WINDOWS 7000 (Beta) - Arrse problem!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Daytona955, Jan 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I couldn't find the 'geek' thread!!

Is anyone else using the beta version of Windows 7 (7000 build)? I downloaded it the other day on top of Vista and it seems to work fine - funnily enough the only problem I have encountered is loading Arrse - the front page goes all funny with the last 10 posts etc loading on the left below what should be there.

Overall it is very stable, much less hassle than Vista and, if you have a touch screen you can throw your mouse away. I've been touching mine (screen that is) all day but the old Dell Inspiron just doesnt seem to be up to it.

If anyone wants to try it, download it free from Micrisoft at:

Only free until August then you have to buy it or revert back to your old windows.
  2. Sussed the problem on the home page - it was not Windows 7 it was the Explorer 8 - pressed the 'compatability mode' button for 'older' websites and it works again!!!

In which case, Windows 7 is running fine.
  3. Windows 7 is Vista with more glass. That said it does seem quite nippier =]

I like how it groups all the windows in the taskbar and when you hover over them, it shows a preview of not one, but all the window.

However, an ANNOYING bug is when they're not grouped, yet the preview shows all of them anyway.

Still, KDE 4.2 on Fedora will blow it away =]

IE8 is rubbish. I'd rather gargle diarrhea than use that piece of shite every day.
  4. I've been using the new version of Internet Explorer on my home machine and it doesn't get on well with ARRSE, but I didn't know about the 'compatability mode' (thanks!) so I'll try that later myself. I like it, but I'm emigrating to Linux anyway.

I like that word 'emigrating'...
  5. compatibility button is directly at the end of the address bar
  6. I don't intend to try Windows 7 until most of the bugs are worked out. For now I'll stick with Windows XP.

I agree with the comment about IE8. I downloaded the beta version and it doesn't have any significant improvements over IE7 that I can see plus it seems to be slower and crashes regularly. I use my Firefox 3.0.5 browser instead for most jobs I want to do on the internet. Very fast and stable and hasn't crashed yet.
  7. I have very similar feelings toward this new fangled PFT that I have not had time to attempt yet. Unfortunately I totally missed out on the BCFT phase you all went through after my last BFT pass. I'll wait out until we get a sensible test of fitness that one can pass easily after a night on the pis, a couple of greasy Turkish pizzas and 3 packs of Marlboro Lights.