Windows XP update

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Litotes, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The most recent Windows update appears to be stuck on my machine at about 37% - and then it vanishes, only to reappear the next day.

I'm on dialup.

Is anyone else experiencing problems?

2. buy/steal vista ya stingy git.
  3. I have the latest update on mine, downloaded and waiting to be installed. I'm on broadband.
  4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I have had the occasional "sticky" one [running 2Mb broadband to XP Pro] but nothing causing problems lately.

Apart from your dial-up limitation, could it have been clogging at the MS end of the equation? When the whole world tries to download at the same time? I don't know how these things work ... I just click and pray ;-)
  5. Dont get Vista, stay on xp for a bit longer till they get all the probs sorted in Vista.

The PC companies are moving some of there machines back to XP now that says something.
  6. Turn off automatic updates - visit windows update - chose custom - and see what updates are available. One of them in the list will be the update thats not downloading properly. If you can work out which one it is, and you dont need it, you can stop update offering it to you again.

Some of the updates can be huge and must be costing you considering your on dial up. Might be worthwhile updating manually and being selective about what you update anyway. You probably dont need to be paying for a phone call to install something like .net framework V3 at 30meg a go!!
  7. Thanks for the advice, Guys. I have monitored it and I think it is just a large update file which is taking its time to download - due to my 45kb/sec link and congestion at the far end.

Dialup costs me 0.5p/min which is the lowest I can find but the latency is awful which is why you don't find me in Chat! or on Second Life!

Vista? No thanks. I don't have the time to manage the problems. I will wait for the Mk 2 version or later!

8. I know at least 7 people who have had to take their computers back with problems with Vista. There also finding that stuff they already have isnt compatiable with vista. Staying putt with XP until everythings sorted. :pc:
  9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

My IT manager [aka nephew] says the same. He's got Vista, and is suffering ...

Borrocks to Gates and Vista until they have sorted all the complaints they will be getting.
  10. :? Get an intel Mac and you have the best....OSX and if you need it the other :D
  11. Vista's shiite. Try Ubuntu it's free :D and if you want to outclass vista's visual effects install Beryl (have a look on youtube for Beryl vids...)
    If you're lumped with dialup then consider using a pre-fetch service like onspeed.
    It's one of the few 'speed-up-your-internet' programs that actually works because
    it's a network not just a local application. :wink:
    They do a free demo, at least they used to...
  12. Sorry Im thick as sh*t, can you say again after good morning.....over
  13. Oops, I'll drop my baud rate and try again:
    Onspeed: is a service which speeds up your connection by doing all the leg work for you: eg you want for example (hypothetically speaking of course :wink: ) Your computer send this request to the onspeed network of superfast servers which download the page for you then compress it and send it on to you in a fraction of the time it would normally take.
    If you use the net through your mobile like me then this can result in very agreeable speeds :D
    It's a lossy compression so image quality can take a kicking but for something like windows update on dial-up it's an ideal solution.