Windrush Scandal

Which of course completely negates what Historyis about.
Not on its own, it doesn't. At worst, it adds to the pile of 'histories' caused by people picking and choosing what bits to focus on as 'history'.

That was quite a big pile in the UK long before Black History came along.

Shouldn't we have Briton History Month, Saxon History Month, Angle History month etc
We've already got those, we call them January, February, March, etc. Or just 'British history' for convenience.
If we going to start celebrating particulars races, or are they really implying one race is more worthy than another ?
They're not celebrating, from what I've seen of it. They are pointing out that there were black people involved in 'history' whose stories weren't commonly told and were completely omitted from school lessons.

Not on its own, it doesn't. At worst, it adds to the pile of 'histories' caused by people picking and choosing what bits to focus on as 'history'.

That was quite a big pile in the UK long before Black History came along.
Kids wise up to it though, I remember our History teacher at school banging on about Chairman Mao

They think they're smart but only the naive or stupid really fall for it

Kids wise up to it though, I remember our History teacher at school banging on about Chairman Mao
I remember mine banging on about King Harold and the Duke of Normandy.

It took me quite a while for me to realise the history of my own bit would have been broadly the same without them and wonder why they took up so much teaching time.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
We've already got those, we call them January, February, March, etc. Or just 'British history' for convenience.

They're not celebrating, from what I've seen of it. They are pointing out that there were black people involved in 'history' whose stories weren't commonly told and were completely omitted from school lessons.
So what? List, please, of names of individual black people who made a big difference to the way our island developed.

Because history turns on big decisions (good and bad) made by a few, and the achievements and discoveries of a very few, a very large proportion of them being British. XMT Hitler, Stalin and a few other foreign ghastlies.

The stories uncommonly told, like the black slave traders, perhaps we should suggest that for Black History Month ?

So what? List, please, of names of individual black people who made a big difference to the way our island developed.
If that's the criteria for school history - and it's not unreasonable that school history be an extension of civics, IMO - then the curricula need pretty savage overhaul.

Otherwise, I don't see why the UK's black folk shouldn't take an interest in the history of black folk in the UK. Or anyone else who's interested, for that matter.

The stories uncommonly told, like the black slave traders, perhaps we should suggest that for Black History Month ?
Crack on, if it keeps you happy.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Vince Cable seems to think it is a celebration.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I find the whole thing rather sinister in the same way as I feel about racial discrimination. My belief if that we are all people and it is only by their actions and attitude that I differentiate one from another.

Similarly, history is merely a record by one, or more, of those doing the recording.

Well 50 years ago, I was well aware that Black Romans were on Hadrian’s wall- Bede on the other hand appears to have gorne missing.

Well 50 years ago, I was well aware that Black Romans were on Hadrian’s wall- Bede on the other hand appears to have gorne missing.
30 years ago, I was unaware of black people in Britain before the Victorian age - because I was never taught it and never came across it in any books. See what I mean about whose history?

What about the hastily contrived revisionist black history...Mary Seacole for example??