Windrush Scandal

One might think that various politicians care less about the people involved, so much as how they can be used to 'advance' their own position.
Why? That's what politics is. I'd expect nothing less from the self-serving spongers on all sides.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I imagine Amber late at night sticking ins into a dolly of TM.

And I would like to hope that some senior HO CS have had some useful re-education.

The existence of arbitrary targets for what ought to be the outcome of due process only is a fairly serious issue. It's only a matter of time before that standard gets applied to others who also should be solely subject to due process.

It's basic separation of powers stuff.
There's a difference between suspending application of due process and having targets for removal of illegals with no right to remain. For avoidance of doubt, the Windrush migrants are not illegal and have right to remain.

Where there is an acknowledged backlog of illegals without right to remain and who have exhausted due process, it is negligent in the extreme of the HO not to have a plan - and associated (non-arbitrary) targets - to clear that backlog.

It is not acceptable to use those affected by Windrush to meet those targets, but the existence of the targets is not in itself a scandal. Contrary to implication of current confected outrage.

Last edited:
How about "The problem with the UK is, to many white people" or "Anybody that is anti-immigration is a racist",also passing a racist remark in Parliament, denigrating "Fat Old White Men"? If I had mentioned "Fat Old Black Men", that would be considered a racist remark and, nobody pulls her up for it, so she just keeps on going ! People per se, are getting mightily pissed off with her double standards,hypocrisy and,predictable narrative !
Don't forget her remarks denigrating non-black mothers.

It was priceless today when Brains Trust 2018 stood up to suggest without a hint of irony that Rudd should resign as she couldn't get basic facts right.

There's a difference between suspending application of due process and having targets for removal of illegals with no right to remain.
Only linguistically. In application, there's no way of timestamping in advance when due process will come to an end, particularly when it's dependant on Home Office or the UKVI getting their act together.

If you don't know when someone will become illegal but still have a quota of deportations to meet, then it becomes problematic. That's why we have Courts deciding what's lawful instead of Ministers.

Edit: just noted your edit and agree on the stipulation due process has already been exhausted rather than the current situation.

Not followed the thread, but I'll say that this may well result in a drubbing for the governing party in the local elections.

Regardless of whether it wasn't done in malice, it looks awful and is a terrible advert for a supposedly open Britain in the future.

Used to be said that the Home Office was the graveyard of political careers (and that May had broken the curse) looks like that with Rudd the old rule is re-asserting itself.

Don’t be cruel. Every man has an intellectual limit. Some are just a lot lower. You should not judge.
The mask of insipid friendliness slips. As I say, you are advancing arguments that, if it were so simple things would have been sorted out long ago.

Still it's for another thread. Well done for getting an MBA though. It's clearly given you a perception of your capabilities :)

Enjoy your evening

The mask of insipid friendliness slips. As I say, you are advancing arguments that, if it were so simple things would have been sorted out long ago.

Still it's for another thread. Well done for getting an MBA though. It's clearly given you a perception of your capabilities :)

Enjoy your evening
Don’t desert me old friend, you obviously have time - you just don’t have the answers so you hide on this thread....

Don’t desert me old friend, you obviously have time - you just don’t have the answers so you hide on this thread....
Do you think that the Windrush scandal will impact the governing party in the coming local elections?

Do you think that the Windrush scandal will impact the governing party in the coming local elections?
I wouldn’t know TBH. Probably, in a polarising way. I always feel there is still a lot of covert racism in the UK, and illegal/undocumented residents don’t get a good response in many areas. On the other hand some sections of the community will make major efforts to respond to the situation.

The saddest thing is once again people’s misfortune will be used by people for political advantage, and then they will be dumped as soon as the advantage fades.

But it’s not a subject I know anything at all about. I can’t make a valid contribution to the discussion, sorry.

No, I made my last post up. Everyone in the country is wailing and gnashing their teeth at the plight of the Saints of the Windrush. Grown men can be seen openly weeping, women are thowing themselves to the ground and screaming hysterically. Do you mean you haven`t noticed?
You do understand the concept of bad publicity?

So, it turns out that the HO had regional migrant removal targets, and this after Amber Rudd saying to Parliament that they didn’t.

This from the BBC, though the story appears to across most of the media:

That might go some way to explain why the HO were indifferent to those Windrush migrants who were having difficulty proving their citizenship.

Earlier in this thread I said that Amber Rudd had taken sufficient and prompt enough action to keep her job, however I think she’s on very thin ice now.

After all, it’s perfectly acceptable to mislead the public, but whatever you do, don’t get caught misleading Parliament.

This news (interesting timing for its release, don’t you think?) suggests that she’s either lied to Parliament, or is ignorant of her departments policies and processes.

Either one doesn’t make her look good.
I said it before and I'll say it again, Amber Rudd is toast...