Windows 11 is coming, but not for old hardware.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Windows 11 will be with us in time for the "Holiday Season." It will have a "revolutionary" new UI (so, like Apple's OS then) and all sorts of new bloatware bells and whistles.

However, it requires a certain vintage of motherboard to work, specifically you need a Ryzen 2000 series or above, or Intel 8th gen or later, as it requires a TPM 2.0 module on the mobo to function.

Screws me then, as I only have a lowly i5-3570K.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
oh no, I may 'need' a new laptop...

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Windows 11 will be with us in time for the "Holiday Season." It will have a "revolutionary" new UI (so, like Apple's OS then) and all sorts of new bloatware bells and whistles.

However, it requires a certain vintage of motherboard to work, specifically you need a Ryzen 2000 series or above, or Intel 8th gen or later, as it requires a TPM 2.0 module on the mobo to function.

I was with you till you said New UI etc my ole hp pavillion look like its read for the scrapheap now .

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Bugger!
1624620190535.png

Actually running Windows 7 Home.
Acer Aspire that cost £299 from Tesco.
13 years old and absolutely fine for my report writing.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good luck with that. Hopefully, I can "claim" my copy of 11, without actually installing it until I get a new PC.

I've got to decide on a price for the H&S work for the two circus units, a couple of years ago my pricing structure just happened to match the price of the current gaming machine...

Erm......can you say that in English please?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
It'll be full of crap that you don't want and will have to pay for if you use it (games etc).

You'll need a PC made in the last 2 years as anything older won't work with Win 11.

ETA: also expect that a lot of your old programs may not work and you'll have to splash out for new versions, and only subscription versions of MS Office will work

Bugger!
View attachment 584182
Actually running Windows 7 Home.
Acer Aspire that cost £299 from Tesco.
13 years old and absolutely fine for my report writing.

You're not alone, I'm still using Windows 8.1 although I do have Windows 10 on another hard drive and I only have that because the fitness program I use won't install on 8.1

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
You're not alone, I'm still using Windows 8.1 although I do have Windows 10 on another hard drive and I only have that because the fitness program I use won't install on 8.1
The laptop above was bought for the kids when they first started having to do homework on a computer. It sat on a desk in the kitchen alcove for a few years so that we could keep an eye on what they were doing online. It's had the bundled crapware uninstalled and has a good anti-virus package.

I upped it to Win7 not long after we got it and put Office 2010 on it. It also runs some of my legacy software happily. It's had a bigger HDD fitted and one of the keys fell of the keyboard a couple of years ago. A new keyboard cost £11 from ebay and took 10 minutes to fit.

It's nicknamed "the slab" as in paving slab because of the 2.7 kg weight (it's a 15").

However, it's got a good clear screen and even the replacement keyboard is very nice to use, oh, and has a DVD so I can watch films.

As I use my machines for work, I don't care about the OS as long as it doesn't get in the way of me working.

The laptop above was bought for the kids when they first started having to do homework on a computer. It sat on a desk in the kitchen alcove for a few years so that we could keep an eye on what they were doing online. It's had the bundled crapware uninstalled and has a good anti-virus package.

I upped it to Win7 not long after we got it and put Office 2010 on it. It also runs some of my legacy software happily. It's had a bigger HDD fitted and one of the keys fell of the keyboard a couple of years ago. A new keyboard cost £11 from ebay and took 10 minutes to fit.

It's nicknamed "the slab" as in paving slab because of the 2.7 kg weight (it's a 15").

However, it's got a good clear screen and even the replacement keyboard is very nice to use, oh, and has a DVD so I can watch films.

As I use my machines for work, I don't care about the OS as long as it doesn't get in the way of me working.

I'm still using a HP Compaq dc7900 PC that came with windows Vista installed. I binned Vista after a couple of months and stuck Windows 98 on it. It's had a few upgrades over the years but does everything I need it to do.
Mine also has MS Office XP on it and again it does what I need it to do. IIRC we bought the PC around 13 years ago as well and it's still going strong, can't remember what it cost at the time I bought it.

Herself gets a new PC and laptop every couple of years, she uses the laptop for work.

TPM is required for the beta, it may not be for the final release

Journos jumping the gun as usual no doubt

endure

GCM
Does anyone know whether TPM modules are generic or are they specific to a manufacturer? I've got an MSI B450 Mortar Max motherboard which has a 14 pin LPC TPM connector but no TPM module and I can't find any MSI TPM modules for sale.

Would an ASUS/Gigabyte/whatever module of the same spec work?

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
TPM is required for the beta, it may not be for the final release

Journos jumping the gun as usual no doubt
Not according to this;

Scroll down for system requirements

Bit more detail on supported processor

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Does anyone know whether TPM modules are generic or are they specific to a manufacturer? I've got an MSI B450 Mortar Max motherboard which has a 14 pin LPC TPM connector but no TPM module and I can't find any MSI TPM modules for sale.

Would an ASUS/Gigabyte/whatever module of the same spec work?
Provided the pin configuration is the same they should be interchangeable. I got an Asus TPM module for £12 so if you get one and find it's not then it's not a great loss.

15 year old PC, running Win 7, Office 2007 etc. - as reliable as a Lee Enfield or THAT rifle (and now as slow as a 60+ year old veteran:mad:).

Daz

LE
Total underwhelmed by the news

Latest Threads