Windows 11 is coming, but not for old hardware.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't bother with gaming mag reviews as I'm not a gamer.

As long as I can find my files and run the apps I need, Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Powerpoint, Photo Editor and the other sundry things that I need then I don't give a stuff about the operating system.

I've had a quick look at a pre-release copy working and wasn't impressed. It does nothing for me that Windows 7 couldn't / doesn't do. The only thing I did like were the options to snap windows which would be useful on my 27" monitor.

Things that would piss me off thoroughly are the amount of bundled adware / crapware (Spotify, Instagram etc) which you apparently can't remove! I don't use either of the above for example.

I've killed all the live tiles on both of my Win10 machines as I don't use them and to be brutally honest, at this stage of my career, I can't be arrsed looking for features that I've used for years which have been changed or hidden at the whim of some software designer who just needs to make it look different for the sake of being different.

In any case, I'm moving more towards using Linux more and more. I may need to buy one more laptop before I retire, otherwise, I won't be bothering to upgrade.

Last edited:
There are a lot of features promised by Microsoft for Windows 11 that haven't made an appearance yet, like running Android apps natively.

"Microsoft has decided to allow PC users who don't meet the minimum system requirements to install Windows 11, but warned in August that those PCs would not be entitled to updates. This doesn't make sense, which I wrote about in detail here—if some people do go ahead and install Windows 11, isn't denying them security updates only going to make the entire Windows 11 ecosystem more vulnerable?"
Already covered in this thread. Microsoft found that the changes to the code made it less stable on old PCs, (post 87) however, those with old PCs wanted to run Windows 11 anyway, so you can but it's at your own risk.

Windows 10 still works and still gets updates for years yet.

Your choice.

I used to be that kid.

Problem was I was in my thirties at the time my late aunty wanted me to show her how to burn downloaded music onto a CD that she could read in a normal player.
And..? That's a simple enough task, or are you hinting at something else?

As previously stated on this thread I am a computer biff so a question if I may. When I type anything, even on these hallowed threads' I get a little suggestion box guessing what the word I'm typing is. See below to see what I mean.

This first appeared on windows 10 and because I download and installed windows 11 over 10 these damn boxes still show up. So how the feckety feck do I turn it off because it's starting to be a tad annoying.

If anyone has a minute of two to explain please (in English) I would appreciate it very much.

Cheers.

ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 07 22.14.gif

As previously stated on this thread I am a computer biff so a question if I may. When I type anything, even on these hallowed threads' I get a little suggestion box guessing what the word I'm typing is. See below to see what I mean.

This first appeared on windows 10 and because I download and installed windows 11 over 10 these damn boxes still show up. So how the feckety feck do I turn it off because it's starting to be a tad annoying.

If anyone has a minute of two to explain please (in English) I would appreciate it very much.

Cheers.

View attachment 608731

Things that would piss me off thoroughly are the amount of bundled adware / crapware (Spotify, Instagram etc) which you apparently can't remove! I don't use either of the above for example.

You can, just right-click the offending app in the start menu and select uninstall. (I got rid of them too).

You can remove the "un-uninstallable" with DISM or PowerShell.

TamH70

MIA

I tried to help out as well but made a mistake in setting up the keywords for the search, and the blind alleys l wandered into got me so confused l got cross-eyed.

Well done you for fixing things.

I tried to help out as well but made a mistake in setting up the keywords for the search, and the blind alleys l wandered into got me so confused l got cross-eyed.

Well done you for fixing things.
Not my first Rodeo ;-)

I spent ages trying to figure out how to turn it off, couldn't find anything. I just tried using turning off predictive text and got loads of hits on how to do it. I guess if I had known what it was called it would have been an easily fixed (for me) problem

I spent ages trying to figure out how to turn it off, couldn't find anything. I just tried using turning off predictive text and got loads of hits on how to do it. I guess if I had known what it was called it would have been an easily fixed (for me) problem
The secret was windows predictive text, otherwise you'll get a million mobile links ;-)

The secret was windows predictive text, otherwise you'll get a million mobile links ;-)

Usually it wouldn't be a problem but my 8 year old granddaughter is now back to school so I was stumped.

TamH70

MIA
Usually it wouldn't be a problem but my 8 year old granddaughter is now back to school so I was stumped.

Ah, so your sweetie-powered tech support was unavailable? Glad someone was able to sort you out.

Ah, so your sweetie-powered tech support was unavailable? Glad someone was able to sort you out.

Oh hey her tech support doesn't come free mate. It usually involves some sort of reward such as a visit to somewhere or some new toy. That girl has a promising future in commerce me thinks.

endure

GCM
Is W11 installing as an upgrade? I have an AMD Storemi SSD/HD hybrid combo and I suspect it might break it.

Is W11 installing as an upgrade? I have an AMD Storemi SSD/HD hybrid combo and I suspect it might break it.
There is a check that'll run before it installs. So you'll be told if computer says no.
For me win11 is meh, not noticing much in the way of a difference.

I now have Windows 11 installed on one of my computers the way I want it. I installed Open Shell on it because since windows 8 I never liked the start menu that came with it. I also installed OldNewExplorer 1.1.9 simply because I like having the menu bar as opposed to the ribbon bar that has been on Windows since version 8.

All work just fine and I like this version of windows.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not going to bother with Win11 for at least 2 years. I have a nearly new HP Probook i7 with 16GB of RAM and SSD but I'm still running Office 2010 because I bought a pack of licenses some years ago and it's fine for what I need. Plus I prefer to use LibreOffice for anything other than collaborative documents. If Win11 decides not to work with Office 2010 then I would not be pleased as I'm damned if I'm paying a yearly fee for M$Office

I was surprised to find one of my major customers has been trialling LibreOffice as an alternative to Word / Excel due to the cost of 400+ M$ licenses for Office365. They recently issued me a number of documents in .odt format which was a vast improvement over the previous forms which were .docx

I'm still running Office 2010

I'm still using Office XP, works fine on 11. Don't see the point of shelling out cash for any other future versions.