Windows 11 is coming, but not for old hardware.

I have a still under warranty PC running an AMD Ryzen 9 processor. I honestly can't say it's given me any problems both with windows 10 and 11
I think that the performance degradation was more apparent during processor and cache intensive operations such as video editing and games. The rest of the time, when there was spare processor capacity, it might have been detected only as a benchmark drop.

A pointless degradation of processor performance is never something to be welcomed, even if it is quite small. But according to @tgo that particular problem has been fixed now with an update.

I think all that rubbish came with the upgrade; as I said, when I sat down to the new version, I went through the programs ('apps') and deleted (using Revo for much of it, such as Ofice365) everything, but obviously some hung around with installers. I clicked on one of them just now and it installed it from the Microsoft store. The Recommended section is pointless; it just shows a few of the files which you were using yesterday. Today's list looks like this (I haven't got much of that actually pinned to the taskbar, so don't understand the logic there):
View attachment 613310
'All apps' in the upper right-hand corner opens the full list. This is just a bit of silly fluff; I don't know why they bothered.

Otherwise, all the system stuff is either the same (with clearer frames and fonts) or improved. I'll keep it.
Right click on those you don't want and uninstall or unpin. Pin to Start those apps you use a lot and they will appear there. So in future you can quick launch your most used Apps.

I finally got Win 11 to load and will use it for a while. First impressions are it's a bit topsy turvy and not really easy to navigate but a bit of perseverance may improve things. I did use the Rufus method indicated by @Sam The Bam :cool:

I finally got Win 11 to load and will use it for a while. First impressions are it's a bit topsy turvy and not really easy to navigate but a bit of perseverance may improve things. I did use the Rufus method indicated by @Sam The Bam :cool:

Give it a couple of days with it, I find it's easier to navigate than Windows 10.

tgo

LE
I havent got round to having it yet but I bet something like openshell or similar will make your taskbar/start menu somewhat similar to what we've all used since windows 95.

I have a problem, and it seems to have started with a second install of Win11 (after the first crashed fairly spectacularly, involving lots of messing around in the BIOS because 'Armoury Crate', the Asus-supplied software intended to update all sorts of system drivers etc, updated to scrambled eggs and ONeg blood).

I use Irfanview to look at and jiggle with all my photos, and tried, as I usually would, to associate JPG, JPEG and BMP files to that, rather than the rubbish 'Photo' app. But this new Windows doesn't even recognise that such extensions exist - they're not in the list of associated extensions. Just silly. Lots of web-searching, and lots of other people with similar problems, but no answer. I should have waited before leaving Win10....

I spent an hour today conversing in the IT-way with a Microsoft 'agent', and got no further forward; I even handed over control of the computer to 'Andrea', who didn't seem to know what a BMP was. She suggested that Irfanview was the faulty party.

However, in a frenzy of anger following that unproductive session, I got rid of all relevant software, did the sfc/scannow stuff and all the rest of it, and reinstalled after a reboot. It works. I hate Microsoft.

Now to fix 'Libraries'.

I havent got round to having it yet but I bet something like openshell or similar will make your taskbar/start menu somewhat similar to what we've all used since windows 95.
That's what I've used with Windows 10. I scurried back to W10 after a brief experimental dalliance with W11.
Microsoft have done the usual thing and fûcked around with some features that nobody asked for. It may be ironed out with future updates, but when has MS ever listened to their users?

tgo

LE
My new PC arrived yesterday with Win 11 installed, I'e instantly installed Winera tweaker (bye bye MS ads) and something called StartAllBack, which pretty much gives me win 95 onwards style start menu.

No other issues yet, but it will take me a good few days to finalise the build as I customise it to suit me, so I'm likely to come across any weirdness, and have the abikity to try and work round it if I do.

My new PC arrived yesterday with Win 11 installed, I'e instantly installed Winera tweaker (bye bye MS ads) and something called StartAllBack, which pretty much gives me win 95 onwards style start menu.

No other issues yet, but it will take me a good few days to finalise the build as I customise it to suit me, so I'm likely to come across any weirdness, and have the abikity to try and work round it if I do.
Get Revo uninstaller. You'll need it.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, after all the hype, will mr average know if its better or not ? i have been using it a while now and apart from the embuggerance of getting to work out how it runs (from win 7) it doesnt seem special to me .

Last edited:
Well, after all the hype, will mr average know if its better or not ? i have been using it a while now and apart from the embuggerance of getting to work put how it runs (from win 7) it doesnt seem special to me .

Mr average will probably not be aware of the under-the-bonnet changes, but he'll sure as hell know about the useful and familiar features that were once available and are no longer. He'll also wonder why some once easily managed features have now become more complicated to access or to employ.

It might improve in time, but it is quite clear now that it was released before it was ready.

Mr average will probably not be aware of the under-the-bonnet changes, but he'll sure as hell know about the useful and familiar features that were once available and are no longer. He'll also wonder why some once easily managed features have now become more complicated to access or to employ.

It might improve in time, but it is quite clear now that it was released before it was ready.

Nothing new there!

tgo

LE
Hrmm I'll try and duplicate as I have one of those Samsung Supa dupa drives, have to say though just from regular use, it certainly doesn't feel slow in the slightest, I hope it isn't one of those benchmark things where it's literally nanoseconds and not perceptible to anyone.

tgo

LE
Meh mine seems ok, alright I have the 2TB PRO thing, rather than the 1 TB standard, but my scores seem ok to me. Still on the chance I'm talking total shite (entirely possible) if MS do 'improve' it, it'll be so fast it'll have to have a chain round it's neck to stop it escaping.

I spent an hour today conversing in the IT-way with a Microsoft 'agent', and got no further forward; I even handed over control of the computer to 'Andrea', who didn't seem to know what a BMP was. She suggested that Irfanview was the faulty party.

However, in a frenzy of anger following that unproductive session, I got rid of all relevant software, did the sfc/scannow stuff and all the rest of it, and reinstalled after a reboot. It works. I hate Microsoft.

Now to fix 'Libraries'.

To be fair not every IT tech will know it's a bitmap image file, with everything web based it's not that common to see these days

Could have been worse they could have thought it was one of these

Army2016demo-007.jpg

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Question about Win 11 for anyone who has actually used it:

The new laptop is Win 11 compatible and would like me to upgrade, I am however, cautious having been on the wrong end of MS updates previously...

I am one of these strange people who prefers the taskbar on the left of my screen and I've had it there since Win 95. Simple reason being that I prefer to be able to see more lines of text on the screen whenever possible.

The simple question is whether or not I can have the taskbar on the left of the screen or not in Win 11.

I've googled this but haven't found any clear answer. Assistance appreciated. This will be one of the killers as to whether I update to Win 11 or not.

Latest Threads