Windrush Scandal

Every cloud has a silver lining. If we're deporting British Citizens, I can think of a few that I'd offer a lift to Heathrow.

Jez
Rolf Harris
Diane
Ant or Dec (the one who just got done for drunk driving)
Ken Livingstone (Deport to Israel)
Just to see the expression on Amber Rudd’s face, can we deport the Home Office, including its secretary?

That’ll learn ‘em.

Two alternative explanations circulating around the Department and both are to do with Brexit, albeit in different ways:

Scenario 1. - Proving how tough we are to the EU i.e. we'll chuck your people out without a substantive right of appeal unless you give us a trade deal which includes financial services

Scenario 2. - Remain-supporting senior officials deliberately embarrassing the government in order to ensure that the next Immigration Bill with its measures against EU/EEA Nationals and their families gets watered down

Personally, I subscribe to the cock-up rather than conspiracy theory of history but you never know...
Nah. Nothing to do with Brexit. It's far, far worse than that.

The roots of all this are based in the political and administrative panic around visa over stayers and their ever growing numbers.

Capita were hired by the UK government to find 174,000 migrants who had been denied permission to stay in the UK and had gone missing.

The now infamous "backlog" was discovered by Chief Inspector of Immigration in a review having been ignored for years. After all, that would have meant actually doing something!

So they did. And my it just went so well:

Home Office 'Go home' adverts banned

Now it's a bit difficult finding and deporting people who don't want to be found. So how about finding some who were never hiding in the first place because they never thought they had any reason to?

You don't need to know much about how Capita and dense, tick box driven outsourced processes work to understand how utter, evil shit like this can happen.

The true scandal is that senior beings in the Home Office knew full well what was happening and tried suppression of fact and ignoring the ugly truth: they could not catch the guilty so were blithely deporting through the actions of Crapita innocents on the back of bureaucratic "deficiencies" in paperwork to make up the numbers.

Thus we have the astounding sight of a Home Secretary effectively being reduced to throwing parts of her own department under the bus.

Where it deserves to be.

I suspect it's as much about various pen-pushers being aware of the problem but thinking it wasn't for them to sort out so just keeping their heads down and carrying on regardless, as it is institutional cock-up.

That said, the HOs repeated refusal to see the various Caribbean delegates would suggest more senior people at the HO knew there was an issue and were pursuing a policy of stonewalling in a hope it would all just go away.
I suspect it also represents the nature of civil service bureaucracy - personal judgement and experience has been replaced with massively complex rules and regs that nobody actually understands, so everyone just relies on ticking the boxes and following the flow chart in order to make a decision, which in turn can’t be questioned because nobody really understands what the outcome is supposed to be.

Government advice for returnees

View attachment 331205

Coming home to Jamaica guide - GOV.UK

Just tin eared and gormless
I despair as to what goes through the head of the average civil servant these days.
There's an old Jamaican bloke (think he came over as a kid) who drives for DPD from Brum out here to the sticks, really nice chap, takes quite good landscape photos on his breaks. I dunno whether he's old enough to be covered by this but the idea of dumping him (and probably his parents) back in modern Kingston just seems like madness.

Still it does make you wonder what would have happened if we'd gone down the French route and made Jamaica, Barbados etc into counties.

I agree that Lammy’s ‘outrage’ in the House was singularly unedifying and was a text-book case of posturing and sound-bite politics.

In other words, pathetic.

It has been gratifying though to see all sides of the house give the HO the roasting it fully deserves for its shameful indifference to a group of British citizens who should never have been put in the situation they find themselves.
It feels Lammy is only sticking his head above the parapet when there's an issue involving ethnic minorities.

Remember the "The real (Grenfell) death toll is higher and the Government is keeping it from us" debacle?

Utter wretch

I suspect the various Home Office ministers let this policy continue believing they would be able to keep the public onside by spinning it as carrying out an electoral promise to reduce immigration, or something similar.

Daily Mail readers would be happy, and they could carry on regardless.

I don't think they factored into their thinking that even Wail readers are quite capable of telling the difference between those who are entitled to be here and those who are not, hence the almost universal condemnation.

Nah. Nothing to do with Brexit. It's far, far worse than that.

The roots of all this are based in the political and administrative panic around visa over stayers and their ever growing numbers.

Capita were hired by the UK government to find 174,000 migrants who had been denied permission to stay in the UK and had gone missing.

The now infamous "backlog" was discovered by Chief Inspector of Immigration in a review having been ignored for years. After all, that would have meant actually doing something!

So they did. And my it just went so well:

Home Office 'Go home' adverts banned

Now it's a bit difficult finding and deporting people who don't want to be found. So how about finding some who were never hiding in the first place because they never thought they had any reason to?

You don't need to know much about how Capita and dense, tick box driven outsourced processes work to understand how utter, evil shit like this can happen.

The true scandal is that senior beings in the Home Office knew full well what was happening and tried suppression of fact and ignoring the ugly truth: they could not catch the guilty so were blithely deporting through the actions of Crapita innocents on the back of bureaucratic "deficiencies" in paperwork to make up the numbers.

Thus we have the astounding sight of a Home Secretary effectively being reduced to throwing parts of her own department under the bus.

