Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window tint insurance issue

Just purchased a venerable soft roader for filling with mud and blood cow shit and cartridges out on the farm. On the drive home all went well except it was a bit dark inside.
On going through the receipts i found a disclaimer from the tint company signed by the previous owner for the front driver and passenger sde windows being too dark over 30% so my insurance was invalid for the 150 mile drive home and the sale was technically illegal. Now i have to remove the front side window tints. Annoying and silly. Some clown spent over £200 tinting the windows on a 10 year old crv

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Just purchased a venerable soft roader for filling with mud and blood cow shit and cartridges out on the farm. On the drive home all went well except it was a bit dark inside.
On going through the receipts i found a disclaimer from the tint company signed by the previous owner for the front driver and passenger sde windows being too dark over 30% so my insurance was invalid for the 150 mile drive home and the sale was technically illegal. Now i have to remove the front side window tints. Annoying and silly. Some clown spent over £200 tinting the windows on a 10 year old crv
Normal for the chav, drug dealer and idiot brigade, oddly including some older people who you would expect to be more sensible.

Use a hairdryer on the film to warm it up and peel it gently.

Then give the windows a thorough clean with a good glass cleaner to remove the residue.

Normal for the chav, drug dealer and idiot brigade, oddly including some older people who you would expect to be more sensible.

Use a hairdryer on the film to warm it up and peel it gently.

Then give the windows a thorough clean with a good glass cleaner to remove the residue.
Thanks.

Ritch

LE
I watched one of those Traffic Cop shows not long ago and a crappy, old Ford Fiesta was stopped.

As mentioned above, the legal limit is that they should let 70% of light in. This had something like 9% ... And was being driven at night.

The bloke got a bit chopsy and refused to peel the tints off the window when told by the cop so had his car seized as a result. What a twit.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Acquaintance of mine had an Audi A8 nearly new ex- demo from the dealers (yes, he's minted). I remarked to him that I thought his front windows were darker than legal albeit not extreme, but he'd bought the car from a main Audi dealership so he assumed that it was all ok. Couple of years later he got pulled for the windows - which were too dark.

Explanation to the police, followed by an embarassed dealer collecting the car on a low loader and him being loaned a top of the range Q7 for two days. police were satisfied that it wasn't his fault and he didn't get points or fine.

Its all a bit silly i would definitely worry about driving it at night in poorly lit areas.
If the heat method struggles i have some serious paint stripper to soften it up. As the traditional old school nitromores is unavailable a quick ebay search for industrial paint stripper definitely not for domestic use will get you a can of the good stuff.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't use solvents or nitromors, a few drops on the door trims or paint will end up costing you £££ to fix.

The film comes off easily when warmed up.

Acquaintance of mine had an Audi A8 nearly new ex- demo from the dealers (yes, he's minted). I remarked to him that I thought his front windows were darker than legal albeit not extreme, but he'd bought the car from a main Audi dealership so he assumed that it was all ok. Couple of years later he got pulled for the windows - which were too dark.

Explanation to the police, followed by an embarassed dealer collecting the car on a low loader and him being loaned a top of the range Q7 for two days. police were satisfied that it wasn't his fault and he didn't get points or fine.

Lucky all around as he could still have been done for "using a vehicle in a dangerous condition", and arguably the dealership who, presumably, did the work and then sold the car could have been done for "causing the use of a vehicle in a dangerous condition", as they would be expected to sell legally roadworthy vehicles.

Unless it has been repealed, or superceded, then this still applies.......................

The Road Traffic Act 1991 states that:
  • A person is also guilty of using a vehicle in a dangerous condition if he/she uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when the purpose for which it is used or the weight position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Lucky all around as he could still have been done for "using a vehicle in a dangerous condition", and arguably the dealership who, presumably, did the work and then sold the car could have been done for "causing the use of a vehicle in a dangerous condition", as they would be expected to sell legally roadworthy vehicles.

Unless it has been repealed, or superceded, then this still applies.......................

The Road Traffic Act 1991 states that:
  • A person is also guilty of using a vehicle in a dangerous condition if he/she uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when the purpose for which it is used or the weight position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.
Indeed. Fortunately, he is a well known surgeon and was on his way into a large teaching hospital at the time.

Evidently the police comment was "you don't look like our normal clientele sir".

Quite clearly, as a middle aged bloke in a £800 suit and £100 shirt would not look like your average drug dealer.

Indeed. Fortunately, he is a well known surgeon and was on his way into a large teaching hospital at the time.

Evidently the police comment was "you don't look like our normal clientele sir".

Quite clearly, as a middle aged bloke in a £800 suit and £100 shirt would not look like your average drug dealer.

Drug dealers, don't they drive underlit Range Rovers, sporting low profiles and spinners, along with the heavy tint, with a ground shaking bass beat coming out of every orifice...................been a few years since I left, so it may have changed.

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I watched one of those Traffic Cop shows not long ago and a crappy, old Ford Fiesta was stopped.

As mentioned above, the legal limit is that they should let 70% of light in. This had something like 9% ... And was being driven at night.

The bloke got a bit chopsy and refused to peel the tints off the window when told by the cop so had his car seized as a result. What a twit.

They shoulda told him it was anti-shatter film <baton baton baton!> '
'Oh maybe you should get your money back Sir, looks like it doesn't work! Evenin' All.....'

Arte_et_Marte

ADC

Strange that the driver didn't get fined or at least a warning.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Strange that the driver didn't get fined or at least a warning.
He's a nationally renowned hand and foot surgeon without giving his persec away, as well as a polite and pleasant bloke.

Plod being sensible in this case.

ETA, his first reaction to being pulled would have been "good afternoon officer, how can I help you?"

As I mentioned, the tints weren't extreme, just not legal. He wasn't allowed to drive the car any further, but then he was just pulling into the hospital car park when pulled over.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
He's a nationally renowned hand and foot surgeon without giving his persec away, as well as a polite and pleasant bloke.

Plod being sensible in this case.

ETA, his first reaction to being pulled would have been "good afternoon officer, how can I help you?"

As I mentioned, the tints weren't extreme, just not legal. He wasn't allowed to drive the car any further, but then he was just pulling into the hospital car park when pulled over.

Fair one. I only thought it strange as I'm a retired copper.

If i was pulled i would plead ignorance (the truth) and offer very earnestly and politely to drive home with the windows down