Windrush Scandal

As it comes in the same week that Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech was broadcast on the BBC you can't blame them if they think someone high up has got it in for them...
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 15.46.25.png

It seems the number of unregularised Windrush cases is @ 50,000. A very small number.
FWIW, the 2001 BOT Bill regularised @ 240,000 former UK Subjects as full UK citizens.,

Why has it taken so long to get in the news ?
I do not know. The other very toxic historic scandal for me surrounds those kids who were papped out to Oz, often into modern slavery, and sometimes worse. 130.000 of them within 50 years and up to the 70's.
Met one such in Oct.2017 when in Albury-Wodonga. She.had made it good and owned a couple of fashion shops but not before around 2 decades or ill treatment and various forms of abuse. She's now in her mid 70's, and in spitting good health in retirement. Thousands of others were not so fortunate...in a manner of speaking.

Oranges and Sunshine: Emily Watson stars in child migrant scandal film

Foreign students have been another target of the low hanging fruit issue (ie restriction), this despite opposition from Universities, Trade Unions, Business and the Public the vast majority of the public viewing foreign students as benefiting the country and should not be included in the immigration targets/statistics.

This case is a classic case of our pathetic immigration service shooting ourselves in the foot... Soon-to-qualify GP faces deportation

snip "Dr Luke Ong, 31, who studied medicine in the UK, applied for the right to remain in September.
He was refused by the Home Office for being 18 days late, a mistake the British Medical Association (BMA) described as "an honest oversight".
The Home Office said it would be "inappropriate to comment".

I do not know. The other very toxic historic scandal for me surrounds those kids who were papped out to Oz, often into modern slavery, and sometimes worse. 130.000 of them within 50 years and up to the 70's.
Met one such in Oct.2017 when in Albury-Wodonga. She.had made it good and owned a couple of fashion shops but not before around 2 decades or ill treatment and various forms of abuse. She's now in her mid 70's, and in spitting good health in retirement. Thousands of others were not so fortunate...in a manner of speaking.

Oranges and Sunshine: Emily Watson stars in child migrant scandal film
I watched this movie many years ago. Harrowing film.

Suspect that those working for HMG who have been instigating the arrest and deportation of the "Windrush" children are either EU nationals or other 2nd generation immigrants. Usually it is those who don't understand Britain's history who muck it up or blindly follow policy.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Certainly historical ignorance, but as soon as the first case landed on the doorstep, somebody should have realised the cock up. The fact that they continued in this manner was willfully blind
It might be 'jobsworth syndrome' from minor cogs in the machine afraid to tell the big boss its a fustercluck and containing to process applications in the hope the problem goes away.

Or people continuing to process the applications happy in the knowledge it will eventually cause the government embarrassment.

Wordsmith

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If they can't find enough people to pap out under this, I'll happily volunteer to be relocated to the Caribbean provided I get a resettlement payment.

Government furiously backing down on this issue

Will those who have already paid be refunded, what about those who had to pay for medical care they were denied for free on the NHS?
Not if HMG can weasel its way out of it, no.

Certainly, it would be in keeping with the indifference displayed so far.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It might be 'jobsworth syndrome' from minor cogs in the machine afraid to tell the big boss its a fustercluck and containing to process applications in the hope the problem goes away.

Or people continuing to process the applications happy in the knowledge it will eventually cause the government embarrassment.

Wordsmith
Thing is Delegates from the High Commisions of various Caribbean former colonies have been trying to get meetings with the Prime Minster since last year and have constantly been given the brush off

Caribbean diplomats ask UK for more compassion for citizens

No 10 refuses Caribbean request to discuss children of Windrush

The Law protecting them was removed in 2014, citing adequate protections already exist:

UK removed legal protection for Windrush immigrants in 2014

Which has patently shown to be rubbish

Wordsmith

In SWMBO's case, it was a snotty little wet behind the ears jobsworth.
He didn't even know the significance of the 1948 Nationality Act, but did like to make 'respect mah authoritah' threats.

FWIW when my mum and dad got married in 1950, her being German an' all she became British by virtue of marriage. Dad made her apply for naturalisation from the date of their wedding so she became a British citizen in her own right, not just as a result of marriage. It's always worth ensuring you dot the i (s) in these matters and don't just accept that if you haven't heard you're ok.

nb as in so much our much vaunted masters get it wrong. The 1971 was in preparation for us joining the EEC and guess who didn't want us to bring in the commonwealth. No such problems for ex French dependencies.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
nb as in so much our much vaunted masters get it wrong. The 1971 was in preparation for us joining the EEC and guess who didn't want us to bring in the commonwealth. No such problems for ex French dependencies.
If you mean places like the French Caribbean Territories and French Guiana etc, they are departements (ie provinces) of Metroploitan France

Overseas France - Wikipedia

Full voting rights and representation in the French Parliament

Seems definitely c0ck-up rather than conspiracy. Not that that will stop the raaaaaacist outrage bus driven by David Lammy.

ETA - and for the avoidance of doubt, it's a shameful c0ck-up that needs sorting very much sooner rather than later. That does not mean that the HO and all it's denizens are institutionally anything.
Oh I think it does, it proves they're institutionally stupid, but as usual some politician will carry the can and the civil servants will all go "Who - us - no we weren't responsible". Advice to any new minister, go and find out exactly what your department is really doing, do not rely on your senior civil servants to tell you the truth. Somewhere there will an act of gross stupidity going on and you will save yourself a lot of bother if you can find it before it finds you.

ugly

LE
I would like to put my hand up and confess that I identify as a windrush immigrant, my address will be made available for the taxi and the one way ticket to a sunny paradise all at taxpayers expense of course!