Windows NT 4 - Service Packs

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by passing_crab, Aug 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an old laptop (Pentium 1 233Mhz) with basic NT4 installed on it, and I am trying to locate the service packs to upgrade it (I think SP6a was the final version), so I can allow it to be used as a plaything!

Googling etc doesn't seem to give any sites where I can download them, I don't suppose anyone has any pointers for me?

Also, I'm not clear if I need to install all of the packs, or just (e.g.) SP6/6a - can anyone cast their memory back and advise?

Cheers

2. Jim,

Thanks for looking at this - but Microsoft seem to have pulled all NT 4 stuff off of their site - I am after the individual Service Pack files (usually .exe files) to upgrade my NT 4 Laptop to the most up-to-date patched version.

Jules

3. I thought MS had stopped supporting NT4?

On the magazine shelves at the moment is a Linux version of ComputerActive. I have just loaded that onto an old PC (with WinME) with the intention of turning it into a server. Linux offers a wide range of games and MS Office compatible programs. They seem to work OK for me.

Litotes

4. msr

msr LE

5. I'd recommend throwing it away!

6. Personally, I can't stand NT4, but given the age of the hardware, and it's already got software on it, I'm prepared to give it a go...

Thanks for the link to software patch - I have downloaded the SP6a, so let's see how it goes.

Give it a week, and I'll be putting LINUX on it... ;)