• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Windows 8 is a turkey - it's official

Microsoft prepares U-turn on Windows 8 - FT.com

A bit more than a service pack, I think.

At least Microsoft are consistent with their business model i.e. every alternate Windows OS should be rubbish.

W95 - Poor
W98SE - OK
Millennium - Poor
XP - Good
Vista - Poor
W7 - OK
W8 - Poor

Perhaps they could break the mould if they did the unthinkable andstarted listening to their customers instead of foisting unwanted features and bloatware on them and abandoning the features that are popular.

Its the law everyother Microsoft os has to be dog toffee.
thing is I,m not really sure windows 7 does anything really better than XP its an operating system.
Much like office 2000 does what 90% of users need doing in day to day office work anyway.

Windows 7 is more than ok, it's excellent in home, gaming and office use.
The reason I gave it a an 'OK' rather than a 'good' is because it is not very tweakable. Its 'Admin rights' setup is also over-complicated and quirky. I'm using it now and this A.M. it started firing up a virtual memory warning on bootup. (It was set to Windows management and always had been. I have had to configure the pagefile settings manually.)

My windows are old and draughty, but I need them as bait for passing double glazing salesmen, protein doesn't grow on trees after all (nuts and avocados excluded)!

I really liked Win98, was dragged kicking and screaming into XP, which was fine, and then into Win7, which is 64 bit so alot of my older programs refuse to run on it.

I spent a couple of months researching Win 8, tweaking it and appraising it for a proposal for software deployment at the company I contract for.

It's performance gain over Win 7 is negligible. Time taken to retrain staff would be expensive and it is not really suited to office use.

It's a lemon, and until touch screens are more widely available it will remain a lemon.

I really liked Win98, was dragged kicking and screaming into XP, which was fine, and then into Win7, which is 64 bit so alot of my older programs refuse to run on it.
I think that it's the OS rather than the 64 bit. Most 32 bit software will run on 64 bit. It even gets installed in its own folder. If it will not work you could try running it under a different compatibility setting.

I liked Windows 98SE but it was never quite there with USB total support.

I spent a couple of months researching Win 8, tweaking it and appraising it for a proposal for software deployment at the company I contract for.

It's performance gain over Win 7 is negligible. Time taken to retrain staff would be expensive and it is not really suited to office use.

It's a lemon, and until touch screens are more widely available it will remain a lemon.
Microsoft would not row for shore in such a public way unless they had come to the same conclusion. It is the sort of thing that could get the CEO's arse handed to him.

I think that Windows 8 shows all the signs of an OS that has been released as a desperate response to something else (iPad) when it does not really share the same consumer area.

When I first upgraded from 7 to 8 I thought I'd bought the tablet version instead and was a bit miffed at just how unfriendly and inconvenient it was to operate from a desktop or laptop. Eventually got used to it but having followed MSR's recommendation from another thread and got a start button plugin it's become a really easy to use, quick, intuitive OS.

Microsoft would not row for shore in such a public way unless they had come to the same conclusion. It is the sort of thing that could get the CEO's arse handed to him.

I think that Windows 8 shows all the signs of an OS that has been released as a desperate response to something else (iPad) when it does not really share the same consumer area.
It does seem like a kneejerk OS. PC owners don't like being controlled as much as Apple users.

Why did anybody think that pratting about with Windows for PC to make it look like tablet touchscreen but with none of the functionality or advantages was a good idea?

Windows 7 works well enough, in terms of getting back to the kind of operating speed offered by XP....

Only thing that saved Microsoft from a total hammering during the Vista years was that processor speed was ramping up fast and price of memory dropped. Try running Vista on a single or older dual core crappy spec machine and pulling your own teeth out seems the more attractive option

I think Windows 8 is a really good multi-purpose operating system - it just needs that ability to be switched to desktop format.

Now that i have installed the Start8 gizmo, I find the OS fast and efficient for desktop work.

Latest Threads