Windows Updates error

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jul 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

The wench's laptop has been having spasms for a while now. A few months back it seemed to download a couple of Windows Updates that were corrupt, and it tries (and fails) to install them every time the laptop is shut down. I know you can remove updates from the system, but that requires that they installed in the first place and these obviously aren't. This means I can't delete them to allow them to download again.

Does anyone know a method for removing downloaded but not installed updates, or forcing Windows Update to re-download specific ones?

2. You can go to "add/remove programs" and tick "show updates" at the top of the screen, and see if they're there. Then remove them.

You can also go to the uninstall folder, and remove them from there.

There is also the uninstall location in the registry.

Google what you need to find depending on the OS you're using.

3. Or alternatively try one of these..........:thumright:

Attached Files:

4. How long do you reckon it will be before some prick will come on here suggesting you buy Apple??

Oh.....look......as if by magic.

• Like Like x 3
  5. go to the windows icon thing on the bottom left hand side,then all programs,accessories, system tools, system restore and it should let you go back to when it worked.
    Theoretically

6. Tsk. And only the second post too. Must do better. (Marks on examination booklet) :roll:

7. Which OS??

Under Vista. If they are installing and failing (unsuccessful) then you might have to switch off User Account Control under Control Panel. Do so from an Administrator's account.

Shut down and restart. Update should report that they have successfully installed.

Control Panel - and switch User Account Control on.

Famous last words...

Litotes

8. msr

msr LE

9. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Cheers MSR, that's the fix I need.

It was Windows 7, by the way. Forgot that bit... :-D

10. msr

msr LE

11. msr

msr LE

Trouble is, you are addressing the symptoms and not the cause. See post #8 for the solution ;)

12. That worked for me, I had the same problem after a update.