Where it deserves to be.
That’s absolutely shocking. How on earth is Capita still in business in this country, as it seems to be associated with one balls up after another?

Only 100 murder's a month out there, you'll be fine.

For the first 7 days before they machete you to bits.
Hmmm. 7000 islands in the Caribbean. Ignore all those and just go for the 13 sovereign nations and 12 dependencies. That makes an average of 4 per big place per month. A lot less than London and about half that have been carried out in Birmingham (ours) this year.
Avoid Jamaica and you'll be fine. (and, of course, the island Sant Marie which has at least two murders every week cos it shows them on Death in Paradise which is again about half every week in Midsomer).

There are many 'students' attending dubious seats of learning and many others signed up to legit places who's record of attendance is poor to non-existent.
Tier 4 pretty much knocked that on the head, thanks to UKBA as was dumping it's policing responsibilities wholesale onto the institutions. Education Providers have to be authorised by UKVI to sponsor international student visas and the majority of legit FE colleges gave up admitting international students as the admin burden and risk were too high. Once on course, they're required to monitor and report attendance, the theory being that if the UKVI ever get their thumb out their arse long enough they'll curtail the visa of non-attenders.

International university students almost all return home if they can't get a job in the UK or elsewhere after graduation, with a decent minority staying for further study.

The private sector is and always has been where the abuse stemmed from - not just in immigration, you should take a look at student funding down your way - and their are far cheaper and less complicated routes than student visas for someone to gain entry to the UK.

It feels Lammy is only sticking his head above the parapet when there's an issue involving ethnic minorities.

Remember the "The real (Grenfell) death toll is higher and the Government is keeping it from us" debacle?

Utter wretch
Diane Abbott's maths condition is catching. Lammy's use of the exaggerated numbers is getting a bit annoying and does tend to make him look a bigger throber than he is. I keep wondering how he got to the Bar.

Two alternative explanations circulating around the Department and both are to do with Brexit, albeit in different ways:

Scenario 1. - Proving how tough we are to the EU i.e. we'll chuck your people out without a substantive right of appeal unless you give us a trade deal which includes financial services

Scenario 2. - Remain-supporting senior officials deliberately embarrassing the government in order to ensure that the next Immigration Bill with its measures against EU/EEA Nationals and their families gets watered down

Personally, I subscribe to the cock-up rather than conspiracy theory of history but you never know...
It seem like it's come to light after the 2012 decision announced by May to make the UK a "hostile environment for illegal immigrants" this included coercing employers and landlords into basically bubbling their employees and tenants under threat of large fines

DENOUNCE YOUR TENANTS

Penny didn't drop until I realised that I'm supposed to do it for tenants and lodgers.

I'd be interested to hear about the decision making of companies that bubbled long term hard working employees of the wind rush generation

"Morning George, you've worked tirelessly paying your tax within society for 40 years, including 25 years at this company, please accept this gold watch from us and by the way you're sacked and probably on route to deportation"

Did no organisations make a noise and support their employees?

Last edited:
....unless an adminstrative hiccup-drives em out. Now has this driven out 50,000 odd reducing the numbers? Vaz will be pleased-not!

It’s nothing to do with Brexit or denouncing EU deportees.

This is NOT a new problem, it’s been an issue for decades, it’s just got traction now as the 40 year olds they used to deport have now turned into retired OAPs with full UK pensions avd embarrassing the government of the day.

It’s root is 100% the constantly changing status of Commonwealth subjects, downgraded from right of abode in 1971, to not allowed in the Uk , to another after the Falklands war that only applied to white Kelpers, to another amend in 2001, that only applied to current UK possessions, then another ammebd in 2008. The system is a total bloody mess.

Why didn’t it show up until @ 2000?

Easy, British Visitors Passports. They were scrapped in 1996, and any Commonwealth subject living in the UK could get BVP ‘UK passports.’ For their holidays.
See Mrs Meerkatz having to apply for a full UK passport in 2000 after BVPs were abolished and getting jumped on as an ‘illegal’. After .30 years living here.

So no conspiracies, it’s just good old administrative feckwittery and intertia combined with very dull staff ‘only obeying the rules’.

Diane Abbott's maths condition is catching. Lammy's use of the exaggerated numbers is getting a bit annoying and does tend to make him look a bigger throber than he is. I keep wondering how he got to the Bar.
Also, where was Lammy in the intervening year between his election in 2000 to Labour's GE defeat in 2010?
Strange how things like this only come up when you're in opposition

I suspect he may have been too busy turning a blind eye to Labour's open door 'come on in' immigration policy to notice?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the potential for this cluster f*** was raised back in 2014, indeed here is the Law Action Group's report on it.

Link in tweet (on phone atm so pdfs automatically download instead of opening in browser)

However the government decided not to listen and claimed there were adequate protections in place already

UK removed legal protection for Windrush immigrants in 2014

Ultimately this was a political decision, but the refusal to countenance that such issues would arise, the when they do keep charging ahead anyway, and then refusing to meet concerned parties and diplomats and hoping it would all go away is political ineptitude and callousness of a high order.

The question needs to be asked is this going to rear its head again with the Ugandan/Kenyan Asians who settled in the UK and then again with EU migrants who had previously been allowed to stay.

The stupidity of this is rather special.