Windsor Davies - RIP

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect the BBC will be very selective showing any clips today!
Melvyn Hayes has just said on the News it’s a shame it is banned in parts of this country due to modern snowflake sensitivity, but is still shown all over the world, including countries such as Burma and India. Compared to some of the shite TV ‘comedy’ screened in the UK today, it is a classic and Windsor Davies’ portrayal of the Sgt Maj is one of the best TV caricatures ever.
RIP Sir!
Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I suspect the BBC will be very selective showing any clips today!
Melvyn Hayes has just said on the News it’s a shame it is banned in this country due to modern snowflake sensitivity, but is still shown all over the world, including countries such as Burma and India. Compared to some of the shite TV ‘comedy’ screened in the UK today, it is a classic and Windsor Davies’ portrayal of the Sgt Maj is one of the best TV caricatures ever.
RIP Sir!
It's not banned in the UK. However you're very unlikely to see it on the BBC again.

You can pick it up quite easily in DVD form flogged, with staggering hypocrisy, by the BBC.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It's not banned in the UK. However you're very unlikely to see it on the BBC again.

You can pick it up quite easily in DVD form flogged, with staggering hypocrisy, by the BBC.
And that is a bloody good point. The BBC is a most hypocritical organisation, banning - or if not banning then not allowing - certain programmes to be shown yet very happy to make money from the sale either by dvd or cd.

He did do shouty very well.

Admit it, how many of you met with RSMs / CSMs who were like his characer during basic training?

A great loss of a fine actor, get the feeling they may show more of him in "Never the Twain" though.

I bet Lofty and any other members of the concert party already 'up there' will be absolutely cacking themselves.

RIP and thanks for all the entertainment.

OZ

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Shame and he wasn't exactly old.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

It's a lot cheaper from other sellers, so stuff them I picked it up a while back from HMV for about £12

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm trying to find his original Wispa advert, but all I can find is the one for Wispa Gold.

That was his defining acting moment if you ask me. :D

Shame, will be missed!