Wing Chun- any good?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by ooooh_matron, Feb 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having got sick to the back teeth of shoulder and wrist injuries caused in part by years of practising martial arts that rely on joint manipulation and throws I'm wondering if Wing Chun would be an alternative.

Anyone out there enjoy Wing Chun as a way of keeping fit and are the drills likely to minimise joint strains? I like the idea of the straight punches having had difficulties with Systema punching hurting my shoulders like a good-un.

Not giving a toss how it is alleged to work on the street because I go for the headbutt and choke 9 times out of 10 anyway- just if people use it as a way to supplement fitness :)

2. Always worked for me.

• Like Like x 4
  3. That looks nails- it takes some skill to wear a woolly jumper with that nonchalant aplomb!

4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Beat me to it.

:-D

5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

I was just about to say that being white, middle class and protestant my dancing skills are somewhat limited.
    I understand these 80s bands have some appeal-, yet its hard to beat the rolling stones and pints of Guinness

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

wing chun or tai chi are good for us decrepids as its going with the flow like aikido. keeps you subtle with an aim on remaining calm during conflict instead of the japanese aggressive fight modes.

wing chun is focused more on the fighting, if you are feeling your age then look around for a decent tai chi instructor. with tai chi and kymen yoga techniques.

years ago we went along to classes run by a postman and he let us practise balance and defense in bergan and webbing which was fun.

7. Thanks Gg. I'm not quite at the dicrepid stage just yet, but from what you say Wing Chun might warrant further enquiry and offer enough fighty stuff to keep me engaged!

Cheers.

8. As always, it depends largely on the instructors. Some emphasize the fighting aspects of Wing Chun, up to and including full contact sparring. Other will place more importance on the forms(kata)and training techniques such as "Sticky Hands". And while we're on the subject, if your shoulders hurt from practicing Systema, you will find Sticky Hands drills no fun at all.

Google your local area for clubs. Visit them and watch a class - if the Sifu won't let you watch, then my advice would be to not even consider joining. Good instructors have nothing to hide.

Good luck.

9. Grumblegrunt

if you've done sytema where you actually get taught rather than the 'watch me beat you up to show how great I am' type of instructor then you can pass that on when offering up as an opponent.

I took tae kwon do and aikido/judo with me and it was quite usefull having a background to compare.

tai chi meditations are common to all chinese arts and are enough to keep you occupied for a while. classes are cheap to set up for as you need loose pants/traccy bottoms a yellow and a purple tee shirt. purple for meditation yellow for fighting.

• Like Like x 2
  10. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Years ago, dame had me doing tai chi. Her elderly parents were in very polite giggles at how shite I was/am. I would suggest if you can still stand, do it.
    We were out the other night and someone mentioned tai chi. I mentioned I would need a pole these days and one of the girls started laughing and said. Ed Muir, YouTube.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. Will do- I like yellow robes and beads too, so it's a win all round!

12. Grumblegrunt

sticky hands is an exercise in balance and can get quite aggressive as it progresses from almost ballet to semi contact as the aim is to catch/deflect the opponent and tip him over.

13. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Grumblegrunt, couldn't agree more. I have an ex-copper as a tomiki aikido instructor who ticks all the 'you wouldn't pick him out of a crowd of two' boxes, carries no airs and graces but is hard - and clever - as hell. More interested in teaching what (really) works rather than impressing with his own greatness and manages to run a relatively informal dojo.

As he puts it, 'How I run this place will allow you to walk into any dojo and not be accused of being discourteous.'

There're a lot of tin gods who could learn from him.

14. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

15. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Out of intense boredom, brought on by a lengthy stint at HMS Nelson, I went to a free introductory Wing Chun lesson in Southsea. I was accompanying a mate who was into the idea of becoming a white, gashly tatted, matelot version of Bruce Lee.

On the days running up to the lesson, my oppo tried to boost my enthusiasm, showing me clips of hardcore ninja types on youtube. If I'm honest, I became quite excited by the idea of getting a bit fitter and being able to bray the **** out of people with minimal effort.

Anyway we turned up and were greeted by the instructors, two of the fattest ***** I think I've ever seen, honestly I thought it was some sort of joke. I half expected that **** Noel Edmonds (his name must always be prefixed with 'that ****') to jump out with a hidden camera or something.

After a sparring demo, both of them were fucked, clutching knees and panting. They both looked like they were about to die, considering my primary objective here was to get a bit fitter, I decided there and then then that perhaps Wing Chun wasn't the way to go about it. The other participants weren't exactly specimens of perfection either, a mix of bullied teens and overweight single blokes in their 40s.

So in conclusion, if you ever envisage having to defend yourself against a load of fat Warhammer enthusiasts, get yourself down to Southsea dojo, they'll teach you everything you need to know.

Edited to add: There was one other bloke who turned up for the free lesson who was built like Arnie circa 1980, clearly a boxer or MMA fighter looking to expand his repertoire.

He spent the entire evening transfixed, with a 'seriously what the actual **** is this?' Look imprinted on his grid. It was worth going just to see that.

• Like Like x 4