Windows start Up on a notebook

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by pandaplodder, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend has got a notebook which gets stuck on the Windows XP start up screen, doesn't load/boot.

I have gone into safe mode and its starts up, even rolled it back to a safe start up point but it still won't boot..

I do know that her 9 year old kid was messing around with it over the weekend, its password protected so he can't get on it, obviously been pressing F keys, trying to be a smart arse.

Any ideas?
  2. Have you tried enabling boot logging? F8 on start-up and then boot it up in normal mode. Back in to safe-mode and check the ntbtlog.txt file. That may give you some clues?
  3. msr

msr LE

Is there any data of any value on it? If not, then a re-install is probably in order. If so, then it should be backed up.

Don't be hard on the kid, it may well be a rogue application which is causing this.

4. XP? So it's fairly old and not used for anything more intensive than the Internet and perhaps some Office?

Bin XP and stick Ubuntu on it. If that sounds too drastic, duel boot Ubuntu. Download and burn to disc from here or they will post a disc to you. Cost £0.00.
  5. Right.. your gonna have to tell me how to do that.

On start up all you get is the black Windows XP logo screen with the thingy showing its doing something.

You can't do anything when its in normal start up mode
  6. Its a notebook(not to old but one of the last to have XP loaded) mainly just internet and e-mails
  7. I did run chkdsk (never can get the F thingy to run though) nothing came up, think what has happened is a combination of key pressing and it being shut down incorrectly
  8. msr

msr LE

I doubt it. Has any new software been installed? Which antivirus are they using?

For boot logging see here:
  9. I stuck AVAST on it for antivirus, I know that has been working as it informs you it has been updated.

Not sure about new software, I did have to take a music file sharing thing off it which the teenage daughter loaded.

Thanks for the link
  10. Thanks for all the replies, I was slightly troubled as the dos screen options weren't the same as shown in most "how to" websites, however when in safe mode I discovered the notebook (which is an Acer) came supplied with system restore software, so went through that, bit of a pain as some photos were lost (luckily saved elsewhere though) and it took about 2 -3 hours to reset up e-mail/skype, passwords and so on
  11. Sounds to me like the kid had done some "hard resets" during boot thereby messing the boot inis etc...
    Restore or repair would fix this.