Windsor Davies - RIP

& for the duration of the video he is NOT a Pongo or brown job.
Absolutely agreed. In 1989 you could say things like "no titting about". Or "TURN THE BLOODY FAN ON". Even the facial expressions. When he looks in the spillsorb bin and it's empty, the look of disgust on his face was a picture.

I'd love to have seen him do a training video when the rules on homosexuality were relaxed.

"Right listen in, you poofs is now allowed. You lovely boys, er, chaps over there, you must now accept this BUNCH OF SCREAMING NANCY BOYS, er sorry, group of servicemen."

"Now STAND BY YOUR BEDS AND NO PINK UNDERWEAR".

Unfortunately they will have been erased or sold to some "third world" country which seems to be a common ploy of the BBC.
Probably Australia where they seem less worried about PC. I was amazed to find they were showing Love Thy Neighbour regularly when I went out there to visit my Sister, it was a few years back now but still. They also market a cheese with the brand Coon. I kid you not

What Tenby was quite posh in my day. You could even see your feet when you went wading! When you consider the sea at Porthcawl or Ogmore it was a hundred times better. =D

I enjoyed a film he was in - can't remember the title but it was about a group of Welsh rugby fans in Paris for a rugby match and the adventures they have that stop them getting to the ground - as I recall Windor's character ends up in jail and one of the others ends up in bed with some gorgeous French chic.
He played a WRU official in a film about Wales & NZ replaying a test match when one of the players reveals on his deathbed that he had cheated, sadly can't recall the title, think it was on ITV in the '90s?

I have noticed that when the BBC mention his death in its TV and radio news bulletins, they always say he was a sergeant major who bullied his artistic troop of soldiers. Why do they have to bring their leftist views into everything and use the word "bullying"?
They are cnuts that's why.

A truly decent chap - my wife knew his family a bit, and he regularly used to sit and chat with the ladies in the local hairdressers waiting upon his late wife. Had lived the last few decades in and around Sutton - funnily enough, very close to Harry Secombe, that other great Welsh comedy legend.

Probably Australia where they seem less worried about PC. I was amazed to find they were showing Love Thy Neighbour regularly when I went out there to visit my Sister, it was a few years back now but still. They also market a cheese with the brand Coon. I kid you not
Kevin Bloody Wilson is still doing jokes now about “Coons”, in Australia it refers rather derogatory to the indigenous population.

Lets be fair - I doubt there was anyone who attained the rank of WO2 and higher who didnt have a slight influence from Mr Davies... Lovely boy
Agreed .... and one thing is for certain although he may have gone to the great parade ground in the sky his mannerisms will continue to be copied for a long long time ... and joy .... last night I found my boxed set of all episodes of " It Ain't Half Hot Mum " ... so set now for a good few evenings of totally " unPC " nostalgia and humour .

Agreed .... and one thing is for certain although he may have gone to the great parade ground in the sky his mannerisms will continue to be copied for a long long time ... and joy .... last night I found my boxed set of all episodes of " It Ain't Half Hot Mum " ... so set now for a good few evenings of totally " unPC " nostalgia and humour .
I have heard drill instructors use his mannerisms many times,i have on occasion used them myself.
He may have gone now,but Sgt.Major Shut Up will live on,on drill squares everywhere.

My dad joined the HLI in 1939 and he reckoned that Windsor Davies's portrayal was only a gnats away from a lot of the pre war RSMs. In the same way that my CSM ATS mum reckoned that Dad's Army was 90% documentary.

I have noticed that when the BBC mention his death in its TV and radio news bulletins, they always say he was a sergeant major who bullied his artistic troop of soldiers. Why do they have to bring their leftist views into everything and use the word "bullying"?
You'd think that they'd be more sympathetic towards the character. He was, after all, the prototype Jafaican, with his, 'I is goin' to do' this and 'I is going to do' that. All that was needed to complete the picture was a tea cosy hat instead of a beret.

My dad joined the HLI in 1939 and he reckoned that Windsor Davies's portrayal was only a gnats away from a lot of the pre war RSMs. In the same way that my CSM ATS mum reckoned that Dad's Army was 90% documentary.
As we know,Jimmy Perry was in the Home Guard and a Royal Artillery concert party,so he wrote with some subject knowledge.

As we know,Jimmy Perry was in the Home Guard and a Royal Artillery concert party,so he wrote with some subject knowledge.
I loved the programme and the Windsor Davies character in particular. However, what has always intrigued me, is how come a smart, shouty Regimental sort such as the BSM he portrayed, ended up in such a backwater post? Had he been moved sideways for inappropriate behaviour perhaps?
Yes, yes, I know it was only a TV programme! :smile:

Last edited: