Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window tint insurance issue

Sounds like the Audi driving surgeon:

(a) had a reasonable expectation that a fairly new car obtained from a main dealer would be road legal, and

(b) didn't give Plod a load of verbal, and was co-operative

Point (b) being something that certain demographics would do well do adopt in their dealings with the Constabulary.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds like the Audi driving surgeon:

(a) had a reasonable expectation that a fairly new car obtained from a main dealer would be road legal, and

(b) didn't give Plod a load of verbal, and was co-operative

Point (b) being something that certain demographics would do well do adopt in their dealings with the Constabulary.
Absolutely 100%

serious paint stripper to soften it up. As the traditional old school nitromores is unavailable a quick ebay search for industrial paint stripper definitely not for domestic use will get you a can of the good stuff.

A gallon of methylene chloride does wonders

You coppers really used to grip my shit.
I used to be a despatch rider, and regularly would turn up at the local nick with four or five producers per week.
Just to piss off the desk bloke i would ask him for a SGC application form .

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Drug dealers, don't they drive underlit Range Rovers, sporting low profiles and spinners, along with the heavy tint, with a ground shaking bass beat coming out of every orifice...................been a few years since I left, so it may have changed.
Not wrong, Grandad, it's all rims, AMG Mercs. Spinners, pah, they're so Noughties!
1599263198552.png

If you go to a windscreen replacement outfit they will sell you a nifty little tool for a couple of quid.
Unfortunateley they only sell the razors in packs of twenty.
But once you tease away the edge and get the blade under the film you can peel it off in minutes.
Does a really good job of cleaning up the glass without any solvents, Just razor to glass like having a shave.
They will rape you for the cost of the razors though.

If you go to a windscreen replacement outfit they will sell you a nifty little tool for a couple of quid.
Unfortunateley they only sell the razors in packs of twenty.
But once you tease away the edge and get the blade under the film you can peel it off in minutes.
Does a really good job of cleaning up the glass without any solvents, Just razor to glass like having a shave.
They will rape you for the cost of the razors though.

Mate of mine used to do the self adhesive letter signage stuff. He used a spray bottle full of water with a tiny squit of fairy liquid (other detergents are available) when removing the adhesive from glass surfaces using a razor. Squirt the soapy mix on the glass, hold the blade at a low angle and scrape up line by line, re-squirt then scrape across line by line. He told me the soapy water lets the blade slide over without scratching the glass.

Back when we had staff and resources we did a multi agency thingy with Trumpton, Council and VOSA near the main Barryboys hangout, conveniently within a one way system.

An unmarked Traffic car cruised the site and marked likely targets for the marked car to pull, Council handed out littering fines; while the rest were stopped at our checkpoint.

Shite driving/minor infractions went off to a bus where Trumpton gave them a horror show. The more 'interesting' vehicles were enthusiastically examined at the scene by VOSA, about six were uplifted there and then and at one stage we had a row of four busy pulling off the tinted film if they wanted to go home with their car.

Happy days :)

Last edited:
You coppers really used to grip my shit.
I used to be a despatch rider, and regularly would turn up at the local nick with four or five producers per week.
Just to piss off the desk bloke i would ask him for a SGC application form .
There used to be two methods of avoiding ‘producers’
1) Don’t speed or drive in the manner that caused traffic stops
2) Carry your log book, insurance, MOT & licence

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just purchased a venerable soft roader for filling with mud and blood cow shit and cartridges out on the farm. On the drive home all went well except it was a bit dark inside.
On going through the receipts i found a disclaimer from the tint company signed by the previous owner for the front driver and passenger sde windows being too dark over 30% so my insurance was invalid for the 150 mile drive home and the sale was technically illegal. Now i have to remove the front side window tints. Annoying and silly. Some clown spent over £200 tinting the windows on a 10 year old crv
Tinted windows an indicator of tinted occupants ??

Heat gun and a finger nail to start it moderate heat but lots of it, did it slowly and got them both off in one piece. I think i was lucky cheers for the tips. About 40 mins for both

Heat gun and a finger nail to start it moderate heat but lots of it, did it slowly and got them both off in one piece. I think i was lucky cheers for the tips. About 40 mins for both
I suppose you'll be looking for a reflective window film now?