• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Wine prices set to rocket!

#5
Is there no end to the list of organisations/people trying to screw our last few pennies out of us?
At least until now we could get drunk and leave the planet for a few hours.
Can we blame this on muslims?
 

Alsacien

MIA
Moderator
#6
What a load of cr@p!

As usual its rip-off time in the UK.

I can never understand how wine that is comparatively expensive to produce in OZ or the US, plus shipping charges, can undercut European wine.
Over production in France is a big problem as farming gets more efficient. Every year thousands of litres are not bottles and are simply distilled to alcohol for other uses - and some of this is really good stuff!!!

Get in a van, drive to France (not the north where the brits usually go), find a vineyard in Bordeaux or the Rhone or anywhere and fill up with 3 quid/5 euro wine that is considered to be medium price range in UK (= 7-8 quid bottles).
If you want whites head for the Vosges/Alsace - I can give you some pointers ;-)
 
#8
Murphy_Slaw said:
Drink Cider.



Quantity not quality!
That looks to me a RE urine sample to me.
Cartons are the way ahead the snobs can pay through the nose for a CORK. What is more you can open them without the use of a corkscrew although I have done that with a bit of string in the past, needs must what? :wink:
 
#9
BUDGIE-MIA said:
That looks to me a RE urine sample to me.
Cartons are the way ahead the snobs can pay through the nose for a CORK. What is more you can open them without the use of a corkscrew although I have done that with a bit of string in the past, needs must what? :wink:
I find that some "screw tops" are quite decent :wink:
 
#10
TheBigUn said:
BUDGIE-MIA said:
That looks to me a RE urine sample to me.
Cartons are the way ahead the snobs can pay through the nose for a CORK. What is more you can open them without the use of a corkscrew although I have done that with a bit of string in the past, needs must what? :wink:
I find that some "screw tops" are quite decent :wink:
Quite! who needs cork, that is so ungreen, all those cork trees being chopped down to bung in the end of a bottle that can not be opened with a special tool????? The screw tops and cartons have it!!!! :salut:
 
#12
happybonzo said:
BUDGIE-MIA said:
TheBigUn said:
BUDGIE-MIA said:
Quite! who needs cork, that is so ungreen, all those cork trees being chopped down :salut:
"Cork" is stripped off the oak trees that produce it and no harm is done to the trees in producing it. Some info on Cork from WiKi
Sorry Happy, Qualify only for what comes out of the bottle not what makes it, but it was interesting and point taken for the next Pub Quiz. :wink: :wink:
 
#13
Alsacien said:
Get in a van, drive to France (not the north where the brits usually go), find a vineyard in Bordeaux or the Rhone or anywhere and fill up with 3 quid/5 euro wine that is considered to be medium price range in UK (= 7-8 quid bottles).
If you want whites head for the Vosges/Alsace - I can give you some pointers ;-)
Sir, while I always appreciate a man with a palate, I must disagree with you on one small point.

Personally, I think Bordeaux soil is used up. French soil in general, actually. I tend to find the product over-tended, over-bred, and flat as a pancake. Even their "good" stuff is safely meh.

I do like Rhone wines because they're much more raw and chewy, but even that doesn't really pack the punch I like. There are a few small wineries in Mendocino, CA with cabs that will knock your socks off...but unfortunately we'll never see them here. The evil scientists Gallo have leveraged their mass production power, and now I know people that think Blossom Hill is good wine. So I'll go with Rhone, or settle for Spanish plonk.

So...what about English wineries?








:D
 
#14
TankiesYank said:
Alsacien said:
Get in a van, drive to France (not the north where the brits usually go), find a vineyard in Bordeaux or the Rhone or anywhere and fill up with 3 quid/5 euro wine that is considered to be medium price range in UK (= 7-8 quid bottles).
If you want whites head for the Vosges/Alsace - I can give you some pointers ;-)
Sir, while I always appreciate a man with a palate, I must disagree with you on one small point.

Personally, I think Bordeaux soil is used up. French soil in general, actually. I tend to find the product over-tended, over-bred, and flat as a pancake. Even their "good" stuff is safely meh.

I do like Rhone wines because they're much more raw and chewy, but even that doesn't really pack the punch I like. There are a few small wineries in Mendocino, CA with cabs that will knock your socks off...but unfortunately we'll never see them here. The evil scientists Gallo have leveraged their mass production power, and now I know people that think Blossom Hill is good wine. So I'll go with Rhone, or settle for Spanish plonk.

So...what about English wineries?






:D
Ha ha ha ha............grapes in england are eaten with cheese or given to people who are ill in hospital. Any english wines would no doubt come in at well over £10 a bottle anyway. We want cheap good quality wine :D
 

Alsacien

MIA
Moderator
#17
TankiesYank said:
Alsacien said:
Get in a van, drive to France (not the north where the brits usually go), find a vineyard in Bordeaux or the Rhone or anywhere and fill up with 3 quid/5 euro wine that is considered to be medium price range in UK (= 7-8 quid bottles).
If you want whites head for the Vosges/Alsace - I can give you some pointers ;-)
Sir, while I always appreciate a man with a palate, I must disagree with you on one small point.

Personally, I think Bordeaux soil is used up. French soil in general, actually. I tend to find the product over-tended, over-bred, and flat as a pancake. Even their "good" stuff is safely meh.

I do like Rhone wines because they're much more raw and chewy, but even that doesn't really pack the punch I like. There are a few small wineries in Mendocino, CA with cabs that will knock your socks off...but unfortunately we'll never see them here. The evil scientists Gallo have leveraged their mass production power, and now I know people that think Blossom Hill is good wine. So I'll go with Rhone, or settle for Spanish plonk.

So...what about English wineries?








:D
I would love to give my froggie neighbours a bottle of decent English wine for a reasonable price - but they take the p1ss out of the only Anglais in Vosges enough already.

Bordeaux is far and away the most common wine in the supermarkets and is well known to Brits - my preference is for Piemonte reds nebbiolo, langhe and of course barolo.... ;-)
 
#18
Social_Handgrenade said:
Cork? Screw top?

Nowt wrong with wine in a box. Linky
Agreed - last time I was in Frogland I bought a 5-ltr box of Cab Sov for 8 euros and loved every drop of it. Mind you, I'm easy to please - as a glance at my current flame will confirm.
 
#20
Being in the middle of Europe, SAfrica and SAmerica and Oz, we get a nice variety of vintages from all. We also get a fair share of CA vintages. We tend to have a price range to suit all pockets from buck five come alive to the mortgaging the first born.

The only redeeming feature of this last posting, is that the local area has a number of vineyards and wineries. Which surprised me, as I was rather despondent at the posting, as the area didn't appear to be much more than a tired, old, blue collar, closed the last mill, type of town.

We've spend a few Saturdays, doing the tours and winetasting and surprisingly, some of them are making a decent bottle of vino collapso at priced quite reasonable. (about 7-9 bucks a bottle) We have other wineries that are starting to produce a decent vintage as well from out on the east coast. The Niagra region, sadly got pinged with the reputation of making buck five come alive and communion wines, folks tend to shy away from them for that reason.

I started making my own wine ages ago. I actually make a vintage for every deployment/tour. Lots of work, but it's fun and I do get a reasonable amount of wine to have on hand (that's actually not lighter fluid).

There's a trend here as well for folks to make their own wine but have a shop take care of the frementation processes, and bottling and storage. Works out to about 2 bucks a bottle. Lots of those types of shops are springing up.

My absolute fav wine, Penfold's Grange.
 

Latest Threads