Windsor Davies - RIP

As we know,Jimmy Perry was in the Home Guard and a Royal Artillery concert party,so he wrote with some subject knowledge.
..and that is probably why the military is so badly portrayed in the media these days - the writers have no knowledge of their subject.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
..and that is probably why the military is so badly protrayed in the media these days - they writer's have no knowledge of their subject.
Bluestone 42 made me laugh - how accurate is that would people say?

My dad joined the HLI in 1939 and he reckoned that Windsor Davies's portrayal was only a gnats away from a lot of the pre war RSMs. In the same way that my CSM ATS mum reckoned that Dad's Army was 90% documentary.

Slight thread drift, My uncle was a Station Warrant Officer ( RAF equivalent of an RSM) in the RAF when he was based at Warton on the Fylde, which happened to be a transit camp.
I was living in Newport at the time & occasionally went into the docks to take food to my grandad who worked on the docks. Now one of the Dock police was a real pain and often chased us lads away (I was about 12 at the time). One day My uncle was visiting us and I came back from the docks almost in tears after this sod had chased us. My uncle decided to go with me to see what the problem was, I was a little bit ahead as we got to the dock entrance and this copper started shouting at me. I had never heard my uncle raise his voice but his incredible stentorian "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING MAN" turned this bullying copper into a quivering wreck. Apparently he recognised my uncle from his time at Warton, I never had trouble with the dock police again, in fact he would go out of his way to be friendly.
It was the only time I heard my uncle raise his voice but obviously he used it in his post as SWO.

I loved the programme and the Windsor Davies character in particular. However, what has always intrigued me, is how come a smart, shouty Regimental sort such as the BSM he portrayed, ended up in such a backwater post? Had he been moved sideways for inappropriate behaviour perhaps?
Yes, yes, I know it was only a TV programme! :smile:
Perhaps he was caught in Gnr Parkin mum’s married quarter, dipping ya wick always ended up with a sh*t posting back in the day!

I loved the programme and the Windsor Davies character in particular. However, what has always intrigued me, is how come a smart, shouty Regimental sort such as the BSM he portrayed, ended up in such a backwater post? Had he been moved sideways for inappropriate behaviour perhaps?
In the first episode,he said to Mr La Di Da Gunner Graham that he had done two years in Burma.In a later episode he said that he had already done twenty years service.This would probably put him in his early forties.The maximum age for conscription was forty one.So,even as an experienced regular soldier,he was probably considered too old for front line service.
Different story now,I was thirty nine when I was in Iraq and I know of at least one TA officer who was fifty.

There was one episode where he was hauled up for having an affair with a Brigadier's wife. Even today, that would be severely career limiting.

There was one episode where he was hauled up for having an affair with a Brigadier's wife. Even today, that would be severely career limiting.
Something every aspiring WO should have on his CV - aim high! :-D

Probably Australia where they seem less worried about PC. I was amazed to find they were showing Love Thy Neighbour regularly when I went out there to visit my Sister, it was a few years back now but still. They also market a cheese with the brand Coon. I kid you not
You still get it, and never a word of complaint is heard

ugly

LE
0A has a teddy bear that Windsor gave her as a small child. He lived next door to 0A's grandparents in Wallington, no doubt getting Gunner tips from his neighbour.

You still get it, and never a word of complaint is heard
I heard comments at the time and there's a number of articles about it being racist if you google such as https://www.smh.com.au/national/coon-cheese-next-on-antiracism-hitlist-20080926-4ojr.html

However it's named after it's creator, Edward Coon who invented a new process for cheese making called 'Cooning'. It's not his fault that the word has come to mean other things since then!

Anyway this is getting OT.

Regarding age related active service. My dad enlisted as a Regular in 1923 at the age of 17. He was recalled as a reservist on the eve of WW2 aged 33 and demobbed in '45 aged 39. His active service comprised Inf France 1939/40 and Inf India/Burma theatre 42/45. Even then, arguably he was a bit old for infantry (but I wouldn't dare to have let him hear me say that lol!).

Everyone's favourite bsm/ csm / ssm
If there is such a thing, eh Chodmeister, what you say ?
I met Mr Davies when he came over on a variety tour to Cyprus. I was PEC of the Epi Sgts' Mess and he came back to us with "Lofty" for a few wets. A genuinely funny gent who I found to be good company that evening.

@still staggin My favourite SSM wasn't as shouty as BSM Williams but I did meet a few in Signals who really thought that it was the only way to achieve anything...sigh