Windows 7 Beta Released

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Interceptor, Jan 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone bothered to have a look at this? I ran XP for 6 years until last year, skipped Vista and bought a MacBook. I'd be interested to hear whether Windows 7 is considered in a better light than Vista.

Anyone tried it yet?
  2. I have a funny feeling about this OS, me personally i love my vista ultimate edition, many people whine about vista when really they need to buy more RAM thats all.
  3. If I had any more HDD space then I'd install it properly and happily use the beta every day instead of Vista. It ran great on a virtual machine (Virtualbox) with 512mb of RAM, 32mb of Graphic card memory and a 2.4ghz cpu. I had some problems with IE8 and i thought the taskbar was a bit crap, but im sure they'll be fixed before Windows 7 is released.
  4. well im running vista ultimate off of:

2.95 GHz dual core AMD x64
    4GB RAM
    2 x 350GB HDD's
    XFX 9600GT 512mb graphics

runs smooth as a baby's arrse
  5. Even xp with a number of viruses would run as "smooth as a babies arse".

You are the sales expert for microsoft "dodgy deals" car sales monthly salesman.

You could run a number of 64 bit operating systems and 32 bit systems with 4gb of ram.

Hope to god you have nothing to do with dead squaddies to win ratio.

But then as an orriface, such considerations are "one or two pieces of toast" decisions.
  6. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I will give it a try on the dual boot, but fully expect it to be bug - riddled, over - loaded, over - hyped bloatware. We are mugs to keep swallowing the crap Microsoft keep shovelling us, but in reality, its only their (unnecessary) resource hungry applications that keep pushing up people's system requirements.
  7. msr

msr LE

It's only a polish of Vista and the final version won't be available for months.

If you want to be an unpaid crash test dummy, knock yourself out.

Just don't fall for MS marketing 'hype'.

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I know someone who's been trialling it. It's more than just a makeover - the running overheads are greatly reduced, and it does run faster.

Having said that, I'm still running XP and will continue to do so until at least a year into the commercial release of version 7. I wouldn't touch Vista with yours, and I certainly expect to wait at least a year before difficulties with new Windows Operating Systems are ironed out.
  9. I'm going to wait. If it's no more than an polished Vista then I'll plod on with XP for gaming until it's time to get a console - the next generation should be quite tasty. I already do everything except gaming on Linux because, frankly, it 's better than XP now. Setting up a dual boot isn't difficult, and if you slap in a second Linux-only HDD at the same time it's even easier.

Oh, and Vista ? Wouldn't wipe my arrse with it. It's so bad it turned the wife into a Mac user and me into a Linux geek.
  10. msr

msr LE

11. Oh no he isn't.. Winders7 Beta Delayed
  12. msr

msr LE

Oh yes he is: ;)
  13. Oh no he isnt LEGALLY.
  14. msr

msr LE

Conceded :)

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Oh yes he is AND legally too! He's an engineer for Dell, and they HAVE received copies!

The RAM overhead is lower.

Anyhoo - What is it today? Panto? :D