Winter driving.

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Cutaway, Mar 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Do you tread heads normally use the company motor for car park burnouts or have these Swedes neglected to use a designated driver on the moonshine run ?

2. Believe it or not Cuts, but that is perfectly normal for a 60 ton armoured vehicle on snow!!!

We used to try to get the back end of 43s out too, knocking hte Boshe snow markers over. The delightful thud as you hit a metal one.

Those were the days.

3. Or the many cases of the 43Sledge, in Bosnias cold winter embrace.

4. I used to love doing that on icy roads in my Chieftain, sideways down the road,ha ha. Bit of stick and you could get back going straight no prob. Fecking 438´s on FTX on icy, slippy roads were the dogs bollox´s to keep straight.

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

While working with some of the 'furrin toops' on IFOR we patrolled with their snow-cleated 113's.
    I'm happily stood in the rear hatch when I ducked down to give the lads a heads-op: "Brace, brace, brace !"
    We'd slid down this Bosnian road sideways for a good 200+ metres towards a so-far unscathed cottage - when we'd stopped I could touch the bldg from the hatch.

A good laugh but I still prefer LPCs.

6. we used to stud the tracks for Norway, then drive to the docks, so by the time we had landed in Norway no friggin studs, ive driven forwards backwards and in a complete circle all at once :)

7. nothing better than the range roads in your 60 tons of scarp metal.doing Broddie's what happy days :headbang:

8. Typical Cav, sounds like 16/5L or 9/12L.

9. Skid pan TRG on the Tank Park, Chieftain, 432's and Ferret.
    When you could have fun back in the 70's and 80's.

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

11. Heh. The first time AMF(L) Troop 3RTR went to Norway from Tidworth it snowed the morning we left for Marchwood. We'd been given a route to use, down the 303 to the A34. It was littered with cars & lorries in ditches and people looking really hopeful, holding up cash & towropes as we passed the more interesting chicanes of accident/stalled traffic. Studs are cool. Unfortunately we didn't have time to cash in as we had to get to the LSL.

And wait.

And wait

Then sail for Norway that evening. :frustrated:

12. Yeah why the hell we had to get to the docks at least 12 hours before. I never understood.

Man_of_Al_Ton
    Umm and your point is.............

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You'll have been in a reverie last night if you'd been listening to the Radio 5 traffic report about 1930 ysterday then.

South of England had an attack of the monster hailstones about tea-time (about 1715 in Southampton). At the 1930 traffic report, they told us that several miles of the A34 around Chieveley (junction with the M4 in Berkshire) were closed while they gritted where the hail had melted and refrozen to create miles of ice.

Mind if you haven't been there recently, you won't recognise it since they dug a tunnel for the A34 under the motorway. And they bypassed Newbury just south a few years ago. God, Newbury used to be horrible.

(Two edits for bone typos.)

14. I went through(past really) on the bike recently(1), a vast improvement.

(1) About (cough) mins for the 8.5 miles motorway to Burghclere exit. :blush:
    The road was clear, so it seemed rude not to. :)

15. They need to paint the tank orange, and put a Confederate Battle Flag on the roof.

NTM