Wine Review

When you are a 15 stone veteran rugby player and ex-serviceman, preferring wine to beer is a bit like making love to a schoolboy: it brings immense pleasure but you wouldn't want your mates to find out. With that in mind, I thought I'd post a review of a wine that I recently tried for the first time.

Available from Morrisons at a very reasonable £6.99 a bottle, Grüner Veltliner is a punchy little white from up-and-coming Austria. The name translates roughly as 'Green Belt-Liner'. Of course, a decent wine should reflect not just the best of its parent grape but also invoke images of its country of origin and this one is sure to bring to mind edelweiss, frosty mountain tops, Mozart, baroque architecture, casual anti-semitism and dribbling Hapsburg dilettantes.

It has a fresh, crisp aroma and tastes of peach and cardamom, with just a hint of pepper; undoubtedly citrus but dexterously balanced. Be warned though: it's deceptively strong. I was half-cut after little more than two bottles so I wouldn't recommend more than one for those who are less middle-class than me. Builders, for example, or tankies.

All in all, a highly commendable wine at the price. The only way I could see it being any better would be if it was filtered through Tom Daley's socks or, at the very least, dribbled across his pecs. Goes well with salade de tomate, chicken and polka.

7 on 10.

Last edited:

sand_rat

Old-Salt
"Be warned though: it's deceptively strong. I was half-cut after little more than two bottles"

Now that I like, its on a par with the caution on a box of wine 'once opened consume within six weeks', who the hell still has any wine left in the box after six days (would like to say hours but Ive tried and failed miserably), AND have you seen those insidiously evil boxes that have only three bottles worth in them, what pervert thought them up?

2 bottles why not us a bucket pal much faster I pay £3 at asda for a great spanish red enough for poor old men to spend.

Last edited:
Stand by for Lidl's early Autumn offensive, when they launch prize-winning wines at supermarket prices, in a bid to compete in a slice of the marketplace Aldi have had to themselves in snobby UK for the last few years.

Nearly seven quid for Austrian plonk?

You must be outta yer mind - as you clearly were, consequent upon quaffing two bottles of the stuff in a single sitting*, just before sitting (falling?) down to post the review.
=====
*Stonkernote: On this particular point, let me congratulate you :-D

ACAB

LE
Only two things I check when buying wine:

ABV - Check

Price - Check

Grüner Veltliner is a punchy little white from up-and-coming Austria.

Only 'up and coming', from a region with a 2000-year old wine-making tradition, because of the 1980s 'anti-freeze' scandal!

Last edited:
Thread revival.

I opened a random bottle which has been hanging around for a while yesterday, and despite my buds being mangled by far too much whisky and Madrassi beef, was immensely surprised by its' vivacity.
james-thurber-on-Burgundy.gif

It's a rioja, Faustino I of 2004. Absolutely delicious, and stuffed to the cork with fruity, plummy, blackberry taste; you'd best compare it to undilute Ribena. I've no idea when I bought it, or what I paid, but it certainly wasn't the price which similar products are sold for on Google's lists, which are about the £21 mark - I've never paid anything like that for Red. Cava and champagne, yes, but this isn't fizzy.

Question: without breaking a, say, £10 barrier, does anyone seriously knowledgeable in the subject know of anything comparable? I feel a large Internet Purchase coming on.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
You stumbled across a stunner there. One day, when I was serving in HQ ARRC, à Spanish colleague slipped into my office and told me to drop everything and get down to the NAFFI. In his words “The idiots don’t know what they have got”. They were selling Faustino I, alongside Faustino III (IIRC, it might have been IV) and had marked both at the same price - something like Eu 5.50 a bottle. Although I am not the greatest fan of Spanish reds, I was happy to take his advice. It was superb and was on sale, elsewhere for Eu 20 or so.

ETA. My current go-to red is a Saumur-Champigny. Warm, light and doesn’t make my wallet cry.

Last edited:

mad_collie

War Hero
A mate introduced me to the Vivino App.

Quite handy to have on your mobile phone while at the supermarket. Picked up some bargains while on a trip to Calais (what seems like a fecking lifetime ago).

Quite handy to have on your mobile phone while at the supermarket. Picked up some bargains while on a trip to Calais (what seems like a fecking lifetime ago).
Looks like a good idea. I don't use the filthy things, though (bad experience with a bleeper, which woke me up many years ago).

Agree with Vivino: better get to Calais in the next 24 hrs though, as things change on 1 Jan.

WRT @Whiskybreath's question, it the premium you pay to cellar wine to a decent age, rather than drinking it far too young.

Latest Threads