Wing Commander Gibson

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I am a little late but it was 70 years ago last night that Wing Commander Gibson took off and never returned. He died when his Mosquito crashed over the Netherlands.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Lost in time. I think these days, the correct term is simply Gibson's Dog.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apparently, he was 'difficult', though he was good to his dog.............damned if I can remember it's name, though.......................

I've seen it on telly. It was called Tigger. Funny how his voice always changed slightly when he called the dog. It must have been a love thing.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Gibson had a certain history in Nottingham as being a ladies man. He was involved with a barmaid at the Black Boy (its the actual name of the pub, although its long gone now)

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gibson had a certain history in Nottingham as being a ladies man. He was involved with a barmaid at the Black Boy (its the actual name of the pub, although its long gone now)

Did his dog come from there?

Dwarf

LE
It was bloody n***er. there said it and don't care.

Good pilot but yes 'difficult' seems to cover it. Ironic that he went in a mossie, one of the safest aircraft there was in the relative safety of wartime, after the exploits of 617..

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Not really. He and his Nav died when his Mosquito crashed into the Netherlands, probably as a result of mis-handled fuel management, given the unfamiliarity with the cockpit layout.

Or they were shot down by a Lancaster rear-gunner dog-lover...

Into/over, its semantics. Gibson didnt do that well over the Netherlands that night, as all that could be found of him was a sock and a hand. I am very well aware of the thread divergence into the NAAFi that this may cause, but it is a fact.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently, he was 'difficult', though he was good to his dog.............damned if I can remember it's name, though.......................

I've got this autographed photo of him. On the back, it says "With best wishes from Ni .... err Gibson's dog"

stock_photo_dog_road_kill_30452347_xlarge.jpeg

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
22 minutes from the respectful post for Gibson to the awful. Not an arrse record i suppose.

It was .my understanding that the mosquito was a much safer aircraft to serve in than any of the four engined bombers.
If you can, go and have a look through Chorley's volumes on the wartime losses. Sobering reading. The graveyards adjacent to Mosquito OTU are full of young men who struggled with asymmetric handling.

Last edited:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
By the age of 24 he had flown 170 ops, reached the rank of Wing Commander and won the VC, DSO and DFC. And he had time to be "difficult" too. In this day and age he'd be on Ritalin and working in a phone shop.

Last edited:

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Sad that someone is almost more famous because his dog had a 'politically'/legally' insensitive name
Indeed FMed. Thats political correctness for you.