Winter Car Kit

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Boozy, Oct 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Winter is predicted to be a harsh one again this year.

If it snows so badly again then this year will be the first time I've owned a car in such conditions.

I want to make sure I'm prepared as I can be for it because I have quite a commute to work on one of the county's most dangerous roads.

What essential bits and bobs should I be keeping in my car in case of snow related emergency?

Snow shovel? Wheel Chains? Flashlight? etc?
  2. The AA and RAC have good advice on their websites.
  3. Doss bag, water, hexy telly, scran, roll mat and basha. You will be far more comfortable out of the car than in it. A bottle of something to take away the chill if you aren't moving any time soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. What he said^ .Snow chains are better(and cheaper than winter tyres-cos you hardly ever use 'em). But learn how to put'em on 'cos if the time comes they'll be a pain in the arrse to use.
  5. I've bought some snow chains. They arrived couple of days ago I just need to fit them and make sure it's as easy as it looks on the website.
    I also use a good ice scraper and never de-icer as it freezes. Carry some antifreeze in a squirty bottle but spray it on the top of the windscreen and let it run down. Don't let it on the paint.
  6. You'll also find some snow / ice driving skills useful. Apart from that, keep at least one set of warm clothes in the car, and regularly check things like the widscreen wiper fluid, battery charge level, tyre and brake condition etc. Most of it is pretty basic stuff.
  7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sell the little shitbox which I can only assume you drive and buy a massive 4x4 with all terrain tyres, a mega heater and heated seats. Should see you through the winter fine.
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

A shovel and some bits of wood for under the tyres, plus all the home comforts and safety gear mentioned above.
  9. I don't like massive cars though, I'm insured to drive my parents but I don't because it feels like I'm driving a tank. I like my little shitbox. It's a little shitbox I can actually park haha.
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Most decent large 4x4s have a reversing camera and sensors. Parking is easy.

In all seriousness, unless you are living in the Scottish highlands, I wouldn't worry too much, someone will come and rescue you within a few hours. If you are fit maybe even less.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Oh Christ on a crutch...what would you Brits do in a real winter?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. @ Boozy, a sleeping bag, some chocolate bars, a couple bottles of water, and most importantly a mobile phone. Make sure you have winter tires, or at least all season tires with a good profile, and learn how to drive in the white stuff (something that 99% of Europeans cannot do in my opinion).
  13. Last year conditions on the main route were so bad that cars were completely snowed in nose to tail both weren't going to get rescued unless you started trekking, even if your 4x4 kept going you would have been faced with a total road blockage at some point with abandoned cars.

My brother is the bloke in charge of deploying gritters and keeping the road clear but gritting is futile if it snows so hard again. does one go to learn to drive in snow?
  14. If things are that bad you need a Bedford
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Nah, Tanks are easy......