Windows update issues

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My laptop is currently having a fight with Windows, and losing. Windows keeps trying to update but never completed meaning I am constantly getting update messages so I can't use the lappie.

Any suggestions for a solution? I don't want the smug "use XYZ system" which needs a PhD in rocket science to understand, I would like to get a Windows solution, if there is one!

You could try starting Windows in Safe Mode. Windows will only load the essentials (including networking) needed to get itself running. This very basic instance of Windows may then handle a the update.

Lots of reading here...

Which release of Windows are you running? Can you switch auto-update off? And the manage the 'when' manually?

Note.. Windows 10, contrary to popular belief has a limited support life cycle...

After the latest update, it should be reporting itself as version 1809. (Click start button, type 'Winver' and hit the return key). Any version numbered 1703 or lower is officially out of support and perhaps won't cope with the 1809 update.

Last edited:
Are there any error messages?, if so put it into google and see what comes up.

Since you dont want a "smug" answer with a solution in it, thats the best i can do

Try going back a restore point and load that windows, hopefully the update won't be in that version.
Then switch off auto install on windows and manage any updates yourself.

You could have a look at a Mac next time round. Not being smug because they do cost more, but it is the BMW argument - "they dam things just work".

Nowadays the difference on the screen is not great (or just different enough to irritate) and macs do have the great feature of allowing you to tell them to update "later" with only a mild nag. Also Apple try to minimise the differences between updates so you have a very small learning curve after every major update (I still struggle with "ribbons" in Ms Office)

I use Ms Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) on my mac so the software will be familiar (I got brainwashed at an early age) and have not had a virus problem since 1986 (yes tempting fate and I know that mac users are dangerously complacent and susceptible to phishing).

Also, there are some great "silver surfer" self help groups - I use the YMUG (Yorkshire Mac User Group) The finest Mac User Group in the UK and we're in Yorkshire. A lot of people are using kit that is seven or eight years old without any major problems.

My sons are IT professionals who use Windows and I am always dismayed by the amount of time they spend cleaning, disinfecting and re-installing. To coin a phrase, I can't be arsed to spend that much time "under the hood".

My laptop is currently having a fight with Windows, and losing. Windows keeps trying to update but never completed meaning I am constantly getting update messages so I can't use the lappie.

Any suggestions for a solution? I don't want the smug "use XYZ system" which needs a PhD in rocket science to understand, I would like to get a Windows solution, if there is one!
Do you have another computer you can use to download something? Download the windows 10 ISO to a USB stick and run setup from that, it should repair the upgraded install. You may need to make a bootable stick, it's easy using the Windows tool or Rufus.

There have been some problems with windows 10 update / upgrades recently. (above is assuming you are on 10)

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Manually download the updates and execute them yourself.

The Windows updater can be a bit of a spag at times. On the MS site you'll find each update available as a standalone download. Just look at the number update that keeps hanging, and download that.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Manually download the updates and execute them yourself.

The Windows updater can be a bit of a spag at times. On the MS site you'll find each update available as a standalone download. Just look at the number update that keeps hanging, and download that.
I have the same issue - trying to update from 1709 to 1803 getting error Error 0xc1900204 - trouble with the manual update you suggested there is you don't get the option to keep all your files, etc. so everything gets wiped.

Open settings [vie task bar]
double left click on "update & security"
left click "recovery "
reset this PC
left click "get started"

Last time I did this I didn't loose any documents , you can back your documents if
you're a bit worried about their lose

You could have a look at a Mac next time round. Not being smug because they do cost more, but it is the BMW argument - "they dam things just work".
Its a windows world, Sage is the most common accountancy software...

Software Compatible Operating System

Sage OneAny operating system that has an Internet browser
Sage 50cloud Accounts Windows only
Sage 50 Accounts Windows only
Sage 50cloud Accounts Essentials Windows only
Sage Instant Accounts / Sage 50 Accounts Essentials Windows only
Sage 50 Payroll Windows only
Sage Instant Payroll Windows only
Sage 50 Job Costing Windows only
Sage Quickpay Windows only
Sage MicropayWindows only
Sage 50 HRWindows only
Sage 50 ForecastingWindows only

your niche dumbed down premium priced computer for arty gaylords is not supported,

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Nowadays the difference on the screen is not great (or just different enough to irritate) and macs do have the great feature of allowing you to tell them to update "later" with only a mild nag. Also Apple try to minimise the differences between updates so you have a very small learning curve after every major update (I still struggle with "ribbons" in Ms Office)

I use Ms Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) on my mac so the software will be familiar (I got brainwashed at an early age) and have not had a virus problem since 1986 (yes tempting fate and I know that mac users are dangerously complacent and susceptible to phishing).

Also, there are some great "silver surfer" self help groups - I use the YMUG (Yorkshire Mac User Group) The finest Mac User Group in the UK and we're in Yorkshire. A lot of people are using kit that is seven or eight years old without any major problems.

My sons are IT professionals who use Windows and I am always dismayed by the amount of time they spend cleaning, disinfecting and re-installing. To coin a phrase, I can't be arsed to spend that much time "under the hood".
Then I dare say they're not very good at their job. On a pc I built 4 years ago I've had to reinstall once, when I upgraded the SSD boot drive. I spend perhaps five minutes a week running ccleaner and making sure avast and malwarebytes is up to date. That's it.

0A has a MacBook Pro Reina blah blah thing, and it regularly Kernel Panics when updating OSX. Come to think of it, the BMW she had was rubbish as well.

(My Clipping)
10 years 3 laptops and not an issue at all upgrading or using Windows. Having said that, as the go to guy when friends are having issues it's normally because they have switched OFF or auto updates or cancel them. So after a fix I always say updates are a fact of life so install them.

(ps: I did have a slight issue with the last update dropping my install key codes for MS Office which pissed me off, I think it's a subtle hint to purchase the latest version the - a-holes).

As for the OP have you tried a 'full' install and not just an update, a full install would repair your version then add the updates afterwards.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have the same issue - trying to update from 1709 to 1803 getting error Error 0xc1900204 - trouble with the manual update you suggested there is you don't get the option to keep all your files, etc. so everything gets wiped.
What do you mean?

You're using an update executable which should just apply the update. It shouldn't be doing anything to your files, etc?