Winter Olympics 2018

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
They mock her because of her excuses,whining,and crying , not because she gets disqualified or crashes every time she goes for Olympic medals....Lots of other athletes fail to medal and carry on without drawing attention to themselves by acting like a small child whose mum wouldn’t buy sweets. She has the skill, but is perceived as a joke due to her own behaviour.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser etc etc

They mock her because of her excuses,whining,and crying , not because she gets disqualified or crashes every time she goes for Olympic medals....Lots of other athletes fail to medal and carry on without drawing attention to themselves by acting like a small child whose mum wouldn’t buy sweets. She has the skill, but is perceived as a joke due to her own behaviour.
I can understand people being upset when their dream doesn't quite work out but she seems to milking it for all its worth. I'm guessing that the comments from the BBC pundits haven't exactly helped either. Its not like she, Christie, doesn't know that she could be taken out. Doesn't she have a a number of world titles in this event. Its not like she doesn't know what happens and, more importantly, how to avoid it. Olympics can sometimes throw up strange results. In the alpine events its quite common for somebody with a high start number to come from nowhere and give the favourites a thumping. Nobody sits down in the snow and starts gurning.

I can understand people being upset when their dream doesn't quite work out but she seems to milking it for all its worth. I'm guessing that the comments from the BBC pundits haven't exactly helped either. Its not like she, Christie, doesn't know that she could be taken out. Doesn't she have a a number of world titles in this event. Its not like she doesn't know what happens and, more importantly, how to avoid it. Olympics can sometimes throw up strange results. In the alpine events its quite common for somebody with a high start number to come from nowhere and give the favourites a thumping. Nobody sits down in the snow and starts gurning.
The pity is that she is a top tier skater, not some kid who started speed skating two years ago, yet can’t,or won’t carry herself accordingly. It’s not just the BBC that is pointing out her behaviour, it’s all networks worldwide, CBC,NBC,TSN, etc, it’s like she is trying to be a drama queen on purpose. Her ankle is injured so instead of withdrawing, she decides to go ahead and race, she either is trying to purposely draw attention to herself, or, is to stupid to realize it was a shite idea.

The pity is that she is a top tier skater, not some kid who started speed skating two years ago, yet can’t,or won’t carry herself accordingly. It’s not just the BBC that is pointing out her behaviour, it’s all networks worldwide, CBC,NBC,TSN, etc, it’s like she is trying to be a drama queen on purpose. Her ankle is injured so instead of withdrawing, she decides to go ahead and race, she either is trying to purposely draw attention to herself, or, is to stupid to realize it was a shite idea.
She's been training years for this, the Olympics is the biggest stage for her sport... of course she's going to go out there and give it a go. She was clearly in a lot of pain after that race restart yet still got back up and finished second (not sure exactly what she was DQ'd for though?), fair play to her I say.

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Or, she's not a quitter, as one might expect from a triple world champion and she cracked on despite knowing she could exacerbate her injuries.

She's not short of grit, in my opinion.

And yes, I would

Or, she's not a quitter, as one might expect from a triple world champion and she cracked on despite knowing she could exacerbate her injuries.

She's not short of grit, in my opinion.

And yes, I would
I’m sure she would be glad to have you, give her another reason to cry and whine....

It's not gone well for Christie.

Very nasty comments about Elise across the various newspaper websites, especially the Guardian.

Easy to mock the failures of someone who's put themselves out there and worked bloody hard at something for 4 years, winning 3 world championships along the way only to fail at the end, from the comfort of your keyboard, one supposes
I agree with that. I recall reading somewhere that to be an elite athlete, you need the skills and natural ability, you need grit and determination, but you also need mental strength.
She’s clearly lacking in the latter (the outbursts on Social Media are a good indicator of that).
I hope she comes back stronger, but like some on here, a bit of time away from the keyboard wouldn’t do her any harm!
Edited to add, the last comment isn’t aimed at you by the way. :smile:

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching the biathlon today.

Mixed (gender) 4 x 7.5 km relay saw ze Germans go from a 7 second lead on the last leg to a nightmare final shoot and then overhauled by the Frog, Norgie and Italian.

To see top athletes hooped at the finish line is quite something.

...Nobody sits down in the snow and starts gurning.
To be fair, the distance/marathon type events do have most of them falling over dramatically once they cross the line, grimacing and honking for the cameras. It's all a bit embarrassing.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have not really enjoyed this year's winter Olympics and that is 90% due to the inane reporting by the BBC commentators. Also the coverage seems concentrated on the touchy feely sports. To get to the stuff I enjoy I have had to go on to the red button. Biathlon, hockey, cross country skiing all on the red button. If I want ice dancing with the commentators simpering away or snowboarding with commentators yelling into their mike's in some strange language then the main channel is flooded with it.

As for Clare Balding, when the lassie Elise Christie crashed out with a yellow card, Balding is bleating "It's not fair!". Even when the athlete who actually has taken part in the sport took her through why Christie was yellow carded Balding wouldn't let it go. She was in the wrong but it did not make good TV. Really pissed me off. That has been the standard. Also, every female in the GB Olympic team has been interviewed, spotlighted, and built up - it is almost as though there are no male GB competitors at the games this year. Fecking unbelievable, but it feeds my misogyny I suppose! :pissedoff:

I enjoyed watching the biathlon today...

To see top athletes hooped at the finish line is quite something.
I saw the Slovenian team practicing when I was over there last autumn. There was no snow so they were on skis with wheels and did an uphill route out of Bohinjska Bistrica. It looked brutal.

I have not really enjoyed this year's winter Olympics and that is 90% due to the inane reporting by the BBC commentators. Also the coverage seems concentrated on the touchy feely sports. To get to the stuff I enjoy I have had to go on to the red button. Biathlon, hockey, cross country skiing all on the red button. If I want ice dancing with the commentators simpering away or snowboarding with commentators yelling into their mike's in some strange language then the main channel is flooded with it.

As for Clare Balding, when the lassie Elise Christie crashed out with a yellow card, Balding is bleating "It's not fair!". Even when the athlete who actually has taken part in the sport took her through why Christie was yellow carded Balding wouldn't let it go. She was in the wrong but it did not make good TV. Really pissed me off. That has been the standard. Also, every female in the GB Olympic team has been interviewed, spotlighted, and built up - it is almost as though there are no male GB competitors at the games this year. Fecking unbelievable, but it feeds my misogyny I suppose! :pissedoff:
Did you not get the memo that 2018 is the year to celebrate women?

100 years since women got the right to vote, so expect the BBC to be all over it.

In Canada on the sat dish we have 5 channels all running the Olympics simultaneously and for some reason, they all decide to broadcast ice dancing last night. even though more appealing events are going on. Only during breaks between competitors do they switch briefly to other events for updates. Equally irritating are the American channels who only show their athletes competing, not the whole competition. The yanks get knocked out of medal contention, the coverage disappears and they move on to something else. If I watch a competition, I want to see it all, I don’t switch away if the GB and Canadian athletes fail to move on.

I saw an advert on tele last night...Apparently 'Muller Yoghurt' is the official yoghurt of british olympics (or something like that).

I did laugh because it occurred to me that the term to be well and truly 'Mullered' is probably appropriate. :)

I've enjoyed the bobsleigh - especially the women with very nice arrses in skin-tight clothing. I have noted that the start-line cameraman has had a particular interest in the Russian rear-ends. (Good drills that man).

Bizarrely the IOC officially call them Two-Man Women. Not the sort of threesome I would want.

two-man women - Olympic Bobsleigh

Well done to the Team GB girls for coming eighth with their crowd-funded effort.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
droopy-moostache The NAAFI Bar 32
Goatman Sports, Adventure Training and Events 63
re-stilly The NAAFI Bar 4