Windows 7 backup questions

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 4(T), Oct 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm setting up my Windows 7 Pro 64 PC to use the backup feature to save to a NAS drive.

Ideally, I'd like it to make one master backup, and then simply synch file changes whenever the PC is switched on.

I've googled around, but still don't understand:

1. does Win 7 backup make a fresh additional backup each time, or will it overwrite the original? (I.e. I don't to fill my NAS with dozens of redundant backup files);

2. can the backup be made incremental - ie just any files changes that have occurred - or can it only make a full backup?

Will I be better off using a third party backup/synch software instead? If so, is there a fairly simple freeware version?

thx

2. I'm not sure about Win 7 software, but you can buy "second copy" for $29.95. I've used it. You have the choice of full or incremental. Also you can make different backup profiles so you can select what/when/how you want your backups to run.

It's also very easy to use.

Windws backup software Second Copy: Pricing and Ordering Licenses

3. Don't be mean! Buy a 'real' backup package like Acronis True Image - it's only $49.99.

4. Ditto. Played with various solutions over the years - finally settled on Acronis about 6 months ago. I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

5. msr

msr LE

6. Thanks for replies. Paragon looks good.

So I guess I can't do a "send incremental updates only" set-up using just Windows 7 own back-up tools?

I don't know why Microsoft always assumes that every PC is going to be switched on 24/7, and thus only offers fixed time schedules for back-ups and other utilities. Seems much more logical to offer a schedule related to when the PC is actually switched on and in use....

7. BUMP .... because I now realise that I was asking the wrong question.

There are a lot of backup solutions which work just fine, including the "push" system in Win 7 itself. This makes a scheduled, incremental (block) backup across my home network to my NetGear ReadyNAS Duo drive.

What I now realise that I want to do is not just make a backup - but to be able to synchronise working files across my home network. The backup for each individual PC will obviously protect the system files and allow a restore of that particular PC, but it of course won't allow data files to be shared or edited. I assume that I need to make a separate server copy of "My Documents", and synchronise this to the network PCs.

So: any recommendations for a decent synchronisation utility?

8. msr

msr LE

Trying to synchronise files between multiple PCs is a losing battle...

9. Have you tried Windows Live Mesh. I have it running on several PC's and it keeps my files synced. You have the option to do a peer to peer sync, and / or sync it to (Microsoft) owned internet site as well.

I am not sure how that will sync the files to your server though.

10. For those that don't know Microsoft have a v good free copy utility called "Sync Toy".

11. Yes, I've been looking at that one. It wasn't immediately clear if it was suitable for Win7 64 (there is a 64 bit version), and some of the reviews are a bit mixed.

I primarily need to synch from my main working PC to a ReadyNAS Duo, but be able to edit and change the files on the NAS from other PCs in the house. I thought originally about trying to synch from the NAS to all four PCs - ie make them all mirror images - but I can see that is inviting complete chaos...