Winter Olympics 2018

Because apparently it's too cold for snowfall. And it's definitely too windy for any of the snow that does fall, to stay where it lands for more than a minute or so.

The biathlon centre is normally a golf course. They've been snowmaking non stop for the last 6 weeks to make a track.

Most of the snow sports are happening on snow cannoned courses.
Give it 20 years and it will be in Saudi, run under spotlights at night.

Japanese women's curling team are an annoyingly noisy lot.

Although some on here would likely enjoy having the ladies curl one out on their chests.

Don’t know about now but if you did snow queen, back in the day, you had to do cross country, for some reason the MOD, didn’t think down hill a useful military skill.
I believe as it was classified as AT, there had to be a 'serious' element to the proceedings else it would end up as a banzai skiing, queue jumping free-for-all with scant regard to alcohol abuse in the evenings.

Oh...Hang on...

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lets hope there's going to be a "Kelly Holmes" ending, otherwise she's beginning to look a little like Paula Radcliffe, or for those of us who are older David Bedford.
At least her failures are from crashing. Radcliffe's are underperformance, which I'm sure is a total coincidence when it repeatedly occurs at the event with the most rigorous drugs testing. It's not like there's much suspicious in her performance: she only went 2% faster than any previous runner in an event dominated by a different racial grouping.

I've just learned that 'our' bronze medal in skiing has been won by an America, with a Malaysian mother and a British father. Wouldn't it be simpler to scrap all the national bit and just let them compete. No flags, no anthems, no reason for state sponsored doping. They're all professionals so let their sponsors stick their adverts on their bibs.

A great day for medals today, but I’ve just turned off the ‘highlights show’ on the BBC. Giggling ‘reporters’ and excessive background music accompanying everything. Does everything nowadays have to be dumbed down?! Whatever happened to proper Sport reporting? David Coleman must be turning in his grave. Fecking dire!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Gold and a successful defence of title to Yarnold and bronze to Deas in the Skeleton.
I watched that earlier without knowing the result, fantastic who would have thought a few years back that GB would be defending and retaining the skeleton Olympic gold and picking up a bronze as well. Well done to all concerned.

A great day for medals today, but I’ve just turned off the ‘highlights show’ on the BBC. Giggling ‘reporters’ and excessive background music accompanying everything. Does everything nowadays have to be dumbed down?! Whatever happened to proper Sport reporting? David Coleman must be turning in his grave. Fecking dire!
I am not a great fan of the camera on the commentators, I am more interested in what is happening not on their reaction.

I'm a fan of the Olympics, in particular the winter version. Its all well and good being the fastest round a running track but throwing oneself down a mountain at high speed where the possible consequences of a mistake is a long stay in hospital or possibly death does add a certain frisson of excitement to the proceedings. I notice that there seems to be a new trend in throwing young children down the ski jump these days. Some of them look like they haven't yet started growing body hair.

Well done to the lumpies in the tea tray racing, shows what can be done with some decent support but oh please spare us from the sycophantic BBC punditry. Thankfully I have access to Eurosport and the German channels otherwise the TV might not survive the next week.

Seeing as a Czech snowboarder won the women's Super G this morning in lycra (and on borrowed kit), you could be right. Saying that though, the Beeb were talking to a snowboard freestyler/half pipe rider the other day, they reckon that the baggy kit gives them freedom of movement in the stunts that they perform.

ETA - Winter Olympics: Ester Ledecka - the snowboarder who won gold on borrowed skis
That was a cracking win, great watching her reaction as she couldn't quite work out what her placing was.

I remember when snow boarding started, right bunch of twats in baggy rapper clothing, usually called Chad, Troy or Storm or some other nauseating Yank name. Had great fun selecting targets and taking out the "gheys on trays" on the piste. Fortunately the resorts started separating the two sports and I have to admit that snowboarding has developed considerably. I still love it when one of the mountain chasers smacks his chops of the piste sending clothing and teeth in all directions.

As to baggy or lycra giving the advantage. From experience I can say that lycra has the advantage. It really is a second skin and does not restrict movement in any direction. Its possible to recover from some situations where clothing would just get in the way. Speeds in skiing are generally higher than in snowboarding and baggy clothing flapping in the wind would work as an airbrake. One thing lycra isn't is warm. Standing in the wind at the top of a downhill course waiting for your bib number to be called can be a bit parky. Worse is needing a piss through a combination of the cold and nerves. Fortunately that feeling is over the moment you leave the start gate. The material is also designed to stay intact in the event of a fall and help avoid piste rashl. Wiping out at 100 kph and flying over an icy piste isn't a good day out but happens to everyone at some time or other.

Last edited:
At least her failures are from crashing. Radcliffe's are underperformance, which I'm sure is a total coincidence when it repeatedly occurs at the event with the most rigorous drugs testing. It's not like there's much suspicious in her performance: she only went 2% faster than any previous runner in an event dominated by a different racial grouping.
Please be specific on ''her failures'', re Paula Ratcliffe

Has anybody seen a medal yet? The podium ceremonies just seem to give 'em the cuddly toy.

Despite rooting for team Canada, I do take a perverse pleasure in seeing the men's hockey team fall flat on their faces. There is nothing quite like seeing a smug Canadian who believes that hockey is a national religion have their hopes turn to ashes as the men's team finishes out of the medals. The rage and recrimination of the betrayed Canadian hockey fan is something worthy of the Old Testament.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
droopy-moostache The NAAFI Bar 32
Goatman Sports, Adventure Training and Events 63
re-stilly The NAAFI Bar 4