Winter Olympics 2018

In Canada on the sat dish we have 5 channels all running the Olympics simultaneously and for some reason, they all decide to broadcast ice dancing last night. even though more appealing events are going on. Only during breaks between competitors do they switch briefly to other events for updates. Equally irritating are the American channels who only show their athletes competing, not the whole competition. The yanks get knocked out of medal contention, the coverage disappears and they move on to something else. If I watch a competition, I want to see it all, I don’t switch away if the GB and Canadian athletes fail to move on.
That's been my complaint about our coverage for years.

Caught the biathlon relay the other day.
The Huns had a good lead, but blew it on the final leg as the Frog closed in, and the Hun ballsed his final standing shoot - 3 misses.
But during all the drama, local TV decided this was a good idea to flight a Toyota advert! Yay! 4 blokes lined up on the shooting area, and they shrink the picture to less than a quarter of the screen size -so you battled to see the results box - and put the advert next to it for 30 seconds.

I give the US coverage credit for that race, they cut to commercials during the skiing but the idiot commentator spent the entire race trying to jokes, all of which were bad and annoying.

The Canadian women’s hockey team lost to the US, the nation is now in a state of mourning, hope there aren’t any mass suicides...

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
curling-beer-1519223446.jpg

This tweet started a trend

Favourite Olympic moment so far: Canadian curler Rachel Homan's husband double-******* his third and fourth beers while watching his wife compete against Japan. It's 9am in Korea. Not all heroes wear capes. #PyeongChang2018 pic.twitter.com/jzrVsu06Vi
— Ben Johnson (@Ben_T_Johnson) February 19, 2018

and the husband replied

You can judge all you want. The stress level is high, I’m not a drunk, I’m just Canadian. #WeBelieve
— Shawn Germain (@GermainShawn) February 19, 2018

View attachment 323269
This tweet started a trend

Favourite Olympic moment so far: Canadian curler Rachel Homan's husband double-******* his third and fourth beers while watching his wife compete against Japan. It's 9am in Korea. Not all heroes wear capes. #PyeongChang2018 pic.twitter.com/jzrVsu06Vi
— Ben Johnson (@Ben_T_Johnson) February 19, 2018

and the husband replied

You can judge all you want. The stress level is high, I’m not a drunk, I’m just Canadian. #WeBelieve
— Shawn Germain (@GermainShawn) February 19, 2018
He needed those beers to watch his wife, who underperformed horribly. She was one of the hot favourites for Gold, but failed to qualify for the knockout stage, and looked a beaten woman against Scotland Great Britain. She's going to have to sneak back into Canada through the back door.

He needed those beers to watch his wife, who underperformed horribly. She was one of the hot favourites for Gold, but failed to qualify for the knockout stage, and looked a beaten woman against Scotland Great Britain. She's going to have to sneak back into Canada through the back door.
He said 'She' and 'back door' in the same sentence

*snigger*

Does anyone else think it a bit, well, creepy/sad about those sports like ice skating etc where they go out and find kids who are children and then hothouse them all through their teenage years?
( applies to summer events like gymnastics as well)
I mean, look I know that for success etc etc but all the same most will fail in the end and the potential for f**king up their heads is immense...
I'd sooner just a normal growing up for them

Does anyone else think it a bit, well, creepy/sad about those sports like ice skating etc where they go out and find kids who are children and then hothouse them all through their teenage years?
I mean, look I know that for success etc etc but all the same most will fail in the end and the potential for f**king up their heads is immense...
As @Saturation said re rugby "welcome to professional sport".
But to do it for what is an amateur and minority sport, which relies purely on grants/lotto funds, is pretty grim.
"Yeah, I gave up on A-levels to concentrate on curling..."

I have not really enjoyed this year's winter Olympics and that is 90% due to the inane reporting by the BBC commentators. Also the coverage seems concentrated on the touchy feely sports. To get to the stuff I enjoy I have had to go on to the red button. Biathlon, hockey, cross country skiing all on the red button. If I want ice dancing with the commentators simpering away or snowboarding with commentators yelling into their mike's in some strange language then the main channel is flooded with it.

As for Clare Balding, when the lassie Elise Christie crashed out with a yellow card, Balding is bleating "It's not fair!". Even when the athlete who actually has taken part in the sport took her through why Christie was yellow carded Balding wouldn't let it go. She was in the wrong but it did not make good TV. Really pissed me off. That has been the standard. Also, every female in the GB Olympic team has been interviewed, spotlighted, and built up - it is almost as though there are no male GB competitors at the games this year. Fecking unbelievable, but it feeds my misogyny I suppose! :pissedoff:
Share similar feelings and agree completely on the commentary. I wanted to see the alpine sports having raced in my younger years. Only a few highlights on the Beeb even in the nighttime slots which I tried recording. Any other time I've switched on the olympics on BBC its been back to effing curling, endless hours of it. The snowboarders are a right bunch of scruffy cnuts who look like they haven't washed for at least a week.

Share similar feelings and agree completely on the commentary. I wanted to see the alpine sports having raced in my younger years. Only a few highlights on the Beeb even in the nighttime slots which I tried recording. Any other time I've switched on the olympics on BBC its been back to effing curling, endless hours of it. The snowboarders are a right bunch of scruffy cnuts who look like they haven't washed for at least a week.
It seems that Big Air is a sporting discipline and not a new phrase to describe a 5-day-compo-only fart.

I'm finding it rather disturbing as a viewer. The current lady friend was a skater and being up on what went on the skating is a good way to help expedite some leg over action. She also thinks I need to get more in touch with my artistic self. To that end I'll watch the event which involve lycra and spandex clad women hoping that the cameraman is switched on enough to get a good crotch shot during the slow motion spins. Its then rather alarming to hear the commentator report that she's only 16 years old which puts a dampener on everything.

Age wise its similar story with the the snow board flying events and ski jumping. In the latter they were chucking kids down the ramp. Compare that with the likes of the cross country or alpine events where muscle mass is required which just isn't there in a 12 year old.

Seems team GB is doomed to obscurity in the winter events. With exception of a couple there just isn't the funding compared to other nations. If the UK had an ice track I'm sure it would benefit the tea try team and the bobsled and encourage more to take part unfortunately they're not cheap to build or maintain.

In the alpine events we actually have good skiers coming through the system but they're going to be hit by lack of funding. That was made evident in the ski cross last night. GB's entrant, who lives in Meribel (IIRR), was our best showing. Commentary war along the lines of "....and she's starting to reel them in", complete tosh, the other competitors were in a different race and we finished last. That's not to say that she was a bad skier just that there's just too much of a difference between our best and the extra experience (and funding) that the others have.

The Canadian women’s hockey team lost to the US, the nation is now in a state of mourning, hope there aren’t any mass suicides...
Men's hockey team just lost to Germany, and now will be competing for the bronze. I love how my rooting for any team but Canada makes me "unCanadian" according to the morons who treat the sport like a religion.

Men's hockey team just lost to Germany, and now will be competing for the bronze. I love how my rooting for any team but Canada makes me "unCanadian" according to the morons who treat the sport like a religion.
I prefer baseball myself, and since I am a Tigers fan and detest the Jays, I will be condemned to the depths of hell for not supporting Canada’s team......

I prefer baseball myself, and since I am a Tigers fan and detest the Jays, I will be condemned to the depths of hell for not supporting Canada’s team......
Baseball's my sport too, but I'm an Expos fan who's condemned to wander the desert for the next 40 years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
droopy-moostache The NAAFI Bar 32
Goatman Sports, Adventure Training and Events 63
re-stilly The NAAFI Bar 4