Windows 8

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Monty417, Nov 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Does anyone have experience of a Laptop or PC run by the new Windows 8 Operating System?

Is it any good, as I am considering buying one?
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

yep - takes some getting used to but its okay. you can try it for free on an older machine if you want and the upgrade price of 25 quid makes it worth doing for a genuine copy.

give it a few months and touchscreen laptops are in the pipeline to take advantage of it, acer and a few others are planning to compete with the slate thingy.

so you will get something considerably more usefull than an ipad.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks guys. I'll have a look at one in store at Currys.
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I'd stick with 7 if you're buying a non-touchscreen machine, be it laptop or desktop.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. I understand that 8 is much faster than 7 with longer battery life? Also you can switch whenever you want between interfaces and still use the 7 one if preferred. I am using 7 with i3 just now and it serves my purposes, but am interested in 8 if a big improvement.
  6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

from everything I've heard off the tech bods at the office, it's a phone OS shoehorned onto pc hardware. everyone's giving it the big e.
  7. Thanks for the info. I'll get tech advice before looking into it further. :)
  8. Grumblegrunt

download the consumer preview as its valid until january and try it as a dual boot option if you haven't got an old machine. the desktop version is a full blown windows not a phone OS. the interface is a little different to get around but not badly and the main complaint about no start button can be got around pretty easily with free software and you can bring back quick launch if you want it just like win7.

even the not called metro anymore start screen works quite well once used to it but it would be better with a touch screen plenty of free apps to try and you can put your favourite progs on there as well.

like win7 you can run it on an old p4 laptop with a gb of ram quite well as its been designed to upgrade older hardware and software, autoroute 2010 stopped working on win7 sp1 but its quite happy on this one.

its a bit quicker than win7 and so far I've hit no real issues in the 6 months I've had it running. this is being typed on a 2007 laptop running win8 pro 64bit and its fine.

for 25 quid to go genuine when I've been running cracked win7 due to being sold the crap that was vista and I'll probably be updating the house machines as I go along. the fact that you can upgrade any windows license without question and save 85 quid is a good incentive to get more folks to go legit.

the only oddity I guess you would call it is the inbuilt antivirus, MS have built security essentials into defender and I haven't needed anything else beyond the usual adblockers and anti malware which installs in the browsers now anyway.

most people who want a new machine don't actually need one they just need their software sorting out - in short try it :)
  9. Just thought it might also be worth mentioning :

Add features - Microsoft Windows

If you request it here (do it a few times to diff email addresses, the more codes the better!) you will get the media center feature added for free, although its shite and only the same one as in W7 shoehorned into W8, its still a free feature if you sign up now! :)

Also +1 for trying the preview, the only reason I have W8 is due to my MSDN account, otherwise its not worth the money unless you have a touchscreen device, everything has moved and is all aimed at sweaty little fingers.
  10. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Our Padre's just installed Win8 on his laptop and it won't boot off the hardrive nor off the D drive after inserting a boot disk. It says "It says "Automatic Repair Cannot Fix Your PC" I have tried everything, from a full reset to a USB stick with repair files from my laptop"... bless him, he's been onto Microsoft for two hours and his language is becoming rather unbecoming of a regimental Padre! Any clues greatfully accepted.
  11. Dunno if this is a clue, but I do remember one laptop of mine refusing to work when I installed Windows XP Professional on it (completely legit version, original CD-ROM). It was perfectly happy with the home edition of XP (or whatever the official name is) that was supplied with it and I have since installed W7 with no hassles, but it refused to boot after I installed XP Pro -- gave it indigestion.

Could be that your dog-collared friend has an analogous problem, just for "XP Pro" read "Windows 8."
    Not the answer you or he wants, but the only solution may be to reinstall the OS that came with the laptop. And it just might be that if you do that, a second attempt to install W8 will succeed. Equally, it might not. My machine was an Acer Aspire, FWIW.
  12. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I should have read this first before i did my posting .
    so if you got touch screen go for it , yes ?
  13. I am using it on a laptop and find it runs better then 7 and I actually prefer it to 7 now. There are few things that are a bit annoying, but then I am used to XP. You don't need a touch screen (I don't) and you can get a classic start menu to navigate around (as suggested by an arrse member to me).
  14. Grumblegrunt

I had one do a reboot cycle after I updated the files in my setup partition overwriting the boot information - put a disk in and automatic recovery said it couldn't fix it, it did however ask me if I wanted to boot to any of the operating systems on the drive which I did and its been fine since.

there is also a repair option when you run a setup.

just a thought but has he checked the bios is being told to boot off the hard drive?
  15. In November, downloaded 2 copies for each of my laptops. Takes about 30s to boot. Can't fault the installation or the price. Also, Windows 8 is transferrable if you upgrade laptops. Have media player as well but never use it.