Windows media encoder

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by devilish, Jan 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Quick question for anyone one with some experience using WME.

    I tried to convert a clip from a movie (Ronin) which is a V.O.B file into WME and all seemed fine until I tried to play it only to find that only 2 seconds of the 7 minute clip had been encoded!
    I have tried to do this 3 times now with the same results, does anyone know why this happened and how to rectify it?

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Don't convert it as such: change the file extension from .vob to .mpa and try it then ;)
     
  3. Sorry mate but I'm a bit of a biff when it comes to 'puters! How would i go about that in a step by step desciption?
     

  4. Step by Step: This assumes that you can see the filename with extension if not I'll explain how to do this later

    1. Open windows explorer (Start, Accessories, Explorer)
    2. Navigate to the directory by clicking on
    'My Computer'
    'Dive' (Normally C:\)
    'Folder Name'
    3. Single right Click on file, a menu pops up and 2nd from the bottom is 'Rename', move highlight bar to this and left click
    4. delete the three characters after the full stop by using the left/right arrow keys to the end of the filename and pressing the 'backspace' key, then type mpa and then press enter.
    5, Once you've finished, double click on the file, It should auto-start WMPlayer andplay the file.

    Do not try this is it is on a CD/DVD as it will throw an error

    VOB files are normally associated with DVD players, you could try and use the one that came with the drive or download a freebee from www.download.com
    If this does not work them PM me and I'll give you more hints

    Hope this helps.

    JJ
     
  5. I only seem to have this "VTS_01_1" as a file name then underneath it is "VOB file" and under that is the file size.
     
  6. In the Windows Explorer window that the file is in:

    1 Click on Tools
    2 Click on Folder Options...
    3 Click on View
    4 In the bottom half of the box, you should see "Hide extensions for known file types"
    5 Uncheck the tick box next to it
    6 Click OK.

    You should then be able to change the file extension (last 3 letters). I would recommend that you then hide extensions once again, otherwise you run the risk of removing file associations when you rename a file.

    Feel free to PM if you need any more help.
     
  7. That worked a treat Tubbyboy thanks a lot. I had to copy the file into my harddrive before it would allow me to change it as it was writer protected but after i moved it it then seemed to work.

    Thanks again to all.