Windrush Scandal

So as best I can work out

Windrush Migrants get lucky with reduced fares on troopship to fill ship up and arrive in Britain.

Labour Government don't know what to do so let them in deciding they won't last past winter and want to go home.
Conservative Government change law in 1962 to make it harder to come in
Labour Government change immigration act again in 1968 to reduce Commonwealth citizens rights even more, Conservative Government change law in 1971 again to prepare for entering Common Market in order to allow Europeans more access to UK.
Labour Minister Alan Johnson uses phrase hostile environment for illegal immigrants
Conservative and Liberal Governments carry on with policy

It's all Theresa May's fault the heartless old witch, Labour had nothing to do with it

Pretty much, but don’t forget the 1983 act that made white BOT citizens proper British again.

He has a point.

There is no automatic naturalisation process for anyone not born a UK citizen, and there never has been. If there had been no clusterfnuck over Windrush or not even a word spoken about it, all of those people would still be technically non-British.

Anyone who wishes to become British has to apply for naturalisation, no matter how long they have lived in the country legally or illegally. This application takes time, effort and money.*

The Windrush group just happen to be a single batch of people who came here in an unregulated immigration process in the 1940-70s. The current "scandal" does not just apply to them - over the years you will have seen regular tales in the media about Mr or Mrs X who faces deportation despite having lived in UK for decades.

The Windrush scandal may well prove to have been a deliberate political torpedo fired at the Tories, but the reality is that it is simply a symptom of the truly shambolic and politically distorted immigration regime that has existed in UK since the initial 1971 Act. Currently there are probably millions residing in UK with no legally determined nationality status.

*If the government is going to start handing out free entry and compo to people who havent bothered to legally naturalise, then I'd quite like a refund of the £thousands in direct and indirect costs it took me to have my own wife naturalised!
Well the cut off date for compensation is being set as anyone who camehere before 1973, so Mrs Meerkatz will be in the claim queue, and we have HMG banged to rights as they actually tried to deport her.

... and now they won't even have to pay application fee for naturalisation.
but hey, let come here, don't bother sorting out your status, than cry laudly and you won't even have to pay a penny.

Or how about,

Respond to job adverts at British consulate

Get job and ticket to the UK

Sail to UK with the right of abode as a British Subject

On the quiet, HMG removes your right of abode but doesn’t tell you.

Apply for new passport

Get deportation order.

HMG were aware of all this in 2000 when Mrs Meerkatz had a CS husband who knew the right buttons to press to get things done, and they made her a British Citizen FoC

They KNEW about this for decades, and were simply hoping old age would make the problem go away..... and then changes in 2014 blew it up in their faces.

It was a f**k up with the 1983 Nationality Act, wife was caught out by it as she came here as a British Subject and that status was removed by the Act. When she applied for a UK passport in 2000, she was served with a deportation notice - cnuts.
Fortunately she had my citizenship and RoA to fall back on so they dropped that silly idea and quietly gave her a UK passport and citizenship.

All the WIndrush generation would have been 'Subjects' and the kids cant inherit their parents nationality if they were subjects.

So yes, they have known about it for a very long time. but funnily, they had no problem quietly giving all Falkland Islanders full British status when it was pointed out we'd fought a war for what had become not properly British people.
I can fill in a little more detail here.

This does date back to Maggie Thatchers Nationality Act.

My family have served in the Army for well over 100 years, as a result my Grandfather, Father & Sister were all born during overseas postings. 35 odd years ago when my sister tried to renew her (British) passport the application was rejected and we had a huge task which involved tracing back to my Great-Great-Grandfather to prove that she was entitled to stay here and not be deported to a former colonial outpost she hadn't been to since she was a baby.

Our government couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. They sent the army to the four corners of the globe then act surprised when they had children during postings. Did they not wonder why British Military Hospitals in the colonies had maternity wards??

Our government couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. They sent the army to the four corners of the globe then act surprised when they had children during postings. Did they not wonder why British Military Hospitals in the colonies had maternity wards??
Why should they? It's long been the responsibility of the soldier-father to register the birth via the admin-chain, and obtain a UK birth certificate.

Why should they? It's long been the responsibility of the soldier-father to register the birth via the admin-chain, and obtain a UK birth certificate.
The birth was correctly registered, otherwise how could my sister have obtained a British passport in the first place? It was after the rules were changed by the nationality act that when she applied to renew the passport they said "you weren't born here, clear off".

We sorted it out eventually but the bovine pen-pushers in Whitehall couldn't start a fire in a match factory.

I can fill in a little more detail here.

This does date back to Maggie Thatchers Nationality Act.

My family have served in the Army for well over 100 years, as a result my Grandfather, Father & Sister were all born during overseas postings. 35 odd years ago when my sister tried to renew her (British) passport the application was rejected and we had a huge task which involved tracing back to my Great-Great-Grandfather to prove that she was entitled to stay here and not be deported to a former colonial outpost she hadn't been to since she was a baby.

My own view is that the various Acts were designed and fully intended to prevent (white, former native British) expats and their kin from returning to UK from the various colonies and dependencies - given that most of those new national entities were quite likely to go tits up.

This restriction thus also swept up all those expats who were actually on government duty - servicemen, CS, civilian aid project staff, etc - and their foreign-born children.

Fast forward to the 90s, and you got the bizarre situation of these restrictive nationality acts still being fully applied to their original British kith-and-kin targets, yet the government taking the doors off the hinges for unrestricted immigration from foreign population groups with no demographic or geographic connections to Britain.

This mess has now been further set in stone by the forces of progressive PC politics to the extent that there is apparently overt discrimination against the immigration needs of white native British (e.g. bringing a foreign spouse into UK) in favour of fast-tracking through large volumes of non-native immigrants.

This is what my Dad did whilst serving in the Ghurka Rifles, then part of the British Indian Army. My brother, myself and my sister were all born in India during or just after WW2. My parents had enough savvy to register with my Dads battalion admin, (My Dad was the Adjutant of the 2nd Battalion, 7th Ghurka Rifltes as an Acting Capain at the time). So no problems, I have held a UK Passport since 1961, and had a current one when serving in the R. Sigs during the 1960s and 1970s.

All Military births registered overseas with the UK Military Authorities automatically were eventually registered with Somerset House back in London after the war years when records could be updated.

My brother's wife, who was born in Ghana of white parents in the 1950s had problems when she applied for her first UK Passport when my brother and she were going on holiday in the States. The Passport Office in Peterborough became awkward over this. My brother was a sernior scientific officer with the Deparrtment of Trade & Industry back then, and had a real go at the Jobsworths in the Passport Office - a week later, his wife got her new passport, and they went off on the holiday they had planned for some time -- all sorted.

Last edited:
My own view is that the various Acts were designed and fully intended to prevent (white, former native British) expats and their kin from returning to UK from the various colonies and dependencies - given that most of those new national entities were quite likely to go tits up.

This restriction thus also swept up all those expats who were actually on government duty - servicemen, CS, civilian aid project staff, etc - and their foreign-born children.

Fast forward to the 90s, and you got the bizarre situation of these restrictive nationality acts still being fully applied to their original British kith-and-kin targets, yet the government taking the doors off the hinges for unrestricted immigration from foreign population groups with no demographic or geographic connections to Britain.

This mess has now been further set in stone by the forces of progressive PC politics to the extent that there is apparently overt discrimination against the immigration needs of white native British (e.g. bringing a foreign spouse into UK) in favour of fast-tracking through large volumes of non-native immigrants.

There ya go. The 1883 Act, the one that was a big trigger, was a quick rush job when we started talking to the Chinese about handing Hong Kong back and no one wanted 6 million slanty eyed British Subjects decamping to the UK so they abolished the status of 'British Subject' to keep them put.

Whats that? We had hundreds of thousands of overseas British Subjects already in the UK and this act made them effectively Stateless?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So as best I can work out

Windrush Migrants get lucky with reduced fares on troopship to fill ship up and arrive in Britain.

Labour Government don't know what to do so let them in deciding they won't last past winter and want to go home.
Conservative Government change law in 1962 to make it harder to come in
Labour Government change immigration act again in 1968 to reduce Commonwealth citizens rights even more, Conservative Government change law in 1971 again to prepare for entering Common Market in order to allow Europeans more access to UK.
Labour Minister Alan Johnson uses phrase hostile environment for illegal immigrants
Conservative and Liberal Governments carry on with policy

It's all Theresa May's fault the heartless old witch, Labour had nothing to do with it
The Hostile Environment Policy was the creation of the Home Office and Theresa May trying to enact Cameron's plucked from the air immigration limits. Not Alan Johnson

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

No the changes in Nationality Law in the UK, were never to do with preventing white Britons coming home at all. If you look at the timings they all came about in response to various post imperial migration issues. The Kenyan Asians, then the Ugandan Asians, then the Hong Kong Chinese.

On the Television some commentators and MP`s where alluding to "Windrush Generation" includes anyone coming to the UK from a Commonwealth country between the end of WW2 and 1970

Archie

Might be a reaction to this:

Home Secretary set a cut off date of 1973. Many Caribbean countries still had not been granted independence at that stage: Grenada (1974), Dominica (1978), St. Lucia (1979), St. Vincent (1979), Antigua & Barbuda (1981), St. Kitts & Nevis (1983). What about them? #Windrush

Might be a reaction to this:

Home Secretary set a cut off date of 1973. Many Caribbean countries still had not been granted independence at that stage: Grenada (1974), Dominica (1978), St. Lucia (1979), St. Vincent (1979), Antigua & Barbuda (1981), St. Kitts & Nevis (1983). What about them? #Windrush
Sorry,the word 'Bandwagon' springs to mind.

What I cannot understand is

1. When these new immigration laws are drafted, this anomaly was not identified.

2. Like wise when Parliament voted on the new immigration laws, what in hell did they spend their time waffling about

3. If the likes of Abbott and Lammy are descendants of Windrush why do they not have problems with getting a passport - what have they done that the others could not have

Archie
Abbot stood up and identified this situation specifically in HoP when the bill was being debated

Abbot stood up and identified this situation specifically in HoP when the bill was being debated
And, I expect everyone chose to ignore her because of her attitude to "Old White Englishmen"!

She has cried Wolf so many times that when, she actually comes up with a valid argument, nobody takes any notice.

And, I expect everyone chose to ignore her because of her attitude to "Old White Englishmen"!

She has cried Wolf so many times that when, she actually comes up with a valid argument, nobody takes any notice.
Really? Float a few examples of her crying wolf for me.

She could shit golden ingots and you’d still drip about her:mrgreen: