Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Captain_Calamity, Feb 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do 22 SAS wear different wings to 21 & 23?

I have just seen pictures of a set of wings entitled 'SAS TA' wings.

Wondered if it was genuine or walt.

Attached Files:

2. And no.
  3. COSA only lists one 'Badge Parachutist SAS' and thats illustrated as 22 Wings above

The others are I think Australian Special Air Service Parachute Wings?
  4. 23 I believe.
  5. The difference as shown in photo's is that the TA version are more droopy, these are known by "Them and Those" as "Clipped Wings" just as birds that have there wings "Clipped" it prevents flight further than there cage or out of area's........
  6. No, there is no difference in TA/ Reg wings. Just to clear one thing up. they are NOT, HALO wings. Just SF Basic qualifier Para Wings. Something I know Walts think. :lol:
  7. So then Sunjock, why the two styles?
  8. sunjock right now no difference. used to be that TA were droopy and the wings. agree not halo wings just SAS qualified wings.
  9. He's a member of 'Chute & Dagger'. Wow.
  10. HAHO PIC 1, HALO PIC 2. I read that somewhere, I wait to be corrected.
  11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Here goes then. Pic 1 are wings as worn by 21 and 22 SAS, pic 2 is 23 SAS wings. Why the difference? Christ knows.

Bear in mind that nowadays, you generally only see members of the SAS wearing wings on No 2 dress and rarely, if ever, on working dress. Another difference is that 21 SAS rank badges in No 2 dress are in LI pattern of dark green crowns, chevrons etc on maize coloured backing material, whereas 22 SAS wear dark blue on light blue rank insignia in No 2 dress (I have no idea what 23 SAS rank insignia looks like).

So there you go.
  12. The bottom set look like Australian Special Air Service Parachute Wings Post-1997, again Not HALO, HAHO. SLS or any other :wink: 21, 22 and 23 all get issued the same from RAF Brize Norton's, PTS.
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Nope, the bottom set are 23 SAS wings. I don't know why they're different but they are.