Windows XP Recovery

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Yeo_Man, Oct 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have fucked up a mates laptop, using Easy Cleaner last night. The machine is basket case, but need to make it stable to backup the harddrive.

I'm guessing it has wiped something in the registry, Its an old machine running XP.

Currently on switch on it hits bios and and does not boot, the mate has no recovery CD's and the XP key is on the back of the lapop.

Is my best course of action to generate an XP boot CD, if so where do I down load?

Any suggestions or advise most welcome.

YM

2. Depending what has become corrupt..
    Have you thought of putting the hard drive into a second machine and reading it as a second hard drive?

Worked for me - managed to copy all the files

obviously for me it was only the boot-up that was corrupt

Just a though until someone with better knowledge comes along

3. Wilie

Thanks, but hoping to just get it to boot and repair windows for now.

YM

4. can you access the bios?

can you start the machine in safe mode?

microsoft website, you need a blank disc (obviously) i've never done it myself though, always had a disc.

re formatting isn't a bad thing unless he has stuff he needs on it. If thats the case, do as suggested, rig it up to another pc, copy said files and then re format. I try to do this every 6 months or so, to keep the machine running smoothly.

5. Doesn't XP have the back up on the second part of the partitioned Hard Disk?

6. Hi Smithers

I can access bios, but thats as far as it goes, will a XP boot cd get me in?

YM

7. My mistake, i got confused.

You need to start it in safe mode, hold F8 as the thing is booting (thats the default key anyway, or it could be ctrl)

this way you can at least access the hard drive, try a system restore to get you started. Just to the last known date the pc worked.

as for the format disk, you loose everything on the pc...everything. But get it back as it came out the factory.

edited for being a mong

just to clarify, F8 while booting up should bring up a boot menu.

"Windows advanced options" is the one you want

boot menu should appear again, with a command at the bottom called "safe mode", hit that and your in.

8. msr

msr LE

9. Smithers

Thank you, will try f8

MSR

Thanks, I had seen this during my googles, but looks a might complicated and I need the XP CD (not sure which service pack), also hoping it won't be that invoved...:-(

10. If you can't get past the bios screen then F8 isn't going to do anything.

If you have really screwed the OS boot then as above the easiest solution is to slave the HD to another PC and use that to get your data (or create something like a BART PE Ghost usb drive to boot from, which is good but not easy) and then rebuild the whole thing from scratch.

oh and don't **** around with registry hacks again.

11. Is there not boot options within the bios on winXP?

was going to suggest it if the f8 boot option didn't work

sry i don't have an xp machine to test it.

12. When you say it hit the BIOS, do you mean it runs the POST then hangs when trying to load Windows, or does it not even get that far? If you have just screwed the Windows registry, then you should get some sort of error message.

Have you looked through the Microsoft Knowledge base? here's one article which might help: How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

If all is well and truely buggered, but the PC can still boot from a CD, you can also ways try booting it from a linux live CD, such as Ubuntu. Then you can dump all the personal stuff onto a CD, DVD, USB stick or what have you.

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Depends on the vendor's policy. i.e. did they create a separate partition or save a few pence?

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

If you can get to the BIOS, select "Boot from USB" and move it to the top of the boot sequence.

Elsewhere, download a Ubuntu distro (free) to a USB stick. Insert stick into laptop and boot. It will boot from the USB stick and offer to install Ubuntu. Instead, take the option to run Ubuntu from the USB stick (something like "live CD mode" - it's been a long time). This will have you running Ubuntu on the laptop without touching your hard drive.

In Ubuntu, access dev1 (I think - it might be dev0) as a data area (it's the hard drive) and if the hard drive is accessible, your important data can be copied off safely to the USB stick - size of the USB stick will matter if you have a lot of data to save off - Ubuntu itself has a tiny footprint: operating system and a wodge of data space only need 1GB of memory stick - I carry one in my pocket on an 8GB memory stick. Then after a Windows recovery / format / whatever, you can copy the data back on.

Job's a good 'un.

15. Alloydog

I'm not getting errors messages, it just keeps trying to boot.

I would try the XP start up CD, but don't have one. I'm I will need to generate a boot CD as MSR suggested.

YM