

Doesn't seem like a great return on investment for speed skating unless it was just a one off 5m punt. By comparison, the Dutch are going home with 18 medals, 8 gold pretty much all in long track skating. The annual budget for skating here is €10-11m per year.

We're always going to struggle to compete in sports where lots of people take part in their own country. It's one of the reasons that we're ok at bobsleigh and skeleton; there's very little grassroots level competition in either sport so our only real disadvantage is location.

Doesn't seem like a great return on investment for speed skating unless it was just a one off 5m punt. By comparison, the Dutch are going home with 18 medals, 8 gold pretty much all in long track skating. The annual budget for skating here is €10-11m per year.

We're always going to struggle to compete in sports where lots of people take part in their own country. It's one of the reasons that we're ok at bobsleigh and skeleton; there's very little grassroots level competition in either sport so our only real disadvantage is location.
I wouldn't say that we're ok at bobsleigh after looking at the results, where the fully funded men's team place lower than a woman's team that was crowd funded.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say that we're ok at bobsleigh after looking at the results, where the fully funded men's team place lower than a woman's team that was crowd funded.

I would. The women were fully funded for the majority of the olympic cycle and the men's competition is of a significantly higher standard than the women.

Caught the biathlon relay the other day.
The Huns had a good lead, but blew it on the final leg as the Frog closed in, and the Hun ballsed his final standing shoot - 3 misses.
But during all the drama, local TV decided this was a good idea to flight a Toyota advert! Yay! 4 blokes lined up on the shooting area, and they shrink the picture to less than a quarter of the screen size -so you battled to see the results box - and put the advert next to it for 30 seconds.

Hope you learned something from that:- Don't buy Toyota and tell all your friends.

Scotland :smile: (sorry, Team GB!) just lost the bronze medal match against Japan. Strangely compelling stuff, but I could do without the emoting at the end, led by the high priestess, Clare Balding.

Scotland [emoji2] (sorry, Team GB!) just lost the bronze medal match against Japan. Strangely compelling stuff, but I could do without the emoting at the end, led by the high priestess, Clare Balding.
Hence why I watched it on Eurosport then turned over immediately for Ire v Wales.

Scotland :smile: (sorry, Team GB!) just lost the bronze medal match against Japan. Strangely compelling stuff, but I could do without the emoting at the end, led by the high priestess, Clare Balding.
I was never bothered about curling before but as you say it has been strangely compelling. Going for a 2 at the end was a gamble too far. The stakes were too high and the stats in various matches showed a lack of accuracy to pull it off. However, it was a team decision as far as I'm aware. Good to see Lauren Gray play this year. She played very well indeed throughout the games and seems steady and focused. I'm wondering if she might have the tactics and leadership skills for 2022.

Clare f**king Balding, tedious lesbian. The only thing that surprises me is how she has failed to muscle her way into football, rugby and cricket as the main presenter/pundit, the BBC seem to think she is the font of all knowledge on every other sport on the planet.

Did I mention I despise her?

Clare f**king Balding, tedious lesbian. The only thing that surprises me is how she has failed to muscle her way into football, rugby and cricket as the main presenter/pundit, the BBC seem to think she is the font of all knowledge on every other sport on the planet.

Did I mention I despise her?
We'd never have guessed