Windows Mobile Operating System

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by hairyhandbag, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all,

Have just found a pda within my clutter.
    It is loaded with windows mobile OS.
    My question is. Is this the best operating system for this type of hardware or is there an alternative I could load.
    Pretty open question just to see if i should stick with it or change
    cheers for any help

HH

2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Windows Mobile on old PDAs was utter, utter toss. It basically rendered my PDA useless within six months following regular crashes, memory overflows, etc. If you can bin it, do so and get a new version (they've made it a viable Smartphone OS now) or get Android on there. Not that this is automatically feasible - it could be hardware-dependant.

3. Will be interesting to see how this one pans out now that Microsoft are in bed with Nokia.

4. It might be worth taking a look at the X D A developers forum, they came up with a cracking port for the Touch Pro 2 which runs off the sd card using the Haret bootloader.. bit slow but pretty good. I would also trawl the various Linux sites, I'm sure there is a distro which runs on such hardware .. after all Android is essentially a Linux distro and porting to a pda means not having to sort out drivers for the mobile phone stuff etc.. Just a thought

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

For those who didn't know, MS put out a Windows mobile patch this week which rendered Samsungs into doorstops.