Winchester P 14

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by semper, Dec 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anybody has any info on Winchester P 14 ?

i tried to find out more about it on net , no use , its mostly American links on the Enfield varients and under lever weapons.

this one is a Bolt action rifle.

any good ?

2. It's the same gun as the Enfield P17 except that the P14 is .303 instead of 30.06.

It started life as the P13 chambered for .276, and was originally envisaged as a replacement for the L/E. WW1 put paid to that idea, but the P14 was produced in the US by Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone. When the yanks joined the war, they were short of Springfields, so had the P17 made in 30.06 by these factories since they were already tooled up for production of the P14.

3. hello maybe i should also be be clear, this is chambered to 7.62, single shot target rifle,

if it is related to p14 and 17 then it is a good pedigree it also has been rebarelled.

4. The original rifle was pretty good. They were used to some extent as sniper rifles in WW1. I've no idea what it's like now, sounds like it's had quite an extensive re-work. Are you thinking about buying it?

5. the p14 is a mauser clone, built by the yankees during ww1 when SMLE production in the uk was behind schedule, very strong action and accurate, a lot of them were used as sniper rifles,
    dug out of stores and issued to mr mannerings home boy krew and other home guard units in WW2.
    was popular on the long range paper punchers circuit for years, still a lot around today, like this specimen rechambered in other cals. was popular for use in wildcat chamberings for a while,
    single shot is a pain, check if original parts can be fitted to restore the 5 shot mag or i'v seen some in 7.62 that have been converted to take an SLR mag.

stealths two cents? if its not original for collecting your better off getting something like a remmington 700.

ps is it sitting in 'gunshop' hertfordshire by any chance?

6. this is the image of it £ 187 which includes the Bipod, the back sight is adjusted by wheels, the history as far as i know is that it was an Ex Police rifle, possibly dated from the 60s, mind you the rifle except the barrel may of an older vintage but somehow i dont think so , i could be wrong.

would you say this would used as a sniper rifle ?

[​IMG]

7. As far as I'm aware the police used a 7.62 Lee-Enfield type (Enfield Enforcer) as a sniper rifle.

From the photo it doesn't look like much of the rifle is original. Not living in the UK, I don't know about the price, but it doesn't sound excessive.

8. That is a heavily reworked P14 or P17. P14 and P17 actions were often used in sporting rifles -even the very best London names - when the supply of FN & Obendorf mauser actions dried up.

The reason behind the existence of the P13/14/17 family is that the target shooting lobby in the Army Rifle Association was aghast at the SMLE when it was first introduced (1907 I think). "Too long for a carbine, too short for a rifle" they said, desoite that being the point behind it - ie a universal rifle for infantry and cavalry. They wanted a mauser actioned rifle, because it was a newer design and had theoretical advantages in terms of strength and accuracy. They also wanted a higher velocity weapon than .303, as high velocity and flat trajectory really got their juices flowing.

They lobbied successfully and eventually the P13 in .276 was introduced for trials in 1913. It was found that it was actually too high in velocity for practical purposes as it produced a monstrous muzzle flash and wore out the barrels in next to no time. Before they could rectify this, WW1 started so Tommy was off to war with the SMLE which, as we all now now, went on to become probably the finest bolt action battle rifle ever.

As stated above, the P14 was a conversion to .303 and the P17 was a US produced model in .30-06. The P17s are by far the most common and were issued to the Home Guard in WW2, along with P14s. They had to be clearly marked with the calibre, as the rifles look almost identical on the outside. Next time you watch Dad's Army, have a look at the rifles. They're P14s or P17s.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats not an original stock which perversly makes it more valuable as a target rifle. The heavy 7.62 barrels were generally 1 in 12 twist ish and good for most bullet weights out to 1000yards. I have put 220 gn matchkings through mine with a chopped mil stock and aperture (PH7) sights at 1000 getting bulls a plenty with some V's. Used to be the bisley workhorse from the 60's till people developed new rifles, Musgraves, RPA, AI etc which left these as club guns. To behonest with careful cleaning there is little reason these cant still produce the goods. Mine is scoped and used soley for testing handloads. Still nice to shoot. P13 would be hens teeth if found, Winchester P14s were the best followed by Remington and Eddystone. The SMLE was retired from sniping and the No3 rifle P14 Winchester F* was the interwar sniping arm until the No4 T arrived. Oddly enough the first of those were converted No1 Mk V1 trials rifles put back through the factory. Yes I am an Anorack hence HBSA membership! The Enforcer was the preferred plod sniping arm which contracts kept alive the Enfield skills in producing 7.62 barreled quality No 4 actioned rifles till the L39 and L42 were in great demand!

10. looks a bargin for 185,the harris bipods alone worth a few quid.

been quite moded for long range target shooting, plobly only the reciever/bolt on it original,

has it got an after market adjustable match trigger fitted?

get a decent one peice sight rail slapped on top on the reciever, and with a good scope its a sniper in anyones opinion.

11. Lots of these P14 7.62mm target rifles going cheap: whilst generally very accurate, they're a generation or three behind the latest target kit, and the other market - converting them back into military configuration for .303 enthusiasts - is a non-starter because original stocks and .303 barrels are extremely scarce. Lots of them are languishing in gunshops and auction rooms because - given the imposed limits on gun ownership - most people opt to use their variations for either a modern target rifle, or an original military rifle.

A very good rifle if you want to do club target shooting on the cheap but don't care too much about winning prizes, or good for scoping up and plinking away as a faux sniper. The bipod and sight are worth about £100 on their own, but you might find it a struggle to sell the rifle on eventually....

12. The NRA now cater for "First Generation 7.62mm Target Rifles" in the Trafalgar meeting and the HBSA also have a class for then in some of their competitions under the title "Green Spot".
    This type of rifle is only now finding a spot for itself after years of neglect in the gun club cupboard, I suspect that many of them will hold their value................just!

13. cheers so I have made a good purchase.

the Rifle was £130 on its own.
    but with it being so heavy at the front, I opted to buy a Bipod (£48.50p) with an adapter (£8.50p) , quite pricy I know, but if I wanted to be able to concentrate on aiming without trying to hold the rifle up, this is the way to go.

so for me its a cheap start up for target shooting, after about 800 rounds the cost will be more than the rifle itself ! at about £18 per 100.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I picked up a box of 10 recievers in the auctions for £20, after a bit of work to fit a scope to my rifle the rest are sat with an RFD in the mids. Yes there are the odd winchestr in amongst them! Good fun to shoot and with some work can be made to feed from the magazine reliably enough!

15. had a nice shootout on my winchester P14, fairly accurate , had to learn how to use my sight system, may buy a scope later any tips on what to look for on a scope.

[​IMG]

the first one is obviously mine, the other 2 belongs to other members of the gun club.