Windrush Scandal

On ROPS
On ROPs
The whole 'are ID cards a good idea' thing was gone over at some length when it was mooted the last time around, but the rejection of it basically boiled down to no agreement on how much data would be kept on an individual (it ballooned as more govt. depts. and agencies got in on the act), who would have access to that data (ditto), the security of the data ('cos, you know, govt. IT), and how much all that would cost.

Most of those problems still remain and if anything, the project would be a lot harder to sell now.

The whole Cambridge Analytica/Facebook thing highlights that a lot of people are still very tetchy about what data is held on them, who has access and what it's used for.

It's a moot point anyway, as Austerity effectively kicked the whole idea into the long grass last time and I can't see the Government being able to stump-up the money now, even if they were minded to try and resurrect the project.
Govt stumping-up the money? Don't you mean the taxpayer?
One thing they're not shy about is burning public money.
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | ID cards scheme 'may cost £18bn'

Now, today, we have this-

'People have been denied the right to vote in local council elections in a controversial pilot of ID checks that force voters to prove their identities before casting their ballot.'
People denied right to vote in UK for first time ever due to lack of ID, in controversial local election trial
Local elections 2018 - Voters turned away from polls because they don't have ID with them

Textbook problem, reaction, solution.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to bypass ID cards and offer subdermal chips to everybody instead?
Just like in the guinea-pig, live-trial police state of Oz?
Time to throw away your keys and wallet

Just bung it on a driving license and add the nhs number/ni number.
Don't

'People have been denied the right to vote in local council elections in a controversial pilot of ID checks that force voters to prove their identities before casting their ballot.'
People denied right to vote in UK for first time ever due to lack of ID, in controversial local election trial
Local elections 2018 - Voters turned away from polls because they don't have ID with them

Wouldn't it be so much easier to bypass ID cards and offer subdermal chips to everybody instead?
A second declaration in Swindon has witnessed nearly a 5% increase in turnout, again suggesting that the voter ID pilot in the borough may not have significantly impacted on turnout. Meanwhile, in this ward too there is virtually no swing from Conservative to Labour or vice-versa.
From the same BBC
So do bore off.

On ROPS
On ROPs
Bore off? Haha.
Lets see where we are in 12mths with regards to this, then I may 'bore off'.

I have zero issue expecting people to prove their identity to vote, but then I live not far from Bradford and to say that some of the people in West Yorkshire (and other places with certain demographics where corruption and fraud are routine) are blatantly capable of giving false names and using "family" insurances is an understatement of gross proportions.

ID cards would have been so ludicrously expensive under the Liebour scheme as it would have required numerous databases which would have been outsourced to the big IT consultancies (many of which I've either worked for or managed from the Gov't end) and they're famous for massive cost overruns and bad project incompetence despite having good people that try to get things right.

A simple ID card along the lines of a Driving Licence with nothing more complicated than name, photo, NI Number, basic passport details would be easy to implement and let's face it they could expand the DVLA capabilities to just reuse what they have for the many millions of licenced drivers in the UK.
I objected fundamentally to the massive databases tie in approach they would have taken if they hadn't abandoned the nonsense, but a straight forward ID card wouldn't be an issue to me as I already have Passport, Drivers Licence and organisational ID's, in fact it could simplify things a bit.

It would seem that Lammy did have the same maths teacher as Abbott.

Mr Javid said the 63 cases he outlined were identified from 8,000 records of removals from the UK of people aged over 45.

At least 63 members of the Windrush generation could have been wrongfully removed or deported from the UK since 2002, the home secretary has said.

Sajid Javid told the Home Affairs Select Committee 32 were foreign offenders and 31 people removed by officials rather than a court order.

He said the figures were provisional.

Lots of virtue signalling on the BBC today, as the 70th anniversary of the Empire Windrush docking at Tilsbury is commemorated. Up to now, it’s mainly Windrush relatives speaking, but the moment Lammy or Abbott turn up, the channel is changing!

ugly

LE
Lots of virtue signalling on the BBC today, as the 70th anniversary of the Empire Windrush docking at Tilsbury is commemorated. Up to now, it’s mainly Windrush relatives speaking, but the moment Lammy or Abbott turn up, the channel is changing!
According to last nights radio news PMTM has announced a windrush day to be celebrated annually, I'm not sure how we will fit Ramadam in between that and Grefell Tower day or Stephen Lawrence day but hey ho I'm sure we can have a holiday to celebrate (bemoan the end of civilisation) depending upon your views, me I'll be happy when the world cup is over and I can be called a racist again for having a red hand and a St George flag in my office!

According to last nights radio news PMTM has announced a windrush day to be celebrated annually, I'm not sure how we will fit Ramadam in between that and Grefell Tower day or Stephen Lawrence day but hey ho I'm sure we can have a holiday to celebrate (bemoan the end of civilisation) depending upon your views, me I'll be happy when the world cup is over and I can be called a racist again for having a red hand and a St George flag in my office!
How on earth can they all be squeezed in to an already busy schedule? They will probably try and airbrush St George’s day (very divisive don’t you know) out of the calendar to make room for something more ‘worthy and inclusive’!

ugly

LE
How on earth can they all be squeezed in to an already busy schedule? They will probably try and airbrush St George’s day (very divisive don’t you know) out of the calendar to make room for something more ‘worthy and inclusive’!
Its for racists after all!

They will probably try and airbrush St George’s day (very divisive don’t you know) out of the calendar to make room for something more ‘worthy and inclusive’!
An foreign blow-in, the veneration of whom is shared with various European and Middle Eastern types? What could be more inclusive than that?

She is completely losing the run of herself

I'm surprised we don't [ave a Nelson Mandela day yet, it's the sort of thing you can imagine them replacing St Georges day with

You are a racist. You forgot Black History Month.

....again........ Now what was that
Ah yes, see our wonderful forebears had this brilliant idea. Everyone who'd been fighting would get their back job even if the missus was already doing it. Then they decided there were lots of jobs that could be done for nuffink as no one wanted to do them which meant they had to have more migrants. In the mean time they sent the kids of our lot to Australia, New Zealand and Canada as cheapo Labour and dressed it up as a favour and set up the ten quid poms. What could possibly go wrong?

[Q
....again........ Now what was that
Ah yes, see our wonderful forebears had this brilliant idea. Everyone who'd been fighting would get their back job even if the missus was already doing it. Then they decided there were lots of jobs that could be done for nuffink as no one wanted to do them which meant they had to have more migrants. In the mean time they sent the kids of our lot to Australia, New Zealand and Canada as cheapo Labour and dressed it up as a favour and set up the ten quid poms. What could possibly go wrong?
Remember to also about 120,00 Poles were resettled in the UK being reluctant to return to the Communist state, they faced as much prejudice and hatred as the Afro Caribs

But hang on this was orchestrated by Communists, Unions and their assorted left wing followers, may be they should get an apolgy and a day off? Also 24,000 German POWs asked to stay for same reason as Poles - can we have a Boxhead Day offalso?

ugly

LE
I never got that, history is everyones regardless of colour, anything else is racist!