• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Windows Mobile Operating System

Morning all,

Have just found a pda within my clutter.
It is loaded with windows mobile OS.
My question is. Is this the best operating system for this type of hardware or is there an alternative I could load.
Pretty open question just to see if i should stick with it or change
cheers for any help

HH

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Windows Mobile on old PDAs was utter, utter toss. It basically rendered my PDA useless within six months following regular crashes, memory overflows, etc. If you can bin it, do so and get a new version (they've made it a viable Smartphone OS now) or get Android on there. Not that this is automatically feasible - it could be hardware-dependant.

It might be worth taking a look at the X D A developers forum, they came up with a cracking port for the Touch Pro 2 which runs off the sd card using the Haret bootloader.. bit slow but pretty good. I would also trawl the various Linux sites, I'm sure there is a distro which runs on such hardware .. after all Android is essentially a Linux distro and porting to a pda means not having to sort out drivers for the mobile phone stuff etc.. Just a thought

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It might be worth taking a look at the X D A developers forum, they came up with a cracking port for the Touch Pro 2 which runs off the sd card using the Haret bootloader.. bit slow but pretty good. I would also trawl the various Linux sites, I'm sure there is a distro which runs on such hardware .. after all Android is essentially a Linux distro and porting to a pda means not having to sort out drivers for the mobile phone stuff etc.. Just a thought
For those who didn't know, MS put out a Windows mobile patch this week which rendered Samsungs into doorstops.

Latest Threads