Windows 7

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by wolverine9314, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow Arrsers, in 08 I was able to get hold of a £17 copy (legit) of Office 2007 for personal use, due to being a user or MOD IT systems. Does anyone know of a similar scheme for Windows 7?

Thank you in advance.
  2. CTX (Charity Technology Exchange) will be knocking it out soon enough for £11-£17 if Vista prices are to be repeated.

you need to be a charity to benefit - so SCC units, Scouts etc - Laughing.
  3. A number of programs were available using the original link although I don't recall seeing any operating systems.

Wait a couple of weeks after W7 goes live and try the link again. However, as the chances of the MOD adopting W7 is close to zero, I don't think that Microsoft will see any benefit from offering W7 to us at a discount.

Having written that, I wonder if the MOD will move to W7 in due course...? It might have to if Microsoft removes the support for XP, as it will in due course.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Office/Project/Visio license extensions to company employees are a standard MS contract option I have seen several times (and taken advantage of) - never seen it applied to their OS contracts except as part of home/teleworking contracts.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Could be a while, just rolled out a mobile solution using XP on new hardware with 4 year support.
  6. XP is already out of "mainstream support" - since 14th Apr. Security patches die in 2014.

At least, that's the theory ...
  7. I wouldn't have used anything else either!

I found this:

Microsoft's timeline for XP

So, XP Professional will no longer be supported after 2014. That doesn't mean, of course, that the MOD will have to upgrade at that time. It could keep XP going for a long time after that.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Got a 4 year support contract on my desk running from May 20th this year.....out of mainstream support usually just means they will charge more for extensions to existing support contracts.
    As far as I know all netbooks are still shipping with XP too?
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I'm a bit puzzled why anyone would want something as brand new as W7, seeing that all Windows releases seem to be followed over the next two or three years by a long line of security fixes to fix trapdoors and other bugs that were shipped initially in the original product. How Msoft gets away with this slapdash approach to quality is something of a puzzle.
  10. However - news reports from within the industry, is that they have spent a lot of time releasing code to hardware vendors and helping them write drivers before W7 was released.

this is evident with HP and Dell websites driver offerings long before W7 came to life.

Also - been using the Beta and its nice, fast and stable.

11. I can name four MOD systems that have already tested 7 and have migration plans in place to move to 7 within the next 12 months. All are in house systems and CESG seem happy to date with the test results so far. As far as I'm aware DII will only move to 7 IF the contract is renewed in 2013 and as part of a refresh cycle.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

.....and people wonder why UK gov IT projects have a bad rep.....nobody goes to a new OS within its first year (if they have choice). SP1 miniumum.
  13. Sorry, I should have written "DII/F" but the medication hasn't yet kicked in...

I am surprised that projects are considering moving to W7 within such a short timeframe. My experience of hardware and software management would not lead me anywhere near W7 for an official project for some time - at least until the first Service Pack had been released. I will probably try it on my laptop as I am fed up with Vista but that is not the same as trying to bring a new OS into service.

14. Alsacien

Normally I'd agree with you but 7 has produced far better results than anyone expected and has proved far more stable than expected. Several industry partners are already in the process of migrating and the results so far are very good. As I said it will be within the next 12 months and only after final approvals are in place, but from our point of view we've only found very minor bugs so far and is proving popular with the staff who have been part of the pilot.
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'd agree first impressions are stable, but the potential cost of sorting problems and installing SP's are not worth the risk.
    Don't forget any new MS OS is always a feature base for the follow on SW upgrades to their mainstream software......
    As Vista is still not stable enough (and now never will be), reasons to be cautious outweigh optimism :wink: