Windows 10, should I or shouldn`t I?

Got a shock tonight when I booted up my computer from cold. I got sound. From my HDMI output to telly port. Via my R9 390X. This happens so rarely it's a surprise, as I usually have to re-install the sound drivers from scratch every time I start up. And this only happened on Windows 10, as AMD, Realtek and Microsoft hate each other and me and won't usually play nice with each other. And me.

In that single sentence you have invited the everlasting hatred of two sets of fanboys.
And thus starts yet another three way Holy War!

Unix spods v people who actually want to do something productive v people who don’t really give a shit as long as it marks them out as cool when they are doing the SQRT of FA and has a fruity logo.

I disagree with that Doggers old chap.

Windows is fine for everything in my experience. All my important stuff is done in Win10.

I use the iPad for web browsing and reading books. I just get annoyed at how much functionality gets squeezed out of applications in order to shoehorn them onto an iPad. Word and Excel on the iPad look like kiddy starter versions - I am surprised they are not badged with a Micky Mouse image.

All my music is on a PC and I use it for listening to stored music and various radio stations. I would have an issue getting 200GB of music onto an iPad.

I don’t do games but that’s not contentious here.

The iMac I had (for the missus) was a lovely looking piece of kit with a great screen but it wouldn’t run SAGE accounting. Office was neat on the iMac but that’s nothing to do with Apple (although it is their largest application software revenue stream).

Apart from the iPad I don’t think I would want three different OSs in the home/Office.

Main PC & laptop are windows, with assorted VMs containing Linuces and OS X, music and code are cloud based (the proceeds from sale of the records and CDs will pay for decades of Spotify). Work PCs are Linux with windows and Mac VMs.

See?

Before you even download the latest Win10 update
Do WIn10 users actually get a choice...?

By the way, is there a version of that link that actually gives the pertinent information in a form that people who are reasonably computer savvy but nonetheless have lives and interests involving things away from their keyboards, are able to interact with the opposite sex, and who have social lives that don't involve Twatter or Faceberk or the like can understand...??

Last edited:
Before you even download the latest Win10 update, read this...
Windows 10’s latest update is deleting some users’ documents
Another great Microsoft triumph.
It's not deleting documents, they're still there. It's a user profile issue. Still a pain in the arrse, mind. My advice is DONT'T PANIC! It's being addressed by Microsoft as a matter of urgency.

Compare that with crApple: they'd say it wasn't an issue, then they'd blame YOU for looking at your keyboard all wrong.

Please don't use Apple products. It'll make you look a twat.

I'm telling my panicking users to GO TO BED. The rest of them know it is no big deal. A similar thing has happened before.

I reckon a combination of The Pope, The French and The Romanist, Papist, Fenian Church in this case. Or Zeus.

Stop being a bunch of poofs. It IS NOT the end of the world.

Last edited:
I still don't get why users would want to upgrade to a new OS on day zero/one. How many times do you have to get burned? Same thing with most products, including cars.

I think that the public were so relieved that MS were ditching W8 that they were far too quick singing the praises of its replacement. I think we're at the stage now when very many users can agree that it's pump. What makes it even more annoying is that now it is never allowed to settle down. The upgrades are more than fixes, they are OS 'developments' bringing along with them new issues.

However, the nostalgic have been catered for. I now have a BSOD (or whatever the new version is called) about once every two weeks. Something I haven't experienced since Win 95.

I never used Windows 8, except on my Windows phones from Nokia and Microsoft, as it was perfectly designed for that format - and an absolute dog's breakfast when used for a desktop OS that had at the start very many mindless defenders until Microsoft themselves started crapping all over it. Windows 7 Home 64-bit did me fine until I took the option for the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home, and I've still got a free Windows 10 Pro upgrade in the bank.

Next time I do a full strip down, deep clean and rebuild of my current box, I'm probably going to put Windows 10 Pro on it.

I know little about things computer but a Computer nerd in a shop that just fixed my laptop said that a windows 10 upgrade online has proved problematical,but if you start with a clean computer & 10 is your desired system & is loade as a original you should be ok.I know nothing.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Apple indeed. I have just downloaded an update to an iPad and it took be quite a while to find out where my pdfs had been hidden. The net of it was that the interface had been adapted so as to try and sell me things, mostly trashy garbage books that never in years would I even buy off a throwout stall.

All 3 of my Pcs are win10 now and I'm happy with it so far. I did lose some files, but with some tech help, I recovered the important ones.

It is significantly better, but it does take some getting used to. Whoever designed it had little or no love for Vista or Win7/8