Windrush Scandal

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not a chance. We'd just finished six hard, painful years of war against Germany. The country was bankrupt, industry was in tatters and our infrastructure was, if anything, even worse.

Any government suggesting a war against one of our wartime allies in 1945/46 would have been lynched.

Spot on, people seem to forget that the UK had just gone through 6 hard years of war and wanted it finished.
Revisionist snowflakes who get all weepy about Dresden also seem the ignore the facts as they were at the time.
I'm still a bit confused as to why the Poles think we should have liberated them from the Soviets and that confusion extends as to why we declared war on Germany because of the Polish invasion of Sept 1939.
I am grateful for the Polish efforts during WW2 but we must not fool ourselves that they were fighting for us, they weren't, they were fighting for their homeland like the Free French and we gave them the opportunity and the equipment.

However I do think it is shameful that HMG gave away Czechoslovakia without a care in 1938.

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't think it was without a care - we thought Germany was a lot stronger than they actually were and we used Czechoslovakia to buy ourselves time to complete our military rebuilding.

You might be right JBM but I still feel it was a shameful act by Chamberlain.
Tragically, if we had gone to war over Czechoslovakia senior elements of the German armed forces were ready to pounce and unseat Hitler, some of them were involved in the 1944 plot as well.

However, as fascinating as this subject is I feel I have gone seriously off topic so maybe leave it there.

Spot on, people seem to forget that the UK had just gone through 6 hard years of war and wanted it finished.
Revisionist snowflakes who get all weepy about Dresden also seem the ignore the facts as they were at the time.
I'm still a bit confused as to why the Poles think we should have liberated them from the Soviets and that confusion extends as to why we declared war on Germany because of the Polish invasion of Sept 1939.
I am grateful for the Polish efforts during WW2 but we must not fool ourselves that they were fighting for us, they weren't, they were fighting for their homeland like the Free French and we gave them the opportunity and the equipment.

However I do think it is shameful that HMG gave away Czechoslovakia without a care in 1938.

Agree all you say re Poland and the Poles

You might be right JBM but I still feel it was a shameful act by Chamberlain.
Tragically, if we had gone to war over Czechoslovakia senior elements of the German armed forces were ready to pounce and unseat Hitler, some of them were involved in the 1944 plot as well.

However, as fascinating as this subject is I feel I have gone seriously off topic so maybe leave it there.

Bloody don't - far more interesting!

Two of my ex's cousins where deported. To be be truthful they were bad men (Burger Boys) but
Is he milking it?

Two of my ex's cousins where deported. To be be truthful they were bad men (Burger Boys) but
Is he milking it?
categorically, I would say it's a possibility. But a slim one.
Refused work. No NI Number? after being inn the RA? would be the only way you could be refused work, the state can't stop you unless it is conditional. Refused treatment by the NHS ? Well possible depends on where and how. NHS dentistry, in England well it's not cheap for the poorly off ( but not just because he's windrusher). So if he has a choice between food and heat, there's some income coming in just SNAFU as usual in the Benefits system. If he's saying it's because he's a windrusher, he's milking it. FW IW there were people back in the 70's who were on bens and getting more income that me when I joined Customs.

What pisses me off is the 'elasticity' of Windrush immigrants.

At one time it was post 45 to 55,now we're going into the 70's,which is pretty good going because it sank in 1954 in the Med.

Given that those that actually arrived on the Windrush in 48, automatically became British citizens and, because of that so did their offspring, where are these people with no passports, no birth certificates (to prove they are British) etc. coming from ? :???:

Given that those that actually arrived on the Windrush in 48, automatically became British citizens and, because of that so did their offspring, where are these people with no passports, no birth certificates (to prove they are British) etc. coming from ? :???:
"The Home Office kept no record of those granted leave to remain and issued no paperwork - making it is difficult for Windrush arrivals to prove their legal status.
In 2010, it destroyed landing cards belonging to Windrush migrants."

"The Home Office kept no record of those granted leave to remain and issued no paperwork - making it is difficult for Windrush arrivals to prove their legal status.
In 2010, it destroyed landing cards belonging to Windrush migrants."
So,between 1948 and 2010,not one of them left the country,applied for a passport or, got married ?

Note the BBC edited that piece so there was no good word said about Britain, just cold, bad food and dull, trying to make out the immigrants were doing us a favour.

So,between 1948 and 2010,not one of them left the country,applied for a passport or, got married ?
I'm sure some did and some didn't.

Have a quick look at the types of British nationality, particularly the overseas options. It possible to have a Brit passport and not be a British citizen or have the right to live/work in the UK

"

Rights as a British overseas citizen​

You can:

• hold a British passport
  • get consular assistance and protection from UK diplomatic posts
Unless you’re also a British citizen:

• you’re still subject to immigration controls - you do not have the automatic right to live or work in the UK
  • you are not considered a UK national by the European Union (EU)"

Latest Threads