Windows 11 is coming, but not for old hardware.

tgo

LE
You have chosen well. I briefly installed W11 on a laptop. Within a short space of time I had determined that the cosmetic gui changes were of little interest to me. The feature improvements were outweighed by the features that were lost or downgraded. I didn't waste too much time with it before I bailed out back to W10. I'd seen as much as I needed to.

There is also a known decrease in processor functionality affecting AMD processors. It is due to W11 development being made with reference only to Intel. Apparently AMD were not invited to the party by Microsoft. It is said that this will most probably be remedied by future AMD chip driver fixes. Meanwhile, who needs a system with reduced speed or functionality?

It is also early days for W11 and there will be much else to be ironed out. Unpopular changes may well be reversed. W10 is going to be supported for at least another four years and this may well be extended due to the amount of older hardware that will still be around then.
AMD fix already in place.

As of 21 Oct.

I have a still under warranty PC running an AMD Ryzen 9 processor. I honestly can't say it's given me any problems both with windows 10 and 11
I think that the performance degradation was more apparent during processor and cache intensive operations such as video editing and games. The rest of the time, when there was spare processor capacity, it might have been detected only as a benchmark drop.

A pointless degradation of processor performance is never something to be welcomed, even if it is quite small. But according to @tgo that particular problem has been fixed now with an update.

I think all that rubbish came with the upgrade; as I said, when I sat down to the new version, I went through the programs ('apps') and deleted (using Revo for much of it, such as Ofice365) everything, but obviously some hung around with installers. I clicked on one of them just now and it installed it from the Microsoft store. The Recommended section is pointless; it just shows a few of the files which you were using yesterday. Today's list looks like this (I haven't got much of that actually pinned to the taskbar, so don't understand the logic there):
View attachment 613310
'All apps' in the upper right-hand corner opens the full list. This is just a bit of silly fluff; I don't know why they bothered.

Otherwise, all the system stuff is either the same (with clearer frames and fonts) or improved. I'll keep it.
Right click on those you don't want and uninstall or unpin. Pin to Start those apps you use a lot and they will appear there. So in future you can quick launch your most used Apps.

I finally got Win 11 to load and will use it for a while. First impressions are it's a bit topsy turvy and not really easy to navigate but a bit of perseverance may improve things. I did use the Rufus method indicated by @Sam The Bam :cool:

I finally got Win 11 to load and will use it for a while. First impressions are it's a bit topsy turvy and not really easy to navigate but a bit of perseverance may improve things. I did use the Rufus method indicated by @Sam The Bam :cool:

Give it a couple of days with it, I find it's easier to navigate than Windows 10.

tgo

LE
I havent got round to having it yet but I bet something like openshell or similar will make your taskbar/start menu somewhat similar to what we've all used since windows 95.

Latest Threads