Windrush Scandal

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That's effectively how Muslim banks give mortgages.
There was an investigation a few years back that showed the normal way is cheaper.
Yes, Martin Lewis via MSE website has often showed them as being competitively priced in the interest rates. Not for me though. If I'm going to get ripped off I prefer it to be by my own sort.

Last edited:
Perhaps the oil rich Arab nations will cut back on Bentleys, Bulgravia and bling to help their brethren out. It would be interesting to know just how much aid money makes it out of Dubai, Saudi, UAE et al to impoverished Muslim nations.
If you are in the vicinity of Harrods/Harvey Nick's in Brompton Road, South Kensington in the first week of September you can ask them in person as half the population of those countries is in the area spending their oil wealth on designer gear, jewellry and other tat. Oh and makeing cnuts of themselves driving their sports cars down Sloane Street.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but it does damage the narrative of West Indians coming to the UK because we were short of labour.

The London Transport Museum stating that people came from Barbados, Jamaica and Trinidad due to high unemployment levels on the islands and the local governments actively encouraged London Transport to recruit there. As travel costs were paid by the island governments as a loan, the West Indians were effectively indentured servants of the West Indian government until the loan was paid off. So, black people working in England as "slaves" of a black country.

Not sure how the narrative of the evil British empire enslaving and looting the globe holds up when black migrants are now claimed to have happily come to Britain in droves to help us rebuild after the war, they can't both be true.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but it does damage the narrative of West Indians coming to the UK because we were short of labour.

The London Transport Museum stating that people came from Barbados, Jamaica and Trinidad due to high unemployment levels on the islands and the local governments actively encouraged London Transport to recruit there. As travel costs were paid by the island governments as a loan, the West Indians were effectively indentured servants of the West Indian government until the loan was paid off. So, black people working in England as "slaves" of a black country.

I've been watching a series called Secrets of the London Underground

One episode talked of driver training and said just this; that the Barbadian Govt was behind setting up recruitment centres to send people to the Mother Country.

The traditional narrative was that it was London Transport who were the initiators.

Not sure how the narrative of the evil British empire enslaving and looting the globe holds up when black migrants are now claimed to have happily come to Britain in droves to help us rebuild after the war, they can't both be true.
As ever the narrative depends on what you want. Before the U.K. there was England and investors from Scotland and Ireland, but the concept of empire was a lot smaller then. You don’t get a real concept of Empire much before the American civil war and unfortunately we had banned slavery before that. The reality was much more that British Givernment under Attlee and before had promised every soldier his job back when he got home.
This was sadly far from the truth as companies had gone To the wall during the war. But in bases around the world squaddies had not been expected to do the menial work.
Plus we had millions of captured POWs from Italy and Germany. If there were shortages of manpower, they were in Germany and Italy. Add that to the female workforce now no longer required, but who had the hump because they were earning and independent of their men folks. Incidentally the divorce rate shot up after both world wars.
There’s one other point, the British empire at its peak, was in fact rather short lived. It didn’t reach its peak until Victoria and was largely gone a hundred years later. What’s rather more interesting is the numbers who wanted to become members of the commonwealth. France on the other hand has extended it’s territory so that the people are French and that has far more to do with their relationship with us post war.

All the countries in the West Indies were British Crown Colonies until the mid sixties though.

Latest Threads