Windrush Scandal

30 years ago, I was unaware of black people in Britain before the Victorian age - because I was never taught it and never came across it in any books. See what I mean about whose history?
so I've either got 20 or so years on you or you was unedumactated, cos it was my History Master Eggy excel- an ex Marine-he of the board rubber amateur dramatics who taught us that and sparked my real love of History.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
30 years ago, I was unaware of black people in Britain before the Victorian age - because I was never taught it and never came across it in any books. See what I mean about whose history?
Because they were not important and there was an awful lot of other more key stuff to cover.

Because they were not important and there was an awful lot of other more key stuff to cover.
They seem quite important to a few folk nowadays, else we wouldn't be having the discussion.

Which brings us neatly back to the starting point of any discussion on what to teach in school history - "What do we hope to achieve by teaching school history?" I'd suggest that 'key stuff' is always going to be the subject of debate and ultimately be influenced by a large amount of personal preference.

They seem quite important to a few folk nowadays, else we wouldn't be having the discussion.

Which brings us neatly back to the starting point of any discussion on what to teach in school history - "What do we hope to achieve by teaching school history?" I'd suggest that 'key stuff' is always going to be the subject of debate and ultimately be influenced by a large amount of personal preference.
Personal preference?? Then the history syllabus in London and a few other areas could potentially include ‘the conception & development of the Bowie knife’, ‘drill music and its impact on social mobility throughout the decade’?

Personal preference?
Well, it's ultimately decided by people saying, "This is important, that isn't. We'll teach this and not that."

Other people with different priorities might make different choices in what pupils are taught.

International university students almost all return home if they can't get a job in the UK or elsewhere after graduation, with a decent minority staying for further study.

The private sector is and always has been where the abuse stemmed from - not just in immigration, you should take a look at student funding down your way - and their are far cheaper and less complicated routes than student visas for someone to gain entry to the UK.
Australia beats UK for overseas students

Absolutely - the Labour Party always blames others for the mistakes that they, Labour makes when in government. Last time when the Conservatives were in oppostion under New Labour, some Labour stalwarts blamed the Torys fro not being a credible oppostion and allowing Blair and Pals to get away with hitching their selves to George Dubya Bush's coatails in respect to the invasion of Iraq and regime change of Sadam Hussein

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
And of course the Tories would never use "racism" to win a seat, would they?
Britain’s most racist election: the story of Smethwick, 50 years on

MsG
Nice whataboutry, lets use something that happened 50 years ago to justify what happens d today. I notice you omit to mention the Guardian article admits the fact the Smethwick LABOUR Club also operated a colour bar too, odd that.
"That said, in 1964, Smethwick’s Labour party was part of the racist problem rather than clearly its solution. One of Gill’s predecessors as a Labour councillor was a man called Ken Burns who ran the Sandwell Youth Club and operated a colour bar there. Worse, there was a colour bar at the Labour club on Coopers Lane."

And of course the Tories would never use "racism" to win a seat, would they?
Britain’s most racist election: the story of Smethwick, 50 years on

MsG
What? About the time landlords and guesthouse owners had signs in the window saying, "No dogs, no blacks, no Irish," you mean? 'Cos that sort of thing goes on today, right?

Nice whataboutry, lets use something that happened 50 years ago to justify what happens d today. I notice you omit to mention the Guardian article admits the fact the Smethwick LABOUR Club also operated a colour bar too, odd that.
"That said, in 1964, Smethwick’s Labour party was part of the racist problem rather than clearly its solution. One of Gill’s predecessors as a Labour councillor was a man called Ken Burns who ran the Sandwell Youth Club and operated a colour bar there. Worse, there was a colour bar at the Labour club on Coopers Lane."
Short answer: wot e' said. ^

What? About the time landlords and guesthouse owners had signs in the window saying, "No dogs, no blacks, no Irish," you mean? 'Cos that sort of thing goes on today, right?
what always amused me in retrospect was Germans were never picked out, even though. In later years my dad told me that at boarding School the headmaster asked my father when he was getting married to Mum. She had long name and the surname was on the lower line. My father responded- We are- I thought headmasters could could read.

Short answer: wot e' said. ^
These days the ones in Nottingham just say "No Blustering Bullshitters", which is why Bugsy currently has accommodation problems.

To say nothing of the fact that the unions were originally opposed to immigration.