Windows update issues

I have the same issue - trying to update from 1709 to 1803 getting error Error 0xc1900204 - trouble with the manual update you suggested there is you don't get the option to keep all your files, etc. so everything gets wiped.
Was Microsoft even going in 1709 AD?

Auld-Yin - there's some drivel being posted here - Mr Bane is giving you the correct advice whichever version of
windows you're using. Go to updates in control panel & select each update in turn and do them one at a time.
Windows often screw up and one update conflicts with another and until they realise and issue a fresh update
you see these errors. If it throws up an error code at any stage Google that and on the microsoft website they
usually give a solution.

Rename this TXT file to a BAT extension, and run as admin. Restart the PC when finished. Retry Windows Update when done.
This.

I'd have a bash at this first mind...
  1. On your keyboard, press Windows Key+S.
  2. Type “command prompt” (no quotes).
  3. Right-click Command Prompt from the results, then select Run as Administrator.
  4. Once Command Prompt is up, type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), then press Enter.

If you are using Win7 then there was / is a bug in the updater itself.
This used to manifest itself as the cpu running at 50% but no updates happening.
Solution was to download latest windows updater.

Mr Bane is right, but you still might need to update the updater.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
What do you mean?

You're using an update executable which should just apply the update. It shouldn't be doing anything to your files, etc?
Windows 10 update assistant "your files will be right where you left them"
Capture1.JPG

First two options greyed out, can't select
Capture2.JPG

My laptop is currently having a fight with Windows, and losing. Windows keeps trying to update but never completed meaning I am constantly getting update messages so I can't use the lappie.

Any suggestions for a solution? I don't want the smug "use XYZ system" which needs a PhD in rocket science to understand, I would like to get a Windows solution, if there is one!
Dunno why, but this pic just sprung to mind...

1544116636556.png

A job for forum IT bloke, @dogmeat

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Windows 10 update assistant "your files will be right where you left them"
View attachment 365494

First two options greyed out, can't select
View attachment 365496
Ah. That's not a manual update.

There are actual individual files you can download, and you run and it installs the update. That's Windows Assistant which is basically the automatic updater but in standalone format.

I can't help more as on phone at work, but dig around for the manual files.

Also, make sure you're not downloading an old update you've already applied.

And XP for EPOS etc is still being updated. Registry hack for regular XP will see it get those updates too.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001
There are still some kids entertainment sit-in cabinet style rides that run on Windows XP Professional still. It hasn't gone away you know.

If you are using Win7 then there was / is a bug in the updater itself.
This used to manifest itself as the cpu running at 50% but no updates happening.
Solution was to download latest windows updater.

Mr Bane is right, but you still might need to update the updater.
For many, the Windows 7 update became so slow it was unusable. All night updates, or even longer, were common. There were two fixes (KB3020369 and KB3172605), which needed to be downloaded and then applied in that sequence in order to sort the problem.

Jolly good.
Thought I'd give you the opportunity to be helpful.
My bad.
Don't think we don't all appreciate the effort that must have gone into you doing nothing helpful yourself.

But do continue to keep me updated on any other little jobs you think I should be doing.

And I'll continue to recommend you to anyone needing cheap insurance.

Deal?

Don't think we don't all appreciate the effort that must have gone into you doing nothing helpful yourself.

But do continue to keep me updated on any other little jobs you think I should be doing.

And I'll continue to recommend you to anyone needing cheap insurance.

Deal?
#triggered