Wings

COSA only lists one 'Badge Parachutist SAS' and thats illustrated as 22 Wings above

The others are I think Australian Special Air Service Parachute Wings?

Do 22 SAS wear different wings to 21 & 23?
The difference as shown in photo's is that the TA version are more droopy, these are known by "Them and Those" as "Clipped Wings" just as birds that have there wings "Clipped" it prevents flight further than there cage or out of area's........

No, there is no difference in TA/ Reg wings. Just to clear one thing up. they are NOT, HALO wings. Just SF Basic qualifier Para Wings. Something I know Walts think. :lol:

sunjock right now no difference. used to be that TA were droopy and the wings. agree not halo wings just SAS qualified wings.

HAHO PIC 1, HALO PIC 2. I read that somewhere, I wait to be corrected.

cpunk

LE
Skinn_Full said:
HAHO PIC 1, HALO PIC 2. I read that somewhere, I wait to be corrected.
Here goes then. Pic 1 are wings as worn by 21 and 22 SAS, pic 2 is 23 SAS wings. Why the difference? Christ knows.

Bear in mind that nowadays, you generally only see members of the SAS wearing wings on No 2 dress and rarely, if ever, on working dress. Another difference is that 21 SAS rank badges in No 2 dress are in LI pattern of dark green crowns, chevrons etc on maize coloured backing material, whereas 22 SAS wear dark blue on light blue rank insignia in No 2 dress (I have no idea what 23 SAS rank insignia looks like).

So there you go.

Captain_Calamity said:
So then Sunjock, why the two styles?
The bottom set look like Australian Special Air Service Parachute Wings Post-1997, again Not HALO, HAHO. SLS or any other :wink: 21, 22 and 23 all get issued the same from RAF Brize Norton's, PTS.

cpunk

LE
THESUNJOCK said:
Captain_Calamity said:
So then Sunjock, why the two styles?
The bottom set look like Australian Special Air Service Parachute Wings Post-1997, again Not HALO, HAHO. SLS or any other :wink: 21, 22 and 23 all get issued the same from RAF Brize Norton's, PTS.
Nope, the bottom set are 23 SAS wings. I don't know why they're different but they are.

Unless I see proof to the contrary I do not believe that 23 SAS (V) wear anything different to 21 SAS (V) or 22 SAS
- Why would they?

Oh yes they do - Oh no they don't, does nothing to convince me.

Only times I have seen them lately are on Officers Service Dress after they have re-joined their regiments.

Not seen one on a junior or senior rank for years.

And always the same type.

Bottom set look like Omani wings, possibly a few still being worn now by serving members of HMF who've done attachments to Sultan of Oman's Armed Forces.

CP is right.
Droopy wings were for 23 -( late 70's/ early 80's)
21 wore standard pattern
LI colours-
This is to do with the lineage/history, I was told the Artisis Rifles can be traced to the 3rd of foot (1700's)

cpunk

LE
fooboy said:
Oh no he's not: :lol: : Like I said just give the PTS a call and ask them, they have the definitive answer. The guy I had a chat with, was the resident PJI to 23 during the period you just mentioned as well as other SF post during his time. He is not serving now but still works at PTS because of his wealth of experience. Give him a call and ask for the welshman with the red face. Im sure there are those who have recently been on the BPC who will know who Im talking about as he has a thing about para helmets and hooks :wink: Also no Brit SF wings, even back to WW2 ever had more then two periferal lines on the canopy, normaly just one rounded periferal line, both TA included.
Really? I've seen them being worn by members and ex-members of 23 SAS. Maybe they got it wrong. It might also be worth your while checking Bragg and Turner's books on Para Wings.

Well I too have seen them worn but perhaps the wings were issued
at a sqdrn badging parade so,
1. PTS issued the "reqular" wings
2. "Local" wings were awarded at the unit parade.

And on books
James G Shortt
Special Forces Insignia
Page 45
"23 SAS. current issue. Ef/R -embroidered felt, rare"
If Shortt is the person I think he is then he would know his subject