Winter Olympics 2018

£5m of funding for speed skating produced...nothing - all hopes on one skater who seems to have an issue with the rules, hence all the disquals and crashes. The two-woman bob crowdfunded themselves and produced a creditable 8th place. We need to sort the money side out. Oh and curling is the most boring sport in the world.

Seems team GB is doomed to obscurity in the winter events. With exception of a couple there just isn't the funding compared to other nations. If the UK had an ice track I'm sure it would benefit the tea try team and the bobsled and encourage more to take part unfortunately they're not cheap to build or maintain.

In the alpine events we actually have good skiers coming through the system but they're going to be hit by lack of funding. That was made evident in the ski cross last night. GB's entrant, who lives in Meribel (IIRR), was our best showing. Commentary war along the lines of "....and she's starting to reel them in", complete tosh, the other competitors were in a different race and we finished last. That's not to say that she was a bad skier just that there's just too much of a difference between our best and the extra experience (and funding) that the others have.
TBF to her, she got a stinker of a start, and she wasn't the only one, and lost all momentum on the uphill start thingy, and was never in the month of Sundays going to catch them up

TBF to her, she got a stinker of a start, and she wasn't the only one, and lost all momentum on the uphill start thingy, and was never in the month of Sundays going to catch them up
That was pretty much my thought as well but still the Bell boy thought she was going to reel the others in. She also seems to have taken a beating with various injuries so probably lucky to even be in the starting line up.

£5m of funding for speed skating produced...nothing - all hopes on one skater who seems to have an issue with the rules, hence all the disquals and crashes. The two-woman bob crowdfunded themselves and produced a creditable 8th place. We need to sort the money side out. Oh and curling is the most boring sport in the world.
Doesn't seem like a great return on investment for speed skating unless it was just a one off 5m punt. By comparison, the Dutch are going home with 18 medals, 8 gold pretty much all in long track skating. The annual budget for skating here is €10-11m per year.

Doesn't seem like a great return on investment for speed skating unless it was just a one off 5m punt. By comparison, the Dutch are going home with 18 medals, 8 gold pretty much all in long track skating. The annual budget for skating here is €10-11m per year.
To be fair to the Dutch, 1. Their winters are colder than ours 2. half the country is under water half the time so they can be forgiven for being good at skating.

I find it funny seeing the BBC questioning whether Canada is losing its Winter Olympics edge when they have have 27 medals as of now, second only to Norway. BBC should be focusing on why not enough funding is put towards the GB organization.

To be fair to the Dutch, 1. Their winters are colder than ours 2. half the country is under water half the time so they can be forgiven for being good at skating.
Eh, often warmer than the UK in winter. In the last 30 years they have run the elfstedentocht (11 town trip over a 200km distance) on natural ice just once. Elfstedentocht What they do however have is a long track skating centre which can host the world championships and a lot of the larger cities have a considerably cheaper outdoor long track ring which is frozen like an ice rink roundabout November or so. There are probably about 5 to 10 of those scattered around the country.

I'm hoping Norway stay at the top. Even so, you can rely on the EU to pull another propaganda stunt of bragging about how they won the Olympics by the combined efforts of their members. I agree that team GB could do with more resources to compete.

Watching BBC News this morning they had some slot called news watch, they read out some of the criticisms of the coverage and the BBC minion basically said, we don't care we are right you are wrong. BBC doesn't give a toss about the people who pay the TV Tax as long as they get the money

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We're always going to struggle to compete in sports where lots of people take part in their own country. It's one of the reasons that we're ok at bobsleigh and skeleton; there's very little grassroots level competition in either sport so our only real disadvantage is location.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
We're always going to struggle to compete in sports where lots of people take part in their own country. It's one of the reasons that we're ok at bobsleigh and skeleton; there's very little grassroots level competition in either sport so our only real disadvantage is location.
I wouldn't say that we're ok at bobsleigh after looking at the results, where the fully funded men's team place lower than a woman's team that was crowd funded.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't say that we're ok at bobsleigh after looking at the results, where the fully funded men's team place lower than a woman's team that was crowd funded.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I would. The women were fully funded for the majority of the olympic cycle and the men's competition is of a significantly higher standard than the women.

Caught the biathlon relay the other day.
The Huns had a good lead, but blew it on the final leg as the Frog closed in, and the Hun ballsed his final standing shoot - 3 misses.
But during all the drama, local TV decided this was a good idea to flight a Toyota advert! Yay! 4 blokes lined up on the shooting area, and they shrink the picture to less than a quarter of the screen size -so you battled to see the results box - and put the advert next to it for 30 seconds.
Hope you learned something from that:- Don't buy Toyota and tell all your friends.

Scotland :smile: (sorry, Team GB!) just lost the bronze medal match against Japan. Strangely compelling stuff, but I could do without the emoting at the end, led by the high priestess, Clare Balding.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
droopy-moostache The NAAFI Bar 32
Goatman Sports, Adventure Training and Events 63
re-stilly The NAAFI Bar 4