Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Fuel Payment (WFP)

I saw in a separate thread, which I cannot find now, that ex service personnel had, incorrectly, not been paid WFP and I was one of them. In previous years SWIMBO and I had each received our £100 but this year she was paid £200 and I nothing. I phoned the number given, 0800 731 0160, and got an "oops sorry we will send you £100 on 19 Jan". So that puts matters partly correct but I wonder how long the DWP will take to reclaim the excess £100 from SWIMBO?

Are there many others of the more senior Arrseati in the same position?

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thought this was for old people.

Looks like I'll be eligible next winter.

Búgger. Hurrah!

anglo

LE
I was under the impression that there was only one payment per household. I got mine in December.
A couple get £100 each, person on their own gets £200
One payment of £200 per household
£300 if one person over 80,
I don't know if gran a grandad are staying with a couple

I saw in a separate thread, which I cannot find now, that ex service personnel had, incorrectly, not been paid WFP and I was one of them. In previous years SWIMBO and I had each received our £100 but this year she was paid £200 and I nothing. I phoned the number giver, 0800 731 0160, and got an "oops sorry we will send you £100 on 19 Jan". So that puts matters partly correct but I wonder how long the DWP will take to reclaim the excess £100 from SWIMBO?

They paid me twice one year. 2 x £200 and one of them was for a totally different NI number.
I phoned them and they told me to keep it as they didn't have a system for reclaiming it.

I received my first Winter Fuel Allowance payment last week- £200. Whilst it is very nice to get something back from the Government, it feels I am very much now inside Gods Waiting Room, despite still feeling 21 in my head!

oldbaldy

LE
I saw in a separate thread, which I cannot find now, that ex service personnel had, incorrectly, not been paid WFP and I was one of them. In previous years SWIMBO and I had each received our £100 but this year she was paid £200 and I nothing. I phoned the number giver, 0800 731 0160, and got an "oops sorry we will send you £100 on 19 Jan". So that puts matters partly correct but I wonder how long the DWP will take to reclaim the excess £100 from SWIMBO?

Yes, I've been there, currently waiting for Mrs Baldy to receive a letter asking for her to refund £100. I rang them just before Christmas & it was pay on 31 Dec. To further confuse though it was paid into the bank where my War Pension goes & not where my mil pension & state pension goes, I haven't bothered ringing to find out why the change from previous year's payment.

Yes, I've been there, currently waiting for Mrs Baldy to receive a letter asking for her to refund £100. I rang them just before Christmas & it was pay on 31 Dec. To further confuse though it was paid into the bank where my War Pension goes & not where my mil pension & state pension goes, I haven't bothered ringing to find out why the change from previous year's payment.
Interesting, do let us know if you get that letter, but don't prompt them!

Maybe all those who have suffered this underpayment should write to their MP to get them to ask the DWP why this has happened?

I'm off to "They work for you".

oldbaldy

LE
Interesting, do let us know if you get that letter, but don't prompt them!

Maybe all those who have suffered this underpayment should write to their MP to get them to ask the DWP why this has happened?

I'm off to "They work for you".
I have no intention of prompting them, but the lady I spoke to did say it's likely Mrs Baldy's file will still say she's living alone when the time comes for the 2021 payment. She also told me it had happened to a number of people, I wonder if it's connected to war pensions? So it will be interesting to see what happens.

I have no intention of prompting them, but the lady I spoke to did say it's likely Mrs Baldy's file will still say she's living alone when the time comes for the 2021 payment. She also told me it had happened to a number of people, I wonder if it's connected to war pensions? So it will be interesting to see what happens.
I think that their computer system said that ex service personnel were out of the country and therefore ineligible, any way I have just written to my MP, SNP (hawk spit), to ask him to approach the DWP to ask the question.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I received my first Winter Fuel Allowance payment last week- £200. Whilst it is very nice to get something back from the Government, it feels I am very much now inside Gods Waiting Room, despite still feeling 21 in my head!
Boot size, out of interest :)

anglo

LE
feeling 21 in my head!

That's the bit that matters, I'm 78 but inside my head I'm also 21,
just keep as fit as you can and don't give a F*CK for anyone or anything

I saw in a separate thread, which I cannot find now, that ex service personnel had, incorrectly, not been paid WFP and I was one of them. In previous years SWIMBO and I had each received our £100 but this year she was paid £200 and I nothing. I phoned the number given, 0800 731 0160, and got an "oops sorry we will send you £100 on 19 Jan". So that puts matters partly correct but I wonder how long the DWP will take to reclaim the excess £100 from SWIMBO?

Let us know if you get the £100.00

and don't give a F*CK for anyone
Apart from family, obvs. A good outlook on life though mate and one I am fully signed up to.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've just seen this confirmed on the RAPC Facebook group. Glitch in new computer system. Surprise.

Call 0800 731 0160.

Yes paid today

I wonder if they will ask SWIMBO for a refund.
Maybe they won't If it's it due to your ages and other circumstances. Some households are entitled to £300.00 for various reasons.
From the Gov site.

How much you'll get​

How much you get depends on your circumstances during the qualifying week. The qualifying week for winter 2020 to 2021 is 21 to 27 September 2020.
Any money you get is tax-free and will not affect your other benefits.
Born between 28 September 1940 and 5 October 1954Born on or before 27 September 1940
You qualify and live alone (or none of the people you live with qualify)£200£300
You qualify and live with someone under 80 who also qualifies£100£200
You qualify and live with someone 80 or over who also qualifies£100£150
You qualify, live in a care home and do not get certain benefits£100£150

Thank you @AlienFTM this important information that should be highlighted to all ex service personnel who would normally qualify and who should now check whether they have been paid their WFP.
Plus perhaps a kind mod or the COs could pass the information to Rum ration and Pprune?

Latest Threads