wind turbines switched off due to high winds

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by bigbird67, Sep 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Of course they shut down in high winds. The tabloids stick up a news article when there's no news to get a reaction from all the morons who don't understand simple physics. If they don't shut down, this sort of thing happens;

Wind turbine crashing in storm - YouTube

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

They were turned off the other week because they were generatinjg too much electricity.
    I actualy saw one going teh other week - do I win a prize

3. Thats a bit harsh.And why was there a camera pointing at it when it exploded?

4. Can't they just alter the pitch of the blades? Or is it the wrong kind of wind?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harsh? i didn't think so, but I apologise profusely to anyone upset by such harshness.

The blades didn't feather to stop it and they knew the windspeed at which the blades would bend enough to meet the mast.

6. I bow to Einstein onetap but as i said, my reason for posting it was.....

"the headline made me snigger!"

As do things about the wrong type of snow/rain/leaves etc and old people slipping on banana skins!!

Carry on......

7. Why post it? Just tabloids trying to make news out of no-news.

8. because...it...made.....me....larf!!!!

see....small words!!

And yes little things please little minds. I laugh at Tom and jerry too!

• Like Like x 1
  9. About fucking time they turned them off, it's windy enough without 'em and think how much electricity they use!

This used to be all trees here....Wulfgang's bratties there was......like donkey dicks.......that was when I was a lad.........

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Does that stuff come on pallets or in bulk? Can you shovel it with a Drott and how much do you use for each windmill? Whatever. I'll take 40 tons for starters. COD, delivery central Northumberland. Cheers. Fucking great horrible flapping things. Not you BigBird. The windmills.

11. Do you think they merely resembled donkey dicks?

As Bismarch said, "The less people know about how sausages, laws and wind turbines are made, the better they'll sleep at night”

Cameron had one put on his roof, which should tell you all you need to know.

12. Did you take your SLR to bed as well