Winter Olympics 2018

Despite rooting for team Canada, I do take a perverse pleasure in seeing the men's hockey team fall flat on their faces. There is nothing quite like seeing a smug Canadian who believes that hockey is a national religion have their hopes turn to ashes as the men's team finishes out of the medals. The rage and recrimination of the betrayed Canadian hockey fan is something worthy of the Old Testament.
I personally want to see the Canadian women’s team get a pasting, they have more arrogance than the men by a long shot.....

I personally want to see the Canadian women’s team get a pasting, they have more arrogance than the men by a long shot.....
Agreed. I'm glad that they finally took away the photo of the women's team that was hanging over one of the porcelain chargers at the pub I frequent.

As they say, familiarity breeds contempt.

Madame Vauban has just stared at the curling and said
"There's a lot of words used to describe this sport, which individually I understand...
But put together become gobbledegook with a Scots accent"

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Scottish commentator for the curling has just referred to the GB team as Scottish. Strewth.
TBH, it's not as if any of the other UK citizenship are represented in the curling team, is it?

In the same way that all English male rowers are called Hugo and all English female rowers are called Poppy all American male snowborders seem to be called Brad and all English guys seem to be called Tarquin.
Presumably Steve Redgrave was the exception that proves the rule, him being comprehensive educated albeit in a rowing-heavy town.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
This whinging Elise Christie, when is her next race? I'll want it set to record so I can watch the carnage, blame everyone else and burst into tears, again.
Tuesday apparently.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
DNF in the 2004 olympic marathon, 23rd in 2008.
I have always felt there was something not quite kosher with PR. However, now she is one of the Beeb's shining lights there is no chance of 'outing' her. She is one of the commentators that I mute as I just don't like her and feel her whole persona is false.

This whinging Elise Christie, when is her next race? I'll want it set to record so I can watch the carnage, blame everyone else and burst into tears, again.
No need, it'll be repeated endlessly while Claire Balding shows fake empathy and gushes about the tragedy. A plane crash is a tragedy, child cancer is a tragedy, some lassie falling over and getting a bruise isn't.

It appears that the delightful Anastasia’s husband (Bronze winners of the mixed doubles curling) may have failed a drugs test. As a die-hard curler I am simultaneously disappointed that the sport has been tarnished, and hopeful that she will dump him and become available*

*as if....

It appears that the delightful Anastasia’s husband (Bronze winners of the mixed doubles curling) may have failed a drugs test. As a die-hard curler I am simultaneously disappointed that the sport has been tarnished, and hopeful that she will dump him and become available*

*as if....
I sincerely hope that it was a style of doping that was traditional in curling. . . Two double whiskies and a packet of Player's.

*as if....
So you're the curling fan. I wondered why we had to sit through hours of it waiting for the few minutes of excitement from another sport before...we go back to the curling. Okay, I recognise that it was one of the original winter games sports and I guess if you are playing its interesting but for me at least I'd rather watch grass grow for a bit of excitement. Of course part of my resistance to this may be the Balding constantly trying to drum up interest when its hard to find. Why someone would want to dope themselves for curling is beyond me. Its not like taking anabolic steroids is going to improve somebody's game.

And while I'm on a bit of a rant; were there no men available for the studio commentary team? I've been finding it hard to find anybody with depth of expertise in the studio team. The older tea tray woman was informative and was sticking to the facts, similarly with Christopher Dean of the ice skating. On the piste there is Graham Bell who only seems to have been allowed to do a camera run of the DH pistes and Ed Leigh at the snowboarding events. I long for the halcyon days of David Vine. By contrast on ZDF they have mach less bumping of the gums and more info and experts as well as 5 minute information films explaining the basics of the different sports.

Right time for dinner.

So you're the curling fan. I wondered why we had to sit through hours of it waiting for the few minutes of excitement from another sport before...we go back to the curling. Okay, I recognise that it was one of the original winter games sports and I guess if you are playing its interesting but for me at least I'd rather watch grass grow for a bit of excitement. Of course part of my resistance to this may be the Balding constantly trying to drum up interest when its hard to find. Why someone would want to dope themselves for curling is beyond me. Its not like taking anabolic steroids is going to improve somebody's game.

And while I'm on a bit of a rant; were there no men available for the studio commentary team? I've been finding it hard to find anybody with depth of expertise in the studio team. The older tea tray woman was informative and was sticking to the facts, similarly with Christopher Dean of the ice skating. On the piste there is Graham Bell who only seems to have been allowed to do a camera run of the DH pistes and Ed Leigh at the snowboarding events. I long for the halcyon days of David Vine. By contrast on ZDF they have mach less bumping of the gums and more info and experts as well as 5 minute information films explaining the basics of the different sports.

Right time for dinner.
I don’t know the answers to your questions. The appearance of Balding’s chin is my cue to go and put the kettle on.

BBC1's version of loose women is getting beyond a joke, thank Odin for Eurosport actually managed to watch a whole session of long track speed skating.

BBC1's version of loose women is getting beyond a joke, thank Odin for Eurosport actually managed to watch a whole session of long track speed skating.
Loose Women - great comparison. No wonder the BBC Olympic coverage has been a turn off for many. With the exception of Hazel Irving, the rest of the smug, cliched, childish bunch needs a severe culling. Awful doesn’t come close.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
droopy-moostache The NAAFI Bar 32
Goatman Sports, Adventure Training and Events 63
re-stilly The NAAFI Bar 